Toulouse

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

strangledinAuch
The Man They Love To Hate

Toulouse

Post by strangledinAuch »

What a great night that was
OK it's not the Stranglers we once knew,but these guys put on a hell of a show
And for that,me personally will always be grateful

Onto the gig
Big surprise with them opening with Toiler,was expecting Water,which they played later on in the set
The other songs were pretty much as the 1st date
With the exceptions of,5 Minutes, Unbroken & Go Buddy Go all dropped
Two nice surprises SBC & MSD were added

Really good turn out looked almost full
And the crowd really seemed to get into it from the off
Personally,really enjoyed Folie & The Lines,which I thought I wouldn't
Very different live

The new stuff off DM was really well received too,especially WS
The Mk1 stuff was stokingly good,especially ND,HA,WOB & Duchess

The encore was The Lines,Tank and rounded off with NMH,which brought the house down
One thing I did pick up on,was the knowledge of the French public in relation to the Mk1 stuff

It was such a great night, after all this covid shit
Whatever your views are on the Stranglers 2021
There's no way you wouldn't have enjoyed this gig!

In traditional French marking style

Note 9,33 (1) 8)
See You At The Bar
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: Toulouse

Post by theraven1979 »

Nice one - sounds good!

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

That's good. Glad you enjoyed it. Lt Kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Yes thanks for the report on the gig it sounded great by all means,it didn't take to long for the return of Toiler as an opener lol
They seem to be really changing the set about which is good but also that's fine and ok when your a unit who have been doing that together for years that's why i think you have to really give credit and praise to Toby for staying with it all having to learn so many for his debut tour ...well done Toby!
Last edited by toilerinblack on 07 Dec 2021, 19:25, edited 1 time in total.
jeromeinparis
Down In The Sewer

Post by jeromeinparis »

whatever we say on this forum, hi Stan :), for 40 years I wake up and I say to myself wow what a luck to love the Stranglers, and to have for so many years new things to listen to and share, go to their concerts, meet great people in black and do on.
Fruitless debates have never moved the world forward.

So yes, sure the MKI Stranglers are now just JJ. Hugh is gone, Jet is retired, Dave is in keyboard heaven.
Baz has been doing the job for over 20 years (I've seen more shows with Baz than with Hugh ...), Jim beats the drums as he should, Toby is a good student, and especially JJ never seemed to me in such great shape for ages.

MKI was awesome, I didn't like the part with Paul at all, I never listen to those albums.
Since they've gone back to 4 I'm happy to see them play again.

I was in Valenciennes on November 29, and frankly it was very moving to see them on stage. It wasn't all perfect, but these aren't robots (Hey Hey), thank goodness. People were really happy with the concert, it showed on their faces.

I see them tomorrow in Paris with a friend, and I'm sure we'll have a good time (to die).

Let's be happy to love the Stranglers even with their flaws, how many bands last that long?

my twitter account is soniceinparis for those who want to follow me :smt007
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

jeromeinparis wrote: 07 Dec 2021, 17:15 whatever we say on this forum, hi Stan :), for 40 years I wake up and I say to myself wow what a luck to love the Stranglers, and to have for so many years new things to listen to and share, go to their concerts, meet great people in black and do on.

So yes, sure the MKI Stranglers are now just JJ. Hugh is gone, Jet is retired, Dave is in keyboard heaven.
Baz has been doing the job for over 20 years (I've seen more shows with Baz than with Hugh ...), Jim beats the drums as he should, Toby is a good student, and especially JJ never seemed to me in such great shape for ages.

MKI was awesome, I didn't like the part with Paul at all, I never listen to those albums.

I was in Valenciennes on November 29, and frankly it was very moving to see them on stage. It wasn't all perfect, but these aren't robots (Hey Hey), thank goodness. People were really happy with the concert, it showed on their faces.

I see them tomorrow in Paris with a friend, and I'm sure we'll have a good time (to die).

Let's be happy to love the Stranglers even with their flaws, how many bands last that long?

Sir a very nice post. Lt Kudu. :smt006
strangledinAuch

jeromeinparis wrote: 07 Dec 2021, 17:15 whatever we say on this forum, hi Stan :), for 40 years I wake up and I say to myself wow what a luck to love the Stranglers, and to have for so many years new things to listen to and share, go to their concerts, meet great people in black and do on.

my sentiments exactly
See You At The Bar
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Very nicely said and phrased and i feel the same too about this band too that have always been there through my life,through my ups and downs i turn to listen to them since i was at school and i still listen to those very same songs now as a Grandad as i did all those decades ago, there has been good band changes and albums that have been good and not so good depending on what side of the fence you are on,but even the not so good albums have had something new on it that i will like and play and play again.Long trips on the road this band have been there to keep me going
and when i have worked long hours in the past in the night i've listened to them to help me stay awake and get me through,so this is why i really on the whole for a band that has always been there for me music wise i don't really like to knock but support.
Like i have said before as a band my gig days are done but i am still 100% behind them who still enjoys their music like i have always done from the very beginning days of MK1 seeing and loving this band's music back at school where i can still clearly remember sitting next to my mate who used to go to Gary Numan gigs where i would go to Stranglers gigs and we would report back to each other about the gigs we went to and get each other to listen to the other artists music telling each other to listen to this track and that track and it's brilliant you've got to listen to it and we would lol.
This band will always be a part of my life so this band will ...always have my support in whatever format they are in they still are The Stranglers!
Last edited by toilerinblack on 07 Dec 2021, 19:53, edited 5 times in total.
jeromeinparis
Down In The Sewer

Post by jeromeinparis »

toilerinblack wrote: 07 Dec 2021, 19:38

Very nicely said and phrased and i feel the same too about this band too that have always been there through my life,through my ups and downs i turn to listen to them since i was at school and i still listen to those very same songs now as a Grandad as i did all those decades ago, there has been good band changes and albums that have not been so good depending on what side of the fence you are on,but even the not so good albums have had something new on it that i will like and play and play again.Long trips on the road this band have been there to keep me going when i have worked long hours in the past in the night i've listened to them to help me stay awake and get through,so this is why i really on the whole for a band that has always been there for me music wise i don't really like to knock but support.
Like i have said before as a band my gig days are done but i am still 100% behind them and still am very much enjoying their music like i have always done from the very beginning days seeing and loving this band's music back at school where i can still clearly remember sitting next to my mate who used to go to Gary Numan gigs where i would go to stranglers gigs and we would report to each other about the gigs and how good they were.This band will always be a part of my life.
Nice words too Toiler :smt006
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

It's really nice to hear real true stranglers fans accounts and how much this band through time has meant to them and i always think i can't believe all those years ago that i picked the Stranglers to follow little would i know they would be there for me all through my life it's quite incredible really,i could of followed a band that could of also of stopped decades ago lol......so i unknowingly picked SO RIGHTLY!
strangledinAuch

toilerinblack wrote: 07 Dec 2021, 19:58 It's really nice to hear real true stranglers fans accounts and how much this band through time has meant to them and i always think i can't believe all those years ago that i picked the Stranglers to follow little would i know they would be there for me all through my life it's quite incredible really,i could of followed a band that could of also of stopped decades ago lol......so i unknowingly picked SO RIGHTLY!
You did indeed sir

My cousin said to me in 1979,yeah you like them now,but you will move on

I knew there and then the Stranglers wouldn't be topped

And here we are in 2021,turns out I was right
See You At The Bar
Summer Dreamer
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Summer Dreamer »

Bravo!
'Scaffolding pays good bread'