Cruising with the Stranglers

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Cruising with the Stranglers

Post by StanInBlack »

If I had to choose between something like Hugh's playing on "Philip K. Ridiculous" (I mean, you just listen to the guitar playing on that and you automatically know it's him - he has a very identifiable way of playing) or the stock bluesy cliches of "Another Camden Afternoon" or the outro to "Bless You" or some of the stuff that I heard on Dark Matters... I mean, it's no contest really.
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

StanInBlack wrote: 04 Dec 2021, 23:07 If I had to choose between something like Hugh's playing on "Philip K. Ridiculous" (I mean, you just listen to the guitar playing on that and you automatically know it's him - he has a very identifiable way of playing) or the stock bluesy cliches of "Another Camden Afternoon" or the outro to "Bless You" or some of the stuff that I heard on Dark Matters... I mean, it's no contest really.
Agree, no contest.
Dark Matters is a better album than any Hugh has produced since he left the Stranglers.
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Bear Cage wrote: 04 Dec 2021, 23:09 Dark Matters is a better album than any Hugh has produced since he left the Stranglers.
:smt005 :smt005

Ahahahahaha! Oh fucking hell, give me a moment!
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Bear Cage wrote:
StanInBlack wrote: 04 Dec 2021, 23:07 If I had to choose between something like Hugh's playing on "Philip K. Ridiculous" (I mean, you just listen to the guitar playing on that and you automatically know it's him - he has a very identifiable way of playing) or the stock bluesy cliches of "Another Camden Afternoon" or the outro to "Bless You" or some of the stuff that I heard on Dark Matters... I mean, it's no contest really.
Agree, no contest.
Dark Matters is a better album than any Hugh has produced since he left the Stranglers.
Is there someone who looks after you?

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

theraven1979 wrote: 04 Dec 2021, 23:33
Bear Cage wrote:
Agree, no contest.
Is there someone who looks after you?

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Of course not, not everyone needs the support and care you do.
alaninblack
Rats Rally

Post by alaninblack »

Never ends does it - same arguments, one upmanship and slurs again and again.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

The idea that Dark Matters comes remotely close to (for example) the likes of Guilty has severely tickled me, like :lol:
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

StanInBlack wrote: 05 Dec 2021, 00:06 The idea that Dark Matters comes remotely close to (for example) the likes of Guilty has severely tickled me, like :lol:
agree not remotely close, DM is well ahead. :lol:
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Bear Cage wrote: 05 Dec 2021, 00:09
StanInBlack wrote: 05 Dec 2021, 00:06 The idea that Dark Matters comes remotely close to (for example) the likes of Guilty has severely tickled me, like :lol:
When Baz Warne writes a song as good as "Duce Coochie Man" or "Cadiz" or "First Bus to Babylon" or "Leave Me Alone" or "Henry Moore" or "Bilko" or "Decadence" or... well, you get the picture... then we'll talk.
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

StanInBlack wrote: 05 Dec 2021, 00:14
Bear Cage wrote: 05 Dec 2021, 00:09
When Baz Warne writes a song as good as "Duce Coochie Man" or "Cadiz" or "First Bus to Babylon" or "Leave Me Alone" or "Henry Moore" or "Bilko" or "Decadence" or... well, you get the picture... then we'll talk.
As clear as a bell, Hugh can still occasionally write and record a great track, unfortunately overall, although his albums are good, they’re just not as good as The Stranglers (10 and WIR excepting)
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Bear Cage wrote: 05 Dec 2021, 00:21 As clear as a bell, Hugh can still occasionally write and record a great track, unfortunately overall, although his albums are good, they’re just not as good as The Stranglers (10 and WIR excepting)

You're now implying that Coup de Grace is superior to any album in Hugh's solo discography? Okay, matey. You're entitled to be wrong.
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

StanInBlack wrote: 05 Dec 2021, 00:26
Bear Cage wrote: 05 Dec 2021, 00:21 As clear as a bell, Hugh can still occasionally write and record a great track, unfortunately overall, although his albums are good, they’re just not as good as The Stranglers (10 and WIR excepting)

You're now implying that Coup de Grace is superior to any album in Hugh's solo discography? Okay, matey. You're entitled to be wrong.
Your interpretation, I meant ALL Hugh’s solo studio albums since he quit The Stranglers are better than 10 and WIR (although I forgot about footprints in that)