One more single from Dark Matters?

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Samarkand
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Re: One more single from Dark Matters?

Post by Samarkand »

StanInBlack wrote: 11 Nov 2021, 11:00
Young Mr Grace wrote: 11 Nov 2021, 10:36 Yet it was a top 5 hit. In 2021 this is success.
On the physical chart. In 2021 this is not the chart that counts.
Incorrect - it was no. 4 in "the chart that counts", not the physical sales only chart.

https://www.officialcharts.com/charts/a ... 0917/7502/
Samarkand
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Samarkand wrote: 15 Nov 2021, 23:18
Young Mr Grace wrote: 11 Nov 2021, 10:36 Yet it was a top 5 hit. In 2021 this is success.
Incorrect - it was no. 4 in "the chart that counts", not the physical sales only chart.

Yet it was nowhere to be seen in the streaming chart, which is how the majority of people consume music in 2021.
alaninblack
Rats Rally

Post by alaninblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 15 Nov 2021, 23:52 Yet it was nowhere to be seen in the streaming chart, which is how the majority of people consume music in 2021.
Sometimes I actually wonder if streaming figures are correct, for example is Hughs' most popular song on Spotify really "Johnny Remember Me" and there are no post Stranglers songs by Hugh alone at all that are "popular" and are being streamed ?? See this image from Spotify, is this really correct ? Or is there another "chart" I can search and look at for streaming figures ??
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-11-16 163820.jpg
Screenshot 2021-11-16 163820.jpg (45.08 KiB) Viewed 636 times
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

alaninblack wrote: 16 Nov 2021, 06:44
StanInBlack wrote: 15 Nov 2021, 23:52 Yet it was nowhere to be seen in the streaming chart, which is how the majority of people consume music in 2021.
Sometimes I actually wonder if streaming figures are correct, for example is Hughs' most popular song on Spotify really "Johnny Remember Me" and there are no post Stranglers songs by Hugh alone at all that are "popular" and are being streamed ?? See this image from Spotify, is this really correct ? Or is there another "chart" I can search and look at for streaming figures ??
They should be the correct stream numbers, but the order depends on what's been listened to recently which is why they aren't just in descending order.
It's possible there's another more popular one on another album that just hasn't been streamed for a while, but Hugh's spotify numbers are quite low, so probably not.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

StanInBlack wrote: 15 Nov 2021, 23:52
Samarkand wrote: 15 Nov 2021, 23:18

Yet it was nowhere to be seen in the streaming chart, which is how the majority of people consume music in 2021.
There are still a large number out there who don’t consume music only or primarily by streaming. Therefore there is the combined chart, which includes streaming, downloads and physical sales, so is a fair measure of overall popularity that week and is universally recognised as the ‘chart that counts’ (except by you in supporting your tirade against the current Stranglers, their latest release, and the level of success achievedj
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
alaninblack
Rats Rally

Post by alaninblack »

Samarkand wrote: 15 Nov 2021, 23:18 Incorrect - it was no. 4 in "the chart that counts", not the physical sales only chart.
Forgive me for being naïve, but I still think of the charts as being TOTP on a Thursday night. So the recognised charts by for example, the music business itself will refer to is:

https://www.officialcharts.com

Or will they only look at streaming figures on Spotify, Apple Music, Google and Amazon etc.. and not refer to https://www.officialcharts.com

TIA.
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

Johnny Remember Me is one of those classics that older people (even older than us) think of and type in without knowing who sang it 60 years ago. So the number of streams for Hugh is not strange at all.

Ok back to topic
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

The charts mean fuck all now, but still happy for the Band that DMs charted in the crap charts of today, where people buy shit like Ed Sheerhan and others. Lt Kudu. :smt005
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

Bear Cage wrote: 16 Nov 2021, 08:23 There are still a large number out there who don’t consume music only or primarily by streaming.
I'd guess that covers a lot of fans of the age group that I would particularly associate with the Stranglers and with Hugh. Not all of them, certainly, bu when I picture a Hugh audience or a Stranglers audience, I picture that the majority* of them would rather buy it once and then listen to it as much as they like, rather than having to be connected to something to be able to listen.

(* Internal survey - not researched.)
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Funny how the charts don't mean anything now yet when the band we're in there it meant everything :lol:

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
marky
Ugly
Ugly

Post by marky »

Yes why is that? Half the time people on here hate the fact the stranglers are mainstream and in the charts then say they don’t get the recognition they deserve when they aren’t mentioned in a documentary or if nobody’s heard of the band except golden brown
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by 8088 »

droopsnoot wrote: 16 Nov 2021, 10:47 I picture that the majority* of them would rather buy it once and then listen to it as much as they like, rather than having to be connected to something to be able to listen.

(* Internal survey - not researched.)
Amen to that - I've just lost £600 of software because I haven't upgraded my Apple devices in years.