Your euro set list?

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Your euro set list?

Post by StanInBlack »

toilerinblack wrote: 21 Nov 2021, 21:10 Yes your right Stan i phrased it wrongly, it's an underated masterpiece that never got it's fully deserved recognition that it should of got but never did,but us fans know just how good it was and still is which is the main thing...A Masterpiece Set in Stone.
It's been getting a degree of belated recognition as an underrated masterpiece, which makes sense to me because The Gospel is the type of album where you really need to give it time before it makes sense.
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

Ruby wrote: 20 Nov 2021, 14:54 I'm not into hearing entire albums played in concert, myself.Any Stranglers album.
Nor me. It's interesting to hear tracks that haven't been played live a lot or at all, but there's usually a reason for it. I'm probably in the minority, and I know I'm repeating myself, but I didn't think "Enough time" came over that well when they did it live on the recent B&W tour, and I'd rather have heard "Rok it to the moon".
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

It was interesting to see them attempt "Enough Time" after all of those years of avoiding playing it, but ultimately I agree. I don't really think "cookie monster" vocals are all that great in their proper context, let alone Stranglers songs.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

This is constructive criticism of Baz, but when he tries do the Hugh snarl it sounds bit like Lemmy and not in a good way, but his vocals are better when he doesn't try to snarl or shout. And of course no one can do that shouting style like JJ, but Baz does the aggressive ones on Dark Matters.Lt Kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 21 Nov 2021, 21:24
toilerinblack wrote: 21 Nov 2021, 21:10 Yes your right Stan i phrased it wrongly, it's an underated masterpiece that never got it's fully deserved recognition that it should of got but never did,but us fans know just how good it was and still is which is the main thing...A Masterpiece Set in Stone.
It's been getting a degree of belated recognition as an underrated masterpiece, which makes sense to me because The Gospel is the type of album where you really need to give it time before it makes sense.
Yep you are spot on it did take me time as a fan when it first came out and yes there were the obvious tracks mainly some of the singles releases that i did like straight away but yes like you have said there were many from this album that were slow growers for me and i'm a massive MK1 fan let alone someone whose not and like you have said too it takes time before it makes sense your right Stan that exactly sums up this masterpiece,but i can see why it wasn't a hit until with time you really get to know the tracks and what this themed album is all about.I also think they were way in front of their time to release an album like this with the subject they were experimenting with....I'ts one highly well thought out album both lyrically and musically with a subject that not many would go there with.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 17:12 This is constructive criticism of Baz, but when he tries do the Hugh snarl it sounds bit like Lemmy and not in a good way, but his vocals are better when he doesn't try to snarl or shout. And of course no one can do that shouting style like JJ, but Baz does the aggressive ones on Dark Matters.Lt Kudu.
Yes when you look at the recent acoustic sessions Baz''s vocals was excellent he nicely sung it infact it's some of his best i have heard,this for me is a really good way forwards maybe for Baz & JJ with the all important factor being for me anyway is .....It Works! and very well too.I say more of the same please which is why i think on the tour if they sat on stools and started with those numbers for Dave just like they did in those sessions with louie it would be a really nice medly and fitting start being their very first time live without Dave then bang in to an electric night one after the other wow! Now that's what i call impact.....Calm before the storm.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 20:10
Greatkudu wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 17:12 This is constructive criticism of Baz, but when he tries do the Hugh snarl it sounds bit like Lemmy and not in a good way, but his vocals are better when he doesn't try to snarl or shout. And of course no one can do that shouting style like JJ, but Baz does the aggressive ones on Dark Matters.Lt Kudu.
Yes when you look at the recent acoustic sessions Baz''s vocals was excellent he nicely sung it infact it's some of his best i have heard,this for me is a really good way forwards maybe for Baz & JJ with the all important factor being for me anyway is .....It Works! and very well too.I say more of the same please which is why i think on the tour if they sat on stools and started with those numbers for Dave just like they did in those sessions with louie it would be a really nice medly and fitting start being their very first time live without Dave then bang in to an electric night one after the other wow! Now that's what i call impact.....Calm before the storm.
Sir great idea but I think it will be full on, I hope they have some graphics on stage production like the Rolling Stones have done for Charlie, but they show film of him before they start gig, the Stones are making 10 million a concert at the moment on US tour, but I think they are the greatest rock and roll band ever apart from The Ramones. Lt Kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 22:03
toilerinblack wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 20:10
Sir great idea but I think it will be full on, I hope they have some graphics on stage production like the Rolling Stones have done for Charlie, but they show film of him before they start gig, the Stones are making 10 million a concert at the moment on US tour, but I think they are the greatest rock and roll band ever apart from The Ramones. Lt Kudu.
Yes Dave graphics on stage during the gigs would be fitting and would be a very nice touch.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 24 Nov 2021, 21:07, edited 1 time in total.
billyinblack63
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by billyinblack63 »

Greatkudu wrote: 19 Nov 2021, 10:52 Off thread I think Tramp is one of the greatest Stranglers songs ever, sublime in every way. And possibly Hughs most heartfelt vocal performance and lyric.Lt Kudu.
tramp live from tv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKAO4KW_QKM
we are the middlesbrough crewinblack
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

billyinblack63 wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 21:00
Greatkudu wrote: 19 Nov 2021, 10:52 Off thread I think Tramp is one of the greatest Stranglers songs ever, sublime in every way. And possibly Hughs most heartfelt vocal performance and lyric.Lt Kudu.
tramp live from tv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKAO4KW_QKM
Before I clicked on this, I thought to myself "I wonder if this is the clip where Hugh forgets the words" ... and it was!
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

What a great great song that should of been a single but you can't change the past it is how it is.
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

I'm certain Hugh mumbled that line on the La Folie tour at Liverpool.Maybe the original lyric was changed during production and he gets caught in two minds.