JJ Burnel Planet Rock Radio This Sunday from 7pm

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

alaninblack
Rats Rally

Re: JJ Burnel Planet Rock Radio This Sunday from 7pm

Post by alaninblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 23:18 Chuckling at the idea of Dark Matters being better than everything put out under The Stranglers name since 1981 when it can't even clear the bar set by Norfolk Coast and Suite XVI, let alone the one set by Feline, Aural Sculpture and Dreamtime.
Ill quite happily say that for me DM is better to listen to than AS, DT, 10 and all the stuff that was released up till NC, and better than any Hugh album, especially that pile of poo called "Wolf", that album really makes me chuckle, Hugh trying to be some kind of Paul Young... priceless.
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

jonimac wrote:I do find it fascinating how people are clear about what the band should do, when the only opinions that counts are those still on the stage. For my own subjective view (some of you should try to acknowledge your own), I've given up on them at least 3 times. My latest born-again moment was Guildford on the last tour, when I was amazed at the response of a clearly younger audience.
It genuinely touched me, and the band seemed to feel the same, mentioning it a couple of times.

I personally (again, note the subjective opinion) cannot wait to see how Toby covers Dave's keys, and the privilege of finally taking my son to see the band is something to look forward to ( last gig: Iron Maiden - Spitfires, Flame Throwers, etc ).

It is my understanding that most musicians make their money from live performances, so unless Jim, Toby, and Baz have sat on tesla shares for the last 10 years, if they can replicate the time signatures from Curfew/Genetix, etc, and the fact that JJ looks more like JJ than the bloke in Straighten Out(never seen them but look forward to it), then they are assured of my cash.
I kind of share your enthusiasm to see what happens next, have to admit I'm curious to see how it will now look & sound now with Toby, even though when Dave passed I had completely dismissed any more possible Stranglers gigs for me.

Also taking your son will be something you'll always remember - I did the same with both my sons (the first one was aged 14 at Rattus at the Roundhouse), subsequently they've both been to a few gigs with me here and there, didn't become regulars, but those events are up there with my best father / son memories.

I do think fans' opinions count though, so not sure I agree with your "still on the stage..." comment, although obviously the decision itself is theirs..
I Hate You !
Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Yanders »

It's obvious that with DM they intended to appeal to a narrow audience. By and large its existing fan who prefer the first punk feel of the three or four albums.

It isn't a bad thing - this album will fit with those tracks live. And why try anything new at this point in their career, when as pointed out, it's playing live where they make their money - not album sales or radio plays. They know what their live audience want.

They could try different things in the 80 and 90 because they band were funded differently and had different (and more experimenal) people in the group. Also (in the 80s) they had more opportunities to reach a new audience, so didn't worry too much about losing fans.

As said, whether an individual likes AS more or less than DM is a personal choice, not worth getting angry about. But it does seem to reflect a teamJJ and teamHugh thing. I don't see the same passion when comparing feline to la folie or about time to WIR.

Post by 8088 »

Yanders wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 10:06 It's obvious that with DM they intended to appeal to a narrow audience. By and large its existing fan who prefer the first punk feel of the three or four albums.
But on DM there were departures - If Something, Lines, Down, Dave and Breathe were deviations from recent albums and DM was all the better for it.
jonimac

Post by jonimac »

Agreed. While you can see references to previous material, there was some new areas explored. Definitely the highlights for me, particulate first few tracks and the last 2.
If Toby can reproduced anything approaching White Stallion live, that would be something to look forward to.

Although I guess he is probably still trying to get his head round all the arpeggio runs he needs to nail!
I have a mate who is keyboard player with a first division band and he said it would be far too complicated for him.
From Glasgow, the centre of Stranglermania (copyright Strangled 1982)
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

alaninblack wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 02:27
StanInBlack wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 23:18 Chuckling at the idea of Dark Matters being better than everything put out under The Stranglers name since 1981 when it can't even clear the bar set by Norfolk Coast and Suite XVI, let alone the one set by Feline, Aural Sculpture and Dreamtime.
Ill quite happily say that for me DM is better to listen to than AS, DT, 10 and all the stuff that was released up till NC, and better than any Hugh album, especially that pile of poo called "Wolf", that album really makes me chuckle, Hugh trying to be some kind of Paul Young... priceless.
Yep, spot on alaninblack
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
alaninblack
Rats Rally

Post by alaninblack »

8088 wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 12:34 But on DM there were departures - If Something, Lines, Down, Dave and Breathe were deviations from recent albums and DM was all the better for it.
Totally agree. Its a total mish mash of themes and styles, it should not work, but it does for me. Still cant warm to Pay Day though. To heavy on lyrics, needed to be far simpler imho.
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

8088 wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 12:34
Yanders wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 10:06 It's obvious that with DM they intended to appeal to a narrow audience. By and large its existing fan who prefer the first punk feel of the three or four albums.
But on DM there were departures - If Something, Lines, Down, Dave and Breathe were deviations from recent albums and DM was all the better for it.
You have listed the songs on DM I skip , when I listen .Must admit I don't listen to much these days anyway but I definitely skip the slow/accoustic types while Dave and If Something not fussed about . I wouldn't really say any of the ones I do listen to though are particularly punky , certainly nowhere near the energy and rawness of the first 4 albums .........the album overall is just different to the band's other output ,in the same way Gospel , WIR were imo , just stands out as different which isn't a bad thing .I even sort of like WIR these days , still sounds fresh to me where Coup has dated badly .
All quiet ..........
Yanders

Post by Yanders »

I never said that DM is punk, I said that it appeals to those who prefer by far the 'punk' albums.

Maybe I've misunderstood the comments about DM on here, but I've not seen many claims that this album is unique or breaking new ground - more lots of comments about what it reminds them of, mainly 70s early 80s. If that doesn't fit the tastes of those preferring the big four albums and the current live set, I don't know what does.

Also, was I wrong to read statements saying it's the best album in 40 years as from people preferring those early albums to the ones where they moved further away from their original sound?
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

alaninblack wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 02:27 Ill quite happily say that for me DM is better to listen to than AS, DT, 10 and all the stuff that was released up till NC, and better than any Hugh album, especially that pile of poo called "Wolf", that album really makes me chuckle, Hugh trying to be some kind of Paul Young... priceless.
Yes, based on comments you've made on various Stranglers recordings in the past it's unsurprising that you perhaps have a fixed idea of what you believe The Stranglers should sound like (by which I mean the classic line-up - and - by extension - the solo records of the members of the classic line-up) and therefore are unable to accept anything that falls outside of those admittedly narrow parameters.
This has mostly been the bands modus operandi since Baz joined the band, which coincides with the moment the band stopped trying to do anything outside of their comfort zone and instead succumbed to artistic stagnancy. There's been some half-decent things within the parameters of that - Norfolk Coast and Suite XVI most notably, but also you've got the completely redundant Giants and this new one which offers absolutely nothing new at all and offers nothing in terms of essential material. Why would I spent time listening to the last couple of albums when I've heard it all done better before, and by a line-up that 99.9% of people consider to be the "true" Stranglers?
alaninblack
Rats Rally

Post by alaninblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 27 Nov 2021, 12:02 Yes, based on comments you've made on various Stranglers recordings in the past it's unsurprising that you perhaps have a fixed idea of what you believe The Stranglers should sound like (by which I mean the classic line-up - and - by extension - the solo records of the members of the classic line-up) and therefore are unable to accept anything that falls outside of those admittedly narrow parameters.
Totally correct
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

StanInBlack wrote: 27 Nov 2021, 12:02 Yes, based on comments you've made on various Stranglers recordings in the past it's unsurprising that you perhaps have a fixed idea of what you believe The Stranglers should sound like (by which I mean the classic line-up - and - by extension - the solo records of the members of the classic line-up) and therefore are unable to accept anything that falls outside of those admittedly narrow parameters.

As opposed to thinking they should sound like Hugh
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.