Dijon

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Dijon

Post by StanInBlack »

"Someone Like You" feels to me like it would have been an obvious choice for a single. If it wasn't for the drum machine sound and the production, it'd almost be proto-Britpop.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 06 Dec 2021, 22:19 "Someone Like You" feels to me like it would have been an obvious choice for a single. If it wasn't for the drum machine sound and the production, it'd almost be proto-Britpop.
Agreed...what a bloody amazing song but for some it's all about the production side which doesn't bother me in the slightest.
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

'Was It You?', 'Someone Like You'... always get them mixed up. Never listen to either of them these days. Both poor IMO but the former is slightly better. The latter just reinforces how dry the songwriting well was.
Let's Boogie
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

markorbit wrote: 07 Dec 2021, 00:16 'Was It You?', 'Someone Like You'... always get them mixed up. Never listen to either of them these days. Both poor IMO but the former is slightly better. The latter just reinforces how dry the songwriting well was.
I'm not sure I agree with that as I rate both highly. "Was It You?" is a highlight of Dreamtime for me - it's a great lyric and vocal delivery from JJ and I love the instrumental breaks. The brass really works on it too. "Someone Like You" I rate highly for its catchiness and its use of key shifts.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

StanInBlack wrote: 07 Dec 2021, 00:26
markorbit wrote: 07 Dec 2021, 00:16 'Was It You?', 'Someone Like You'... always get them mixed up. Never listen to either of them these days. Both poor IMO but the former is slightly better. The latter just reinforces how dry the songwriting well was.
I'm not sure I agree with that as I rate both highly. "Was It You?" is a highlight of Dreamtime for me - it's a great lyric and vocal delivery from JJ and I love the instrumental breaks. The brass really works on it too. "Someone Like You" I rate highly for its catchiness and its use of key shifts.
Was it you is one of my favourite songs and I loved the Segue to Sewer on the Dreamtime tour and beyond. Just love the song. Lt Kudu.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Greatkudu wrote: 07 Dec 2021, 19:45 Was it you is one of my favourite songs and I loved the Segue to Sewer on the Dreamtime tour and beyond. Just love the song. Lt Kudu.
I agree, the "Was it You?" into "Sewer" segue is my favourite segue of them all. It works so well.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 07 Dec 2021, 20:13
Greatkudu wrote: 07 Dec 2021, 19:45 Was it you is one of my favourite songs and I loved the Segue to Sewer on the Dreamtime tour and beyond. Just love the song. Lt Kudu.
I agree, the "Was it You?" into "Sewer" segue is my favourite segue of them all. It works so well.
I agree too Stan Was it You/sewer worked so well.... with the brass too.
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

Yeah count me in for a bit of Was It You/Sewer as well. Great stuff.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

parasiteinblack wrote: 08 Dec 2021, 00:02 Yeah count me in for a bit of Was It You/Sewer as well. Great stuff.
I used to like their segues, but that was in the past, its what it is now, you either accept it or not. Lt Kudu.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

I like the way Freedom merges with Toiler on the Tokyo CD with the sea effect.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I was always partial to a bit of Time To Die into Toiler (x-ref MKII)

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Josh
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Josh »

theraven1979 wrote: 08 Dec 2021, 11:22 I was always partial to a bit of Time To Die into Toiler (x-ref MKII)

Jim
Me too.
Never say goodbye,
For we'll all be with you someday,
Fond adieus but never say goodbye