Pink Floyd the great divider for Stranglers fans

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Palais81
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Pink Floyd the great divider for Stranglers fans

Post by Palais81 »

I really like Pink Floyd but I do detect that some on this forum don't like them!

I even did a Kudu and went to France to see them play back in the day. I must say it was in my top 10 gigs of all time, genuinely emotional. We nearly didn't make it back because the Macclesfield band the Screaming Beavers were constantly dope smoking on the coach and the coach was then pulled over in Calais for a search. Who knows where the reefers went but we got through.

My other Pink Floyd reference is slightly obscure. Me and my girlfriend went to see 3 Men and Black sometime in the 90s. It was a small club in Macclesfield and the band were great especially Pauline Black. However, JJ was playing a really nice acoustic guitar finger picking piece. An old punk started he liking him accusing him of sounding like Pink Floyd. I could see JJ's face going red and I said to my girlfriend stand back I think there's going to be trouble. Thankfully JJ stormed off back stage. Pauline went back after him and within 5 minutes she brought him back out to play the rest of the set and without karate kicks. Great night......
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Pink Floyd the great divider for Stranglers fans

Post by StanInBlack »

I like some Pink Floyd albums and not others.

I like:
The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (seminal psychedelia classic)
A Saucerful of Secrets (underrated)
Meddle
Obscured by Clouds (underrated)
The Dark Side of the Moon
Wish You Were Here
Animals (my favourite of all the Floyd albums)

I'm on the fence about:
The Wall (made perfect sense when I was a teenager, don't rate it so highly now)

I don't like:
More (apart from "The Nile Song", which rawks)
Ummagumma (the studio half is legitimately one of the worst albums I've ever heard)
Atom Heart Mother (I find this album, particularly the suite and "Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast" to be a huge, unengaging slog)
The Final Cut (more of a Roger Waters solo album than a Floyd album)
A Momentary Lapse of Reason (more of a David Gilmour solo album than a Floyd album)
The Division Bell (a tedious re-tread of the Wall-era Floyd sound, but without the bite)
The Endless River (even more tedious off-cuts from The Division Bell)
Palais81
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Palais81 »

StanInBlack wrote: 03 Dec 2021, 19:06 I like some Pink Floyd albums and not others.

I like:
The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (seminal psychedelia classic)
A Saucerful of Secrets (underrated)
Meddle
Obscured by Clouds (underrated)
The Dark Side of the Moon
Wish You Were Here
Animals (my favourite of all the Floyd albums)

I'm on the fence about:
The Wall (made perfect sense when I was a teenager, don't rate it so highly now)

I don't like:
More (apart from "The Nile Song", which rawks)
Ummagumma (the studio half is legitimately one of the worst albums I've ever heard)
Atom Heart Mother (I find this album, particularly the suite and "Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast" to be a huge, unengaging slog)
The Final Cut (more of a Roger Waters solo album than a Floyd album)
A Momentary Lapse of Reason (more of a David Gilmour solo album than a Floyd album)
The Division Bell (a tedious re-tread of the Wall-era Floyd sound, but without the bite)
The Endless River (even more tedious off-cuts from The Division Bell)
My goodness, you seem to have read my thoughts on Pink Floyd albums! Spooky. Good to know that I am not alone ! The only thing we differ on is that Dark Side is my favourite.
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

I like some of Floyd, pre Darkside of the moon, most of it, especially Barrett.
Darkside of the moon is kind of overrated, Wish You Were Here is better, Animals better still, The Wall just adds to my manic depression but still kinda like to play it on occasion. Shock horror, as discussed on a thread about the stranglers, I like The Final Cut, and some of Roger Waters solo material is excellent imho, but I am not interested in albums the Floyd have done without Waters, pompous rock 100 percent, I find very uninteresting.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Eh, I don't think The Dark Side of the Moon is overrated at all. I think in the big scheme of things it's rated exactly how it should be. It's an all-time classic and deservedly generally considered once of the best albums ever made. Overplayed, on the other hand? Probably. I normally find it's a lot of people's first Floyd album and therefore tends to be the "gateway album" in terms of getting into Floyd for a lot of people. However, it's an easy record to get tired of through overplay and once you've crossed that bridge into other Floyd stuff (whether it be their earlier work or their mid to late '70s work) it can be difficult to find a reason to return to it.
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

Loved Pink Floyd since I watched Live in Pompeii in 1984. My least favourite era is when it became too much Roger Waters even though I have a lot of respect for him. The Gilmour/Wright vocals were always my favourite. Oh and tripping to 'Piper' or 'Echoes' is something else.
Let's Boogie
Five Minutes
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Five Minutes »

Time and Comfortably Numb are as good as it gets in rock music. For me.

Very few have come close to those. Maybe the Who with Won't Get Fooled Again or the Stones with Gimme Shelter.
Just incredible stuff. I like most of their albums up to and including the Wall.
Last time I came here a friend of mine just got triple-jacked over a steeplehammer and jessop jessop jessop jessop jessop
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

Am a big fan of early PF (the Barrett era) - the compilation lp Relics was one of the first records I ever had. And still one of my faves. Psychedelic tunes like Arnold Layne, Remember a Day, Careful with that Axe Eugene and of course See Emily Play.... Love it!

My brother had all their big seventies lp's which I know by heart but it never did much for me. I do love One of these Days (with it's Dr Who wink) though. That bass sound is pretty cool.

The Wall is self indulgent, even megalomaniac, crap. Later work (without Roger Waters) I heard most of it and whilst Gilmour has a fine tone and playing style, the music did not do anything for me.

Fave lp's Relics, Piper, Saucerful and Umagumma. Those are the only ones I have haha.
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

evonx wrote: 18 Aug 2022, 09:07 The Wall is self indulgent, even megalomaniac, crap. Later work (without Roger Waters) I heard most of it and whilst Gilmour has a fine tone and playing style, the music did not do anything for me.
The Gilmour-led Floyd always felt a little too overpolished and "tasteful" to me and lacking in the sort of edge that the best Pink Floyd stuff has. Agreed on The Wall though, which to me could pretty much be called Roger Waters Presents Pink Floyd in the Roger Waters Experience.
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

We might even say (and I realize I'm on thin ice here) that Waters is to PF what Hugh is to the Stranglers. And Syd is their Hans?
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Their importance in the history of music can't be denied, produced some fantastic music,I'm sure most of the original Stranglers were fans of some of their music.Lt Kudu.
shane
Down In The Sewer

Post by shane »

I'm sure Hugh is a fan. He has mentioned them a few times over the years. I really like their music . I think Stan in black is spot on in his choice of which are the good albums. I saw the Waters and Gilmour led line ups during the 80's. Recently saw Nick Mason's saucerful of secrets. They were very good.
sdg