Review Of Barry Adamson Autobiog with Stranglers references.

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

The Man They Love To Hate

Review Of Barry Adamson Autobiog with Stranglers references.

Post by 8088 »

Palais81
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Re: Review Of Barry Adamson Autobiog with Stranglers references.

Post by Palais81 »

Many thanks 8088. Very interesting. Methinks I will be getting this book. I even realise that I have seen him live as a Bad Seed. They are sure great band live. Cheers.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Managed to see him in Magazine. Will be buying this at some point

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
kenl

Post by kenl »

Saw magazine 3 times when they re-formed in 2009 and again in 2011.

Right up there with the best gigs I've been too.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

The rumour is the rest of the band wanted to do some more dates but Barry was done with it. Guess that night be in the book

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

I listened to Secondhand Daylight last night. Easily my favourite Magazine album, and part of the reason for that is Barry Adamson's bass playing and bass sound throughout that entire record. Love Colin Thurston's production on it as well - the drum sound in places reminds me of Bowie's Low, which makes sense given that he was the engineer on the "Heroes" album, which was not only the follow-up to Low but used some of the same techniques.

Post by 8088 »

StanInBlack wrote: 16 Nov 2021, 23:39 I listened to Secondhand Daylight last night. Easily my favourite Magazine album, and part of the reason for that is Barry Adamson's bass playing and bass sound throughout that entire record. Love Colin Thurston's production on it as well - the drum sound in places reminds me of Bowie's Low, which makes sense given that he was the engineer on the "Heroes" album, which was not only the follow-up to Low but used some of the same techniques.
It's hard to believe that he could hardly play a note (allegedly) when he auditioned for Magazine.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

8088 wrote: 16 Nov 2021, 23:56
StanInBlack wrote: 16 Nov 2021, 23:39 I listened to Secondhand Daylight last night. Easily my favourite Magazine album, and part of the reason for that is Barry Adamson's bass playing and bass sound throughout that entire record. Love Colin Thurston's production on it as well - the drum sound in places reminds me of Bowie's Low, which makes sense given that he was the engineer on the "Heroes" album, which was not only the follow-up to Low but used some of the same techniques.
It's hard to believe that he could hardly play a note (allegedly) when he auditioned for Magazine.
Yeah, I find that hard to believe as well. His bass playing is so nuanced, particularly in comparison to other bass players of the time like Simple Minds' Derek Forbes or Paul Gardiner from Tubeway Army/the early Gary Numan band. Adamson's bass playing on things like "The Thin Air" remind me of those moments on classic Pink Floyd records where David Gilmour would moonlight on bass.