Baz on the Radio now

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

The Man They Love To Hate

Re: Baz on the Radio now

Post by 8088 »

Greatkudu wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 10:33 next people will be saying that Mr Warnes swearing offends you
It's middle class swearing I can't abide - far too much on here :lol:
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

I don’t think anyone is offended, more irritated at crude innuendo which is distinctly unfunny, how dare people have opinions on stuff :?:
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Jake wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 10:58 I don’t think anyone is offended, more irritated at crude innuendo which is distinctly unfunny, how dare people have opinions on stuff :?:
Yup. It's not that people find Baz's lyrical change offensive, they just think it's stupid. If I were one of those casual punters the band keep referring to whenever the subject of them deciding the setlist comes up, I'd hear that and think "well, that's that song ruined" ...
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

evonx wrote: 21 Nov 2021, 22:21
I’ve attended gigs with a girlfriend, she loved Hugh solo, he also took a shine to her, but she absolutely hated Baz, was actually angry and sickened by him ruining Always the Sun for her and wanted to leave at that point
My gf only knew a handful of songs - the hits - when we met but I made her some mix cd-r's (remember those) that made her like the band much more.
First gig she saw was in 2003 and she absolutely loved(loves) Paul's voice and energy on stage. Fave CD remains Norfolk Coast. Enjoyed a couple of Baz era gigs with me but is not that impressed anymore yet enjoys the social element.
Sounds the same as mine ,went to first Stranglers around that time , likes the same stuff eg the soft songs , likes the 5 set up better than the 4 members .
All quiet ..........
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

StanInBlack wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 11:01

Yup. It's not that people find Baz's lyrical change offensive, they just think it's stupid. If I were one of those casual punters the band keep referring to whenever the subject of them deciding the setlist comes up, I'd hear that and think "well, that's that song ruined" ...

Well, yes I mentioned a casual punter and that was her exact take more or less, though that was more to do with the way it was sung than any ad+libbing going on. That’s pretty much a casual listener of the stranglers, who likes their classic sound but was firmly of the opinion that Baz ruins songs that Hugh originally sang.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

8088 wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 10:51
Greatkudu wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 10:33 next people will be saying that Mr Warnes swearing offends you
I used to work with the Army so every word was the F word and even the C word no one turned a blind eye, some months ago a woman told me off in a shop as I said I was pissed off, in my mind that's not offensive, but if your a snow person maybe it is? I'm offended by the fact there are so many homeless people in this country, when so many empty properties greedy bastards with second and third homes, places in Cornwall where local people have to move away from their families, thats offensive to me, Baz seems to have stopped knob bit last time I saw them, and Paul started it and it was even worse, so yes memo to Baz please don't do it again or the forum members will give you fifty lines of speed, no drug references intended. Lt Kudu. ☺

Post by 8088 »

Greatkudu wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 12:02
8088 wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 10:51
I used to work with the Army so every word was the F word and even the C word no one turned a blind eye
Swearing in the real world is one thing when it slips off the tongue but actually taking time to type out profanity is ludicrous.
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

I used to work with the Army so every word was the F word and even the C word no one turned a blind eye, some months ago a woman told me off in a shop as I said I was pissed off, in my mind that's not offensive, but if your a snow person maybe it is? I'm offended by the fact there are so many homeless people in this country, when so many empty properties greedy bastards with second and third homes, places in Cornwall where local people have to move away from their families, thats offensive to me, Baz seems to have stopped knob bit last time I saw them, and Paul started it and it was even worse, so yes memo to Baz please don't do it again or the forum members will give you fifty lines of speed, no drug references intended. Lt Kudu. ☺
I’d definitely agree with what you find offensive.

Presumably the being irritated by “middle class swearing” means they find JJ Burnel and Hugh Cornwell swearing too much then. Both arguably came from middle class backgrounds, maybe Hugh less so, I guess it depends on how one judges what someone else’s social class is. Even in this Baz interview, he refers to his parents as “middle class”. I used to own a stranglers badge from 1977, sadly long since lost which proclaimed “the stranglers are lower middle class”, so a dislike of middle class swearing is surely a dislike of the stranglers swearing?

Post by 8088 »

Jake wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 12:27

Presumably the being irritated by “middle class swearing” means they find JJ Burnel and Hugh Cornwell swearing too much then. Both arguably came from middle class backgrounds, maybe Hugh less so, I guess it depends on how one judges what someone else’s social class is. Even in this Baz interview, he refers to his parents as “middle class”. I used to own a stranglers badge from 1977, sadly long since lost which proclaimed “the stranglers are lower middle class”, so a dislike of middle class swearing is surely a dislike of the stranglers swearing?
To a degree, yes the Stranglers qualified for swearing as posturing - especially Hugh with his stage braggadocio.
I dislike middle class swearing as much as I disliked people suddenly acting uneducated in the 90s...it's not a biggy but I mention it seeing as we're being pedantic about ad-libbing on stage.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Jake wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 12:27

I have to say I love JJ using the F word in interviews, I suppose it makes me think, he's matured but still has the edge, but on the other scale you have the amazing Adele said with bitter and twisted irony, I watched 2 secs of her sycophantic audience with the great and the good from showbiz, and she was struggling not to say the F word, the only time I was offended was when I worked with the Army a WO1 made a racist joke that was offensive, it sickened me, it was as offensive as you would get, made Jim Davidson look like Mary Poppins, no one batted an eyelid, of course I should have stept in and dragged him out but i didn't as I was the new officer. But shame on me, I should have stepped in. Lt Kudu.
Last edited by Greatkudu on 22 Nov 2021, 13:34, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 8088 »

But to reflect on Kudu's real concerns - I'd be here all day if I listed those....

Post by 8088 »

Greatkudu wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 13:33 a WO1 made a racist joke that was offensive, it sickened me, it was as offensive as you would get, made Jim Davidson look like Mary Poppins, no one batted an eyelid, of course I should have stept in and dragged him out but i didn't as I was the new officer. But shame on me, I should have stepped in. Lt Kudu.
I've dealt with racism and bullies in the workplace with the only language they understand - direct confrontation - which makes it all the more 'amusing' that I've been called racist on here.