New song that sounds a bit like the Stranglers

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

The Man They Love To Hate

Re: New song that sounds a bit like the Stranglers

Post by 8088 »

theraven1979 wrote: 29 Oct 2021, 08:45 Yeah not bad - a cross between Stranglers MKII and Aha . I agree with the Richard Dawson comment (if he's the guy who sings the song about Jogging and working in hospitals - if not I've got the wrong guy!)

Jim
That's the chap - though nothing I've heard from him matches the brilliance of Jogging.
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

theraven1979 wrote: 29 Oct 2021, 08:45 a cross between Stranglers MKII and Aha .

Jim
Thanks Jim, that's brilliant :lol:
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"

Post by 8088 »

Was this recorded in a studio or 'home studio' setup - analogue or digital?

I ask because there's great separation on all the instruments that's so hard to get with budget recording (when the track count goes up anyway) - my last demos were done on a £20 iMac G5 which despite being 192/24 still ended up being 'mushy.'
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

8088 wrote: 29 Oct 2021, 09:25 Was this recorded in a studio or 'home studio' setup - analogue or digital?

I ask because there's great separation on all the instruments that's so hard to get with budget recording (when the track count goes up anyway) - my last demos were done on a £20 iMac G5 which despite being 192/24 still ended up being 'mushy.'
Ben does a lot of production work and has a pretty nifty desk with some vintage rack stuff going on. I recorded the bass and synths at mine using a cheap interface into Reaper, Will did something similar with the guitar, then Ben did the drums at his with his fancy gear. I then met up with him to do the vocals. It's all digital.
Usually I do all the mix n stuff myself but I'm glad paying Ben to do it properly has produced noticeably better results!

Post by 8088 »

parasiteinblack wrote: 29 Oct 2021, 09:30 Ben does a lot of production work and has a pretty nifty desk with some vintage rack stuff going on. I recorded the bass and synths at mine using a cheap interface into Reaper, Will did something similar with the guitar, then Ben did the drums at his with his fancy gear. I then met up with him to do the vocals. It's all digital.
Usually I do all the mix n stuff myself but I'm glad paying Ben to do it properly has produced noticeably better results!
That makes sense then - all the magic in the mix happening on real hardware, before getting converted back to zeroes and ones.

I could never get along with Reaper but I think I was working with the built in plugins/FX only.
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

8088 wrote: 29 Oct 2021, 09:42
parasiteinblack wrote: 29 Oct 2021, 09:30 Ben does a lot of production work and has a pretty nifty desk with some vintage rack stuff going on. I recorded the bass and synths at mine using a cheap interface into Reaper, Will did something similar with the guitar, then Ben did the drums at his with his fancy gear. I then met up with him to do the vocals. It's all digital.
That makes sense then - all the magic in the mix happening on real hardware, before getting converted back to zeroes and ones.
Yep.
I could never get along with Reaper but I think I was working with the built in plugins/FX only.
Yeah, I've done that quite a bit in the past with mixed results. This new EP is just dry signals from us which have then been processed by a professional haha.
I've been working on some new material this week running things through a modular set up and that seems to be working quite well. Mutable instruments Clouds is a brilliant thing to muck about with.

Post by 8088 »

parasiteinblack wrote: 29 Oct 2021, 09:48 Mutable instruments Clouds is a brilliant thing to muck about with.
Very EMS VCS3 8)
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

It is Bandcamp Friday if anyone feels like taking advantage of that:
https://parasiteofficial.bandcamp.com/a ... this-is-it
Palais81
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Palais81 »

parasiteinblack wrote: 28 Oct 2021, 23:00
Palais81 wrote: 28 Oct 2021, 22:19 I really like the song. I can hear Stranglers, Captain Sensible, New Model Army and Julian Cope in it. And that ain't bad. In fact - excellent! Cheers.
Fantastic, thanks for that and glad you enjoyed!
The only problem with your latest EP is that it is hogging my stereo. I am playing it more than Dark Matters. Why do you have to write so damned catchy tunes?
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Palais81 wrote: 08 Nov 2021, 23:29
parasiteinblack wrote: 28 Oct 2021, 23:00
Palais81 wrote: 28 Oct 2021, 22:19 I really like the song. I can hear Stranglers, Captain Sensible, New Model Army and Julian Cope in it. And that ain't bad. In fact - excellent! Cheers.
Fantastic, thanks for that and glad you enjoyed!
The only problem with your latest EP is that it is hogging my stereo. I am playing it more than Dark Matters. Why do you have to write so damned catchy tunes?
Haha sorry. Thanks for listening, we really appreciate it :)