Baz on the Radio now

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Baz on the Radio now

Post by StanInBlack »

Jake wrote: 21 Nov 2021, 12:33 I’ve attended gigs with a girlfriend, she loved Hugh solo, he also took a shine to her, but she absolutely hated Baz, was actually angry and sickened by him ruining Always the Sun for her and wanted to leave at that point, and has consequently written off the stranglers Post Hugh altogether.
I'm not surprised, his voice doesn't suit the song at all. That and the lyric change of "who gets the job/of sucking my knob?" which he sees fit to do every fucking time he plays it.
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

StanInBlack wrote: 21 Nov 2021, 21:40
Jake wrote: 21 Nov 2021, 12:33 I’ve attended gigs with a girlfriend, she loved Hugh solo, he also took a shine to her, but she absolutely hated Baz, was actually angry and sickened by him ruining Always the Sun for her and wanted to leave at that point, and has consequently written off the stranglers Post Hugh altogether.
I'm not surprised, his voice doesn't suit the song at all. That and the lyric change of "who gets the job/of sucking my knob?" which he sees fit to do every fucking time he plays it.
I saw that on YouTube, it’s bloody annoying. Always the Sun is a serious song, and that ad-lib really cheapens it, also not a great way to go to win over potential new female fans, dare I say 8)
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

In fairness to Baz Paul was the one that started it. That said there's no reason to continue it. I agree it's a serious song, very classy and shouldn't be cheapened like that

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

I agree it's a serious song, very classy and shouldn't be cheapened like that
agreed - seaside card humour and stranglers don't really mix imho
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

I’ve attended gigs with a girlfriend, she loved Hugh solo, he also took a shine to her, but she absolutely hated Baz, was actually angry and sickened by him ruining Always the Sun for her and wanted to leave at that point
My gf only knew a handful of songs - the hits - when we met but I made her some mix cd-r's (remember those) that made her like the band much more.
First gig she saw was in 2003 and she absolutely loved(loves) Paul's voice and energy on stage. Fave CD remains Norfolk Coast. Enjoyed a couple of Baz era gigs with me but is not that impressed anymore yet enjoys the social element.
--eric--
and there i came
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

evonx wrote:
I agree it's a serious song, very classy and shouldn't be cheapened like that
agreed - seaside card humour and stranglers don't really mix imho
Peaches being the only exception.

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

Hugh sung I'm gonna grab my cock on Uptown as well didn't he! :?
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

jason wrote: 21 Nov 2021, 22:38 Hugh sung I'm gonna grab my cock on Uptown as well didn't he! :?
Putting aside that it's his song and he can do what he wants with it (unlike Baz who had absolutely zip to do with the writing or recording of "Always the Sun"), "Uptown" is a far less serious song than "Always the Sun" and Hugh didn't do this every single time he played the song.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

theraven1979 wrote: 21 Nov 2021, 22:30 Peaches being the only exception.
Agreed. "Peaches" isn't a serious song at all!
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

Peaches being the only exception.
Agreed. "Peaches" isn't a serious song at all!
Yes of course - the tongue in cheek "carry on Stranglers" of Peaches, and the "no limits' Nubiles, too...it is probably outdated but musically I still think they are great.

ATS was a cool and intellectual song once. This silly stuff (also the woodblock cheering that started at some point during Paul's years) degrades the song
--eric--
and there i came
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by 8088 »

What's with the "serious song" misnomer - what - in a borderline, Billy Bragg hectoring serious song kind of way? No thanks.

Toiler or La Folie (and many others obviously) are serious songs because they are artistic statements that can be endlessly analysed and be subjected to critical scrutiny - as can Peaches for that matter.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

God does it really offend people that much Baz doing the silly lyric bit in ATS, do you know what offends me it's the fact that the destruction of the Amazon Rainforest is the worst for 20 years, now thats offensive to the whole world, at the end of the day its just a band, its not life and death and live is a form of entertainment, if Baz offends people that much don't go, next people will be saying that Mr Warnes swearing offends you, oh I'm shouting at the clouds again. Lt Kudu. :smt005