Toby, or not Toby, that is the question.

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

jonimac
The Man They Love To Hate

Toby, or not Toby, that is the question.

Post by jonimac »

Just watched, with morbid fascination, the Heroes video.

Toby, I salute you!

90 mins of trying to fill Dave's shoes, with the pickiest bastards on the planet watching you, and then the spotlight falls on you for that solo, while JJ and Baz just stare.
I think in my job they call it Mental Resilience.

Loved the cheer and hand claps at the end of the solo from the audience. Like me, I hope they were willing him through it.

Fantastic job. Regardless of any mood hoovers on the forum, I have seen all the available footage from the gig, watched his every move (also being a picky bastard), and been nothing but impressed by what I saw.

Can I also point out the "Toby Two-Step", while he plays?

If I had to suggest why others might not have been so impressed, I wonder if had more to do with the simple light show rather than the usual fancy screens, and how far back from the front of stage the band had positioned themselves (covid peut etre? )
From Glasgow, the centre of Stranglermania (copyright Strangled 1982)
alaninblack
Rats Rally

Re: Toby, or not Toby, that is the question.

Post by alaninblack »

Like the play on words, Toby subject : )

I would like to see more, so if anyone has direct links to the tracks, please post, I can only find Device and Heroes on Youtube. I thought he actually handled Heroes quite well, must be hard to be put directly under the spotlight at the very end of a gig like that. It did sound like there was a tiny boogie woogie flourish put in there also, but I could be wrong on that, just my first impression.
HOFT

Post by HOFT »

May the flies of 1000 camels nest in your armpits !

If you want SYMPATHY ?..........
You will find it in the dictionary between ` SHIT & SYPHILIS ' !
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

A lot of people have read far too much into the whole stage presentation where Toby takes the solo on "Heroes" and the spotlight gets thrust on him, as if this is anything symbolic. I disagree - if you notice, when Baz is taking the guitar solo prior the spotlight is solely on him too. As far as actually playing the solo goes, I don't think he got it 100% spot on - he can actually manage the fast arpeggios really well, it's more that he's not really playing the exact notes that Dave plays. Nevertheless, I think Toby is in an uneviable position at the moment with him essentially being a hired hand in a band that is clearly, and very publically in its death throes. He seems a decent guy, and to his credit from what I've seen of this current line-up so far he's actually far from the worst thing about them.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I have to agree with this. Toby is carrying the band in some respect. Let's not be too hasty this was their first gig in a long time and I can't imagine the sorrow JJ and co must be going through.

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

yeah Baz kissing toby's head at the end with all of them on the stage together, he was welcomed into the band well i think,again hard to watch for me with no Dave but Toby does seem a lovely fella but well done to all of them credit where it's due.
jonimac

Post by jonimac »

StanInBlack wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 22:21 A lot of people have read far too much…….

a band that is clearly, and very publically in its death throes.

from what I've seen of this current line-up so far he's actually far from the worst thing about them.
“A lot of people” - where’s your data or just speculating ?

“A band that is clearly” - NO. It’s just your subjective opinion, nothing more. I get your view (see mood hoover above).

As for “death throes”, well, an interesting choice of words considering the circumstances .

“From what I’ve seen” - a personal opinion. See, you can do it when you try.
From Glasgow, the centre of Stranglermania (copyright Strangled 1982)
strangledinAuch

Post by strangledinAuch »

well done that man

and thankyou!
See You At The Bar
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Rise Sir Toby of Charlton Farm. Lt Kudu. :smt005
adeinblack
Rats Rally

Post by adeinblack »

TOBY MIGHT extend the Stranglers another 10 years.

Dave (RIP) was coming to the end of his Stranglers day's anyway. He could no longer tour and we don't know exactly how much of a problem the 'heart problem' was or even if surgery was ever done. The full and final tour was going to be it apart from odd gigs. Naturally I am sure we would all wish Dave was still alive and was younger and fitter but it is just a race against father time.

From the videos both JJ and Baz look as fit as butcher's dogs.

I am pleased we still have The Stranglers and they found Toby. Old songs or new it is still great to hear those tunes.
Mart
Rats Rally

Post by Mart »

adeinblack wrote: 01 Dec 2021, 15:18 TOBY MIGHT extend the Stranglers another 10 years.

Dave (RIP) was coming to the end of his Stranglers day's anyway. He could no longer tour and we don't know exactly how much of a problem the 'heart problem' was or even if surgery was ever done. The full and final tour was going to be it apart from odd gigs. Naturally I am sure we would all wish Dave was still alive and was younger and fitter but it is just a race against father time.

I am pleased we still have The Stranglers and they found Toby. Old songs or new it is still great to hear those tunes.
Absolutely right
When i rest my weary head after all my words are said
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

adeinblack wrote: 01 Dec 2021, 15:18 TOBY MIGHT extend the Stranglers another 10 years.

Here Here Sir, yes Dave wasn't a well man by all accounts, but that's obviously personal of course, but Dave would be proud of Toby, I'm sure he's looking down, from what i have seen of the clips, they are still great, of course Dave was irreplaceable in every way, but Toby is doing a great job,so enjoy when we can. Lt Kudu.