Baz on the Radio now

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Re: Baz on the Radio now

Post by Jake »

8088 wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 13:27

To a degree, yes the Stranglers qualified for swearing as posturing - especially Hugh with his stage braggadocio.
I dislike middle class swearing as much as I disliked people suddenly acting uneducated in the 90s...it's not a biggy but I mention it seeing as we're being pedantic about ad-libbing on stage.
I don’t know it sounds a bit stereotypical, “swearing like a docker”, my Nan, god rest her soul, who was very much working class could not even handle “bloody” or “dam” would cry her eyes out if she was ever subjected to the F word.

When the stranglers and first wave of punk came along there wasn’t a hell of a lot of swearing in rock music, so it sounded fresh perhaps. What I find tiresome is all the 2/3/4th etc wave of “punk” bands swearing, it’s a boring old cliche now. I’d certainly say that the point can be made without swearing most of the time. But then again people can be real snowflakes over the use of swear words, it’s nothing radical and seems to me just a part of at least 50% if people’s language irrespective of social class.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

8088 wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 13:27 ad-libbing on stage
It's not "ad libbing" if you're doing the same thing constantly.
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by 8088 »

StanInBlack wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 13:45
8088 wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 13:27 ad-libbing on stage
It's not "ad libbing" if you're doing the same thing constantly.
That's very true - probably be some fans outraged if he doesn't do it now.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

8088 wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 13:37
Greatkudu wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 13:33 a WO1 made a racist joke that was offensive, it sickened me, it was as offensive as you would get, made Jim Davidson look like Mary Poppins, no one batted an eyelid, of course I should have stept in and dragged him out but i didn't as I was the new officer. But shame on me, I should have stepped in. Lt Kudu.
I've dealt with racism and bullies in the workplace with the only language they understand - direct confrontation - which makes it all the more 'amusing' that I've been called racist on here.
Yes good call, what made it worse there were Majors and Lt Colonels who heard the joke, he just read it from his phone, and no one reacted, the Army to be fare is dealing with Racism, but the Police have a long way to go, its endemic I would say, the Police training needs an overhaul in all ways, Dixon of Dock Green they ain't. Lt Kudu.

Post by 8088 »

Jake wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 13:44 But then again people can be real snowflakes over the use of swear words, it’s nothing radical and seems to me just a part of at least 50% if people’s language irrespective of social class.
Swearing can be used to good comic effect and emphasis if it's used sparingly but if it's in use all the time it becomes invisible.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Greatkudu wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 13:33 I have to say I love JJ using the F word in interviews, I suppose it makes me think, he's matured but still has the edge, but on the other scale you have the amazing Adele said with bitter and twisted irony, I watched 2 secs of her sycophantic audience with the great and the good from showbiz, and she was struggling not to say the F word
Yet another trademark piece of Kudu logic here. You love it when a middle class none-more-male member of a band that you like in his advanced years does it, but don't like it when a young working class female singer that you don't like the music of does it. Okay.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

I generally don't care about people swearing in every day conversation, providing it's adult company and any kids are out of earshot of course.

When it comes to art however - whether that be comedy or music or whatever - there has to be a reason or a purpose or else it just sounds pointless and naff.
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

8088 wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 13:50

Swearing can be used to good comic effect and emphasis if it's used sparingly but if it's in use all the time it becomes invisible.
I have been rewatching “Keeping Up Appearances” on the BBC iPlayer, personally I’d have loved to hear Hyacinth Bouquet launching into a sweary rant, you can’t get much more middle class than her. I’m also watching the puerile juvenile humour of The Inbetweeners, can’t ever imagine that working without swearing though.

Post by 8088 »

Jake wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 14:15

I have been rewatching “Keeping Up Appearances” on the BBC iPlayer, personally I’d have loved to hear Hyacinth Bouquet launching into a sweary rant, you can’t get much more middle class than her. I’m also watching the puerile juvenile humour of The Inbetweeners, can’t ever imagine that working without swearing though.
My swearing Olympian of choice is Malcolm Tucker in The Thick Of It...
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

8088 wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 14:19
Oh definitely, Malcolm Tucker was a great character, Peter Capaldi is a top bloke, some would say certainly now is middle class, same for Armando Iannucci who scripted the show, so quite a lot of middle class swearing there I guess 8)
jeanjacketburnel
Rats Rally

Post by jeanjacketburnel »

Don't you have to be over 18 to attend a Stranglers gig?
I think it's 10 for a steps gig if you don't want to be offended
STEVE
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

8088 wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 14:19
Jake wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 14:15

Sir no the Kings of swearing at it was funny, were the late great Pete and Dudd. Some of the funniest comedy ever IMHO.Lt Kudu. :smt005