Dijon

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Re: Dijon

Post by toilerinblack »

Yanders wrote: 02 Dec 2021, 17:39 Nice n sleazy with brass really worked.

The problem is that if they were going to employ a brass section on tour, it made sense to use them on nearly every song. It clearly didn't benefit every track.

I don't believe it was just Hugh, it's not as if the others were too shy to say they thought it was a bad idea.
Yes a lot of tracks worked with brass but it has to suit the song too you can't just stick it on any old song as a bigger filler to give it a fuller production to the song,for sure they stuck the brass on too much of their material that sometimes just killed a good song that didn't need it in the first place that was fine as it was written as a guitar orientated and keyboard song.
Hugh's Bear Cage with caz and the trumpet worked bloody well live i just didn't want the brass improvisation to that ongoing bass beat of BC to ever stop which was brilliantly done by Hugh.I really liked the stranglers using the brass and even better live but that's just my take on it,it worked so well on Was It You and sewer and i enjoyed watching and listening to the brass section playing it at the Ally gig most will disagree but hey nothing wrong with that live i still say and think even if i am in the minority.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 03 Dec 2021, 23:08, edited 10 times in total.
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

Another one here who liked the brass section, Souls live version originally on ATS 12” single is better than the studio version, enhanced by the brass. The brass section were quite entertaining, definitely not the worst thing the stranglers did imho, far from it in fact 8)
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Jake wrote: 03 Dec 2021, 23:01 Another one here who liked the brass section, Souls live version originally on ATS 12” single is better than the studio version, enhanced by the brass. The brass section were quite entertaining, definitely not the worst thing the stranglers did imho, far from it in fact 8)
Yep agree with Souls and i'm not saying it suited all of what they did because on some tracks it certainly didn't work where the brass just killed a good song, but there were many that it really did work well on and especially if you can say you were there and heard them do it live to appreciate just how good it sounded than only ever hearing it as a recording for judgement i think... but each to their own as usual on the debate of the band using a brass section.
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

toilerinblack wrote: 03 Dec 2021, 23:10
Yep agree with Souls and i'm not saying it suited all of what they did because on some tracks it certainly didn't work where the brass just killed a good song, but there were many that it really did work well on and especially if you can say you were there and heard them do it live to appreciate just how good it sounded than only ever hearing it as a recording for judgement i think... but each to their own as usual on the debate of the band using a brass section.
First gig I attended in my life; The Stranglers with the vastly underrated X-Mal Deutschland for support at Wembley Arena, 1986, so yeah I have fond memories of the brass. I was aware they weren’t favoured by all from the letters page of Strangled magazine, but hey you never could please em all…
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Imo the brass was most welcome on AS. As mentioned it added a sonic layer that counter pointed the melodies on that album.

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

theraven1979 wrote: 03 Dec 2021, 23:48 Imo the brass was most welcome on AS. As mentioned it added a sonic layer that counter pointed the melodies on that album.

Jim
Yup. The brass works on Dreamtime as well - tracks like "Was It You?" and "Shakin' Like a Leaf" just don't work as well without it IMO.
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

alaninblack wrote: 03 Dec 2021, 10:30
Jon the Impaler wrote: 03 Dec 2021, 10:19 Had a sneaky feelin I had forgotten one ........accoustIc 😡
Tough one, but i still remember trundling along to HMV in Oxford Street, London and picking up Feline where they signed the cover in each four corners.

It was a bit like "where's the fucking bass" on first play, but it grew on me and the concerts on the Feline tour were great. I seem to remember reading Strangled at the time and the comments were something along the line of "theres as Stranglers album for all your moods" Feline being your quiet reflective mood, or something like that.
I know I have said it before , but the odd thing is though I detest accoustic stuff, I do like Feline . Probably has the right mix of sounds to make it decent and the material they were working with was good too .
All quiet ..........
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

StanInBlack wrote: 03 Dec 2021, 18:55
Bogenbroom wrote: 03 Dec 2021, 18:48 Ooh, and Summer in the City! Don’t know how missed I that gem.

Anyway, they’ve done it loads of times.
Not to this degree, they haven't.

I mean, look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrVmYpsQZEc

Sure, it's absolute cack, but apart from a faint in the mix drum loop and a sequencer pattern, that's practically all live!
Yes but this is the most shocking thing the Stranglers ever did IMHO, I don't know what the band were thinking of covering this song. I don't care how much backing is used in White Stallion live as I love the song. Lt Kudu.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Greatkudu wrote: 04 Dec 2021, 11:21 Yes but this is the most shocking thing the Stranglers ever did IMHO, I don't know what the band were thinking of covering this song. I don't care how much backing is used in White Stallion live as I love the song. Lt Kudu.
Oh, there's no doubt in my mind it's absolute shit but the point is that it's mostly live.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Greatkudu wrote:
Bogenbroom wrote: 03 Dec 2021, 18:48 Ooh, and Summer in the City! Don’t know how missed I that gem.

Anyway, they’ve done it loads of times.

I mean, look at this:

Sure, it's absolute cack, but apart from a faint in the mix drum loop and a sequencer pattern, that's practically all live!
Yes but this is the most shocking thing the Stranglers ever did IMHO, I don't know what the band were thinking of covering this song. I don't care how much backing is used in White Stallion live as I love the song. Lt Kudu.
Where would you draw the line Kudu? Entire song mimed and you'd be happy cos you "love the song" ?

Jim

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

I mean, look at this:

Warning.Viewer discretion is advised.

(JJ at 1.12 is like wtf )
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

theraven1979 wrote: 04 Dec 2021, 11:26
Greatkudu wrote:

I mean, look at this:

Where would you draw the line Kudu? Entire song mimed and you'd be happy cos you "love the song" ?

Jim

I would draw the line if all the vocals were recorded, or the drums etc, but as I keep saying, there was so much Louie added that they had to use the backing in order to perform live.The verse and chorus is still live. Lt Kudu.