JJ Burnel Planet Rock Radio This Sunday from 7pm

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Re: JJ Burnel Planet Rock Radio This Sunday from 7pm

Post by aldinblack »

Jon the Impaler wrote:
STEVEh wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 00:54 JJ is 70 next year and appears to have got very comfortable in the South of France. Personally, I think he will dothe contracted dates and then review everything and may call it a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Retire and do the book ? I think maybe the band have gone as far as they can now , finish on a high otherwise the risk of another Giants or another 7 or 8 years . The ideas musically seem thin now , while they may have the odd subject inspiration ( Water , Stallion ) . Do they call it a day next year , or is the baton passed on to Baz to pick his own band for a while . I don't think there would be much call for a band with no original members playing under the name but I may be wrong ........you would just be hearing "it's not the same ..........." throughout gigs.
The end is probably nigh .
The end has been nigh for years, but they've just kept dragging it out...
I'm not complaining mind, cause I've had a good time with it..

But now? Now with no Dave really? Come on...

So the album is now done, leaving just the unfinished business of the "tribute tour".

I'm really struggling to see beyond that..
I Hate You !
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

aldinblack wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 17:31

I think the evidence of the live performances and in particular the albums released since Baz joined demonstrate a band far from “dragging it out”.
Although at their twilight, and after a period of decline post Hugh (in terms of success and live audience), The Stranglers are still a strong going (and since Baz joined, growing) concern, writing and recording some of their best material in 40 years, and pulling in increasing audiences live.
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Chuckling at the idea of Dark Matters being better than everything put out under The Stranglers name since 1981 when it can't even clear the bar set by Norfolk Coast and Suite XVI, let alone the one set by Feline, Aural Sculpture and Dreamtime.
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

StanInBlack wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 23:18 Chuckling at the idea of Dark Matters being better than everything put out under The Stranglers name since 1981 when it can't even clear the bar set by Norfolk Coast and Suite XVI, let alone the one set by Feline, Aural Sculpture and Dreamtime.
Chuckling at you ability to misunderstand and twist every post that supports the post Hugh Stranglers.
I did not say (or imply) Dark Matters is better than everything put out under the Stranglers name since 1981. However, I do think that The Stranglers have not released four consecutive albums of the quality of their last four since the early 80s (rate all four above everything between Dreamtime and CDG and some as better than albums before this). Also SOME of the tracks across those albums are better than much (but not all) of what they’ve released since 81, hence my statement “SOME of their best material in 40 Years”.
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

Finally listened to this, am baffled by this notion that Hugh is blocking the stranglers movie from being released, if true, and some have speculated here that it’s not, maybe Hugh was rightfully disgruntled because he wasn’t approached in participating in a film about the stranglers? If that was the case, then it’s understandable, you would get a pretty shoddy one sided story of the stranglers history with no involvement of Hugh imho. I remember when this was being offered as preordered Blu-ray/DVD, wasn’t overly tempted and glad I didn’t bother as it sounds like those who did contribute to the project have been left well and truly out of pocket .
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I also listened to this today. JJ is calm and collected. Just wish he'd stop banging on about the film. Hugh is not the root cause, he knows this.

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

Bear Cage wrote:

I think the evidence of the live performances and in particular the albums released since Baz joined demonstrate a band far from “dragging it out”.
Although at their twilight, and after a period of decline post Hugh (in terms of success and live audience), The Stranglers are still a strong going (and since Baz joined, growing) concern, writing and recording some of their best material in 40 years, and pulling in increasing audiences live.
Ok fair enough I agree with you on live performances. I've attended every tour in UK, + a number of Euro trips, since SuiteXV1 and like I said I've had a great time with it all, and yes watched the audiences grow.

But Giants was the last album release 10 years ago and DM is almost certainly their final one.

But what happens next then? More growth?
Let's see..
I Hate You !
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

aldinblack wrote: 25 Nov 2021, 00:27
Bear Cage wrote:

Ok fair enough I agree with you on live performances. I've attended every tour in UK, + a number of Euro trips, since SuiteXV1 and like I said I've had a great time with it all, and yes watched the audiences grow.

But Giants was the last album release 10 years ago and DM is almost certainly their final one.

But what happens next then? More growth?
Let's see..
I think it will depend on how they feel playing live without Dave. JJ and Baz thrive on live performance, if they feel it still works as The Stranglers we might get more tours going forwards. Similarly the success of DM might encourage them to try and produce a follow up. But I don’t think they know yet.
I can’t see them continuing to grow, but there again if you asked me 20 years ago if the Stranglers would succeed in growing their audience again and producing a top 5 album I would’ve thought not, so what do I know.
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

Jake wrote: 25 Nov 2021, 00:03 maybe Hugh was rightfully disgruntled because he wasn’t approached in participating in a film about the stranglers?
As I understand it, Hugh John and Paul were all asked if they wanted to be involved, and all said "no".
Jake wrote: 25 Nov 2021, 00:03 I remember when this was being offered as preordered Blu-ray/DVD, wasn’t overly tempted and glad I didn’t bother as it sounds like those who did contribute to the project have been left well and truly out of pocket .
Only some who ordered the DVD via Pledge were left out of pocket. I used a credit card, and claimed the money back on the basis of "goods not delivered". There was talk on here and FB that because it was below a certain value (£100 was talked about) that a claim wasn't possible, but mine was only the bare minimum package at around £45, and I had no problem with the claim. I think those who used debit cards were left hanging, and maybe one or two other options. I never imagined that Pledge Music would go under as they weren't a new organisation, but with hindsight I'm glad I paid for it using a means that came with some protection.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Nothing new but still great to hear JJ.
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

droopsnoot wrote: 25 Nov 2021, 10:05
Jake wrote: 25 Nov 2021, 00:03 maybe Hugh was rightfully disgruntled because he wasn’t approached in participating in a film about the stranglers?
As I understand it, Hugh John and Paul were all asked if they wanted to be involved, and all said "no".
Jake wrote: 25 Nov 2021, 00:03 I remember when this was being offered as preordered Blu-ray/DVD, wasn’t overly tempted and glad I didn’t bother as it sounds like those who did contribute to the project have been left well and truly out of pocket .
Only some who ordered the DVD via Pledge were left out of pocket. I used a credit card, and claimed the money back on the basis of "goods not delivered". There was talk on here and FB that because it was below a certain value (£100 was talked about) that a claim wasn't possible, but mine was only the bare minimum package at around £45, and I had no problem with the claim. I think those who used debit cards were left hanging, and maybe one or two other options. I never imagined that Pledge Music would go under as they weren't a new organisation, but with hindsight I'm glad I paid for it using a means that came with some protection.
Cheers for clarifying Droop

I was always a bit sceptical about Pledge, it’s a shame things went the way they did with that company. It’s a nice idea, and in this day and age bands/artists are left with increasingly limited options on the one hand when it comes to getting product out there.

It’s a shame that the other guys who may have been asked opted for “no”, maybe they disagreed with the film’s angle. Either way it could not be an objective movie without them imho. If this film ever sees the light of day. without additions it will be dated by now. Hopefully a decent stranglers film will get made that has input from all parties.
jonimac
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by jonimac »

I do find it fascinating how people are clear about what the band should do, when the only opinions that counts are those still on the stage. For my own subjective view (some of you should try to acknowledge your own), I've given up on them at least 3 times. My latest born-again moment was Guildford on the last tour, when I was amazed at the response of a clearly younger audience.
It genuinely touched me, and the band seemed to feel the same, mentioning it a couple of times.

I personally (again, note the subjective opinion) cannot wait to see how Toby covers Dave's keys, and the privilege of finally taking my son to see the band is something to look forward to ( last gig: Iron Maiden - Spitfires, Flame Throwers, etc ).

It is my understanding that most musicians make their money from live performances, so unless Jim, Toby, and Baz have sat on tesla shares for the last 10 years, if they can replicate the time signatures from Curfew/Genetix, etc, and the fact that JJ looks more like JJ than the bloke in Straighten Out(never seen them but look forward to it), then they are assured of my cash.
From Glasgow, the centre of Stranglermania (copyright Strangled 1982)