Toby, or not Toby, that is the question.

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Toby, or not Toby, that is the question.

Post by StanInBlack »

adeinblack wrote: 01 Dec 2021, 15:18 TOBY MIGHT extend the Stranglers another 10 years.
Another 10 years of circling the drain and topping up the pension pot? Christ. It's like nothing is sacred anymore.
STEVEh
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by STEVEh »

StanInBlack wrote: 01 Dec 2021, 16:47
adeinblack wrote: 01 Dec 2021, 15:18 TOBY MIGHT extend the Stranglers another 10 years.
Another 10 years of circling the drain and topping up the pension pot? Christ. It's like nothing is sacred anymore.
As Hugh does with his use of the Stranglers name in all his publicity. I don't see, for example, Paul Weller, The Gallagher's, Johnny Marr, Billy Idol or Glen Matlock making reference to their former bands in their tour posters. Come to that JJ didn't either on his Songs and Stories tour.

For what it is worth though, I hope the band don't continue for another ten years. Toby appears to be doing a great job, but I agree with many that it doesn't look like the Stranglers now. Do another couple of years seeing out the Dark Matters promotion and pre-contracted gigs and finish on a high.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

STEVEh wrote:
As Hugh does with his use of the Stranglers name in all his publicity. I don't see, for example, Paul Weller, The Gallagher's, Johnny Marr, Billy Idol or Glen Matlock making reference to their former bands in their tour posters. Come to that JJ didn't either on his Songs and Stories tour.

For what it is worth though, I hope the band don't continue for another ten years. Toby appears to be doing a great job, but I agree with many that it doesn't look like the Stranglers now. Do another couple of years seeing out the Dark Matters promotion and pre-contracted gigs and finish on a high.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
sendwarrior
Rats Rally

Post by sendwarrior »

From what I've seen, Toby is doing well :grin: Yes he's made a few mistakes (they all do, that's live music for ya!) and yes he's puting his own spin on the tunes, but that's his right to do so, he's a musician not a robot!

I bet he was nervous as hell (I know he was nervous!) and it took a lot of courage for all of them to step out onto that stage on Monday and play the first notes without Dave.. 😢 But they did it, and they honoured Dave's memory and musical legacy by performing 🖤🎶👏

I wish them a successful tour in France and looking forward to seeing them play next year too 😊
🖤 UNBROKEN 🖤
Homer
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Homer »

jonimac wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 20:57

Can I also point out the "Toby Two-Step", while he plays?

Yeah of what I've seen he plays well ... but ... please please NO dad dancing whilst playing :lol: :lol:
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

STEVEh wrote: 01 Dec 2021, 20:42

Kind of with both Stan and Steve on this.

It’s a stab in the dark how long any of us have got left on the planet let alone a guy approaching 70 and another approaching 60.

Personally I don’t have a lot of enthusiasm for a follow up to Dark Matters, it’s a struggle for me to say DM was anything more than a good album, it’s not a classic imho. Others I’ve played it to or discussed it with who aren’t fans but enjoy classic stranglers weren’t overly impressed so I don’t see the stranglers reaching new potential, but that’s just personal opinion…
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

I'd be happy with a few more years and one more album with Toby. 8)
dead ringer
Ugly
Ugly

Post by dead ringer »

sendwarrior wrote: 01 Dec 2021, 20:51 From what I've seen, Toby is doing well :grin: Yes he's made a few mistakes (they all do, that's live music for ya!) he's a musician not a robot!
He was just keeping Daves legacy authentic! :wink: