Vive Le Rock #88

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Vive Le Rock #88

Post by Bear Cage »

When Hugh quit he didn’t go to the others and say “I think we should disband” or similar, he said “I’m leaving the Stranglers”, so shouldn’t have been surprised when (to our good fortune) they carried on without him, instead of disbanding.
Since then we’ve had a number of good, and a poor album or two, from both Hugh and the Stranglers (plus some fucking great gigs and a few excellent albums), with most (but definitely not all) from both sides being better than the last they did together.
Hopefully we’re gonna get quite a few more excellent gigs, and maybe another quality album or three.
As such I’m looking forwards to live gigs in 2022 from both The Stranglers and from Hugh and his band, as well as new albums as and when they appear.
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
ricam
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by ricam »

StanInBlack wrote:
Lafleur wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 15:02 Does Hugh's greatest fan and admirer also know when we get the new album from Mr Melody Hugh Cornwell which will certainly surpass the tribute Stranglers act latest effort called Dark Matters? :mrgreen:
I dunno. Ask him/her.

The only thing that I can be certain of as a mere fan of his solo work is that it's almost certain to be superior to Dark Matters, because all of his proper solo work so far has been.
I would suggest you are possibly the UKs biggest Hugh fan.

I'd be hard pushed to find anyone as passionate to the point of aggression against (imagined) damage to his legacy etc etc.

I would also find it hard to find anyone so into his solo work.

Lets face it, if there was a bigger fan, they would be posting on here wouldn't he/she?

The fact that he now has a tiny fanbase would strengthen my point.

In fact I would wager you are the only forum (any forum) member in the UK with a picture of Hugh as his avatar

Always an old picture, never the older craggier current Hugh.

As for his solo albums being better?

I tried listening to Monster a few times (more than some did with DM) and it just sounds tired and leaden to me.

Being one of his biggest fans is nothing to shy away from.

Whatever floats yer boat.

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk

Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

ricam wrote: 17 Dec 2021, 00:01
I would suggest you are possibly the UKs biggest Hugh fan.

I'd be hard pushed to find anyone as passionate to the point of aggression against (imagined) damage to his legacy etc etc.

I would also find it hard to find anyone so into his solo work.

Lets face it, if there was a bigger fan, they would be posting on here wouldn't he/she?

The fact that he now has a tiny fanbase would strengthen my point.

In fact I would wager you are the only forum (any forum) member in the UK with a picture of Hugh as his avatar

Always an old picture, never the older craggier current Hugh.

As for his solo albums being better?

I tried listening to Monster a few times (more than some did with DM) and it just sounds tired and leaden to me.

Being one of his biggest fans is nothing to shy away from.

Whatever floats yer boat.

Almost spot on, although you forgot our 😈/resident expert’s Administrator partner / alter ego’s avatar
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

ricam wrote: 17 Dec 2021, 00:01 I would suggest you are possibly the UKs biggest Hugh fan.
...and I'm telling you that I'm not, as much of a fan of his solo work as I am. The fact that I have a picture of Hugh as my avatar is neither here nor there. My avatar could be a picture of absolutely anything and it wouldn't change the way I post one jot.
Bear Cage wrote: 17 Dec 2021, 00:14 Administrator partner / alter ego’s avatar
:lol:

Hey, look Jim! It's yet another one that thinks we're the same person.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

That's hilarious! - Stan isn't Hugh's biggest fan by a long stretch. I can think of another 4 people who idolise Hugh (met one at his last gig). Not every fan posts on here. You're pretty naive if you think that.

Jim
StanInBlack wrote: 17 Dec 2021, 00:38
ricam wrote: 17 Dec 2021, 00:01 I would suggest you are possibly the UKs biggest Hugh fan.
...and I'm telling you that I'm not, as much of a fan of his solo work as I am. The fact that I have a picture of Hugh as my avatar is neither here nor there. My avatar could be a picture of absolutely anything and it wouldn't change the way I post one jot.
Bear Cage wrote: 17 Dec 2021, 00:14 Administrator partner / alter ego’s avatar
:lol:

Hey, look Jim! It's yet another one that thinks we're the same person.
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Lafleur
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Lafleur »

I always felt the way Hugh left, quit the band was a strange one. Why didn't he say to the other free members vis à vis I don't like how we work together any more and let us discuss the whole situation. If we don't find a way how I can feel comfortably I will quit the band. Maybe we should make a break for a year or so and see how we can manage it to continue or not. Just make a Telephon call to each of the three and say I quit, bye bye... strange for me.
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

Lafleur wrote: 17 Dec 2021, 10:01 I always felt the way Hugh left, quit the band was a strange one. Why didn't he say to the other free members vis à vis I don't like how we work together any more and let us discuss the whole situation. If we don't find a way how I can feel comfortably I will quit the band. Maybe we should make a break for a year or so and see how we can manage it to continue or not. Just make a Telephon call to each of the three and say I quit, bye bye... strange for me.
Loads of people quit things in a dramatic fashion because it feels right at the time, when other people might think there was a way to save the situation. Maybe he felt that he'd rather go than issue what amounts to an ultimatum - work my way, or I'm off. It could have been more dramatic, he could always have quit on stage. "Bu**ger this, I'm leaving the band. Now, this is 'Punch and Judy'. 1, 2, 3, 4 ... "
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I think there were pressures from the record company and if he was gonna do it then the time was right. Musta been stressful! Took some balls

I agree though, most bands now would've just taken a year out (the Manics did it with good affect). Back then I guess the pressure was on to deliver albums or tour.

Jim
Lafleur wrote: 17 Dec 2021, 10:01 I always felt the way Hugh left, quit the band was a strange one. Why didn't he say to the other free members vis à vis I don't like how we work together any more and let us discuss the whole situation. If we don't find a way how I can feel comfortably I will quit the band. Maybe we should make a break for a year or so and see how we can manage it to continue or not. Just make a Telephon call to each of the three and say I quit, bye bye... strange for me.
sendwarrior
Rats Rally

Post by sendwarrior »

Some on here are working from the mistaken beilief that Shug was entirely responsible for all the MK1 hit songs, and therefore of far greater importance than as a mere 1/4 of the band.. :roll:

The fact is that Mr Greenfield was mainly responsible for their greatest hit (Golden Brown) and arguably his keyboard work made many of their songs stand out. The other indispuatable fact is that Mr Burnel was an equal force in the song writing and his contribution on bass and vocals can hardly be considered minor. And finally the band wouldn't have even got off the ground if it wasn't for Mr Black giving them a place to live, a tour (ice cream) van and the benefit of his business acumen, not to mention his unique drumming style.

But hey, some people believe Trump and Johnson, so the facts don't really matter do they? :P
🖤 UNBROKEN 🖤
ricam
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by ricam »

sendwarrior wrote:Some on here are working from the mistaken beilief that Shug was entirely responsible for all the MK1 hit songs, and therefore of far greater importance than as a mere 1/4 of the band.. :roll:

The fact is that Mr Greenfield was mainly responsible for their greatest hit (Golden Brown) and arguably his keyboard work made many of their songs stand out. The other indispuatable fact is that Mr Burnel was an equal force in the song writing and his contribution on bass and vocals can hardly be considered minor. And finally the band wouldn't have even got off the ground if it wasn't for Mr Black giving them a place to live, a tour (ice cream) van and the benefit of his business acumen, not to mention his unique drumming style.

But hey, some people believe Trump and Johnson, so the facts don't really matter do they? :P
Spot on.

Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Yanders »

Some on here are working from the mistaken beilief that Shug was entirely responsible for all the MK1 hit songs, and therefore of far greater importance than as a mere 1/4 of the band..
When we all know that he's only responsible when we're talking about songs and albums we don't like.
The fact is that Mr Greenfield was mainly responsible for their greatest hit (Golden Brown)
It's only on this forum where the lyricist and arranger of a song has virtually no input.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

The Stranglers are MKI for most people. It's not JJ, it's not Hugh, it's the 4 of them that created those songs. In the example you gave with Dave it was Hugh that sat down with Dave and encouraged him to lay Golden Brown down and Hugh then added the lyrics. If it wasn't for Hugh Dave would've just had this cool keyboard part in his head forever. Also, JJ didn't want anything to do with it.

To keep the facts flowing what you have now is 1 original member just as Hugh is 1 original member also performing with the band.

No emotion in the above from me - just the facts

Jim
sendwarrior wrote: 17 Dec 2021, 10:55 Some on here are working from the mistaken beilief that Shug was entirely responsible for all the MK1 hit songs, and therefore of far greater importance than as a mere 1/4 of the band.. :roll: