French Tour Set Opener....

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Re: French Tour Set Opener....

Post by toilerinblack »

markorbit wrote: 12 Dec 2021, 02:59 Wasn't there some talk of JJ saying they had to 'reign him in a bit'? Doesn't that that tell you that they were aware of Jim's default playing style?
Yes you could be right there then i wasn't aware jj had said that then if he did again i as the non drummer is listening and trying to understand what sounds bloody good to me,in which case what others have been saying could well be correct i wouldn't really know,but surely how good does this band have to be up on stage? the tours going very well off the back of a bloody good album production sound wise,well it's more than good enough for me others will think differently and that's fair enough we all think differently and are respected with our differeneces of opinions too for sure after all this is a forum.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 12 Dec 2021, 02:33
Greatkudu wrote: 11 Dec 2021, 23:12
Jake wrote: 11 Dec 2021, 00:55 I watched a version of “Water” on YouTube not sure what gig, but I really didn’t rate the drumming even more live than on record. Ok I’m not a drummer, but good drummers are hard to come by, There is so much more to drumming than just hitting hard and crashing on the symbols, which was what the drummer was doing, sorry but I don’t rate him much at all. Granted he’s not the worst drummer out there by any stretch but totally lacks the subtlety of Jet integral to the stranglers sound imho
Sir you just have to accept Jim is not Jet and never will be, he hits the drums so much harder and has tub thumping sticks which are 3A,but he gives the band alot of energy, and does some nice little Cymbal touches, I watch with scrutiny what he does and I see things I'm not happy with but I'm being picky, JJ is obviously happy with him as he needs the drummer to be tight for his bass, but of course Jet had far more subtley as he came from a Jazz background, IMHO Jazz drummers are the best, but Jim is a really good drummer, not the greatest, but more importantly he fits with band, you could put the best drummer in the world in the Stranglers and he or she wouldn't Necessarily be right for the band, so i am happy with Jim but he gives his drums some abuse as he hits fucking hard.Lt Kudu. :smt005
Well again you are the drummer out of us and i'm not and you studying the every move of Jim live and thinking he's hitting to hard with a 3A stick or whatever i hear you,i as a non drummer thought people thought his drumming on DM was great and was full of prasises for Jim.
Are you saying that the recordings he did in the studio was good enough but it's different when a drummer plays live with the acoustic sounds up on stage within a band playing live he's now using the wrong weighted sticks? again like i say i'm the non drummer whose just finishing off after weeks of studying and hearing Jim past efforts with other bands since 2008 and i think that his experiance as a drummer and a studio technician is more than qualified to play correctly and good enough for the stranglers who suerly would of probably known i would of thought as a pro too about what your saying is wrong with his play and what about Jet does he think Jim's playing wrongly on his ex songs live ?
I can see live that JJ really gets on with him and obviously has to work so closely with his drummer as bassists and drummers do so i don't really understand all the little not good enoughs as i'm not a drummer, but for me i'm more than happy with Jim after now nearly a decade with the band can he really not hear or understand that he's hitting to hard with the wrong weighted sticks if i understand correctly from a drummer like yourself?
Can the band members not hear that it's wrong especially jj with Jim right behind him playing together with his every note on the bass?
Like i say i wouldn't understand the drumming in and out's others do ,but for me i'm more than happy with him and how he's played in France.
But i have listened to a drummer's opinion on Jim which is more than fair enough your the expert and i'm not so to speak, but for me including now Toby the four of them have again been more than good enough and was well received by the French audience....well done to all of them from just one fan's opinion on them playing amazingly to tracks like Tank and Heroes where Jim i think certainly stood right out on sound and pace,again i'm the non drummer on the subject compared to others who know more about drumming than me.
Sir I'm no expert, I think Jim is a great drummer, but obvious he hits harder than Jet as he's alot younger, he has a different style to Jet, and of course the weight of his sticks is bound to make a difference to the sound when it's going through a 30,000 watt Pa system, so if you are using 3A sticks as opposed to Jet's 5c is going to be a fuck of alot louder, Jet hit pretty hard in his day to, I remember at a gig at Poole Arts Centre in 1982 he broke his snare head, Hugh said to audience you've busted a drum head, your breathing to Heavy, so they changed the snare over, But I'm happy with Jim, he's a tight powerful drummer but a less sophisticated drummer than Jet, and that's not meant as an insult. Lt Kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Like we have said on numerous occasions before that this is a forum and everybody is entitled to their opinions and views to criticise any member of the current line up,i personally think that this current line up needs all the support from their fans as much as possible following events of the last year or so.
After now listening to a lot of the live tracks from a lot on the French tour venues i again have been really impressed with what I've heard so far on it,Toby's made great waves on his debut tour and Jim has drummed his heart out especially to the fast paced tracks like Tank,Toiler and Heroes the list goes on for me.. so may the good gigs continue on into the UK next year and it's good that on the whole this tour has been well received over there and here too.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 12 Dec 2021, 21:16 Like we have said on numerous occasions before that this is a forum and everybody is entitled to their opinions and views to criticise any member of the current line up,i personally think that this current line up needs all the support from their fans as much as possible following events of the last year or so.
After now listening to a lot of the live tracks from a lot on the French tour venues i again have been really impressed with what I've heard so far on it,Toby's made great waves on his debut tour and Jim has drummed his heart out especially to the fast paced tracks like Tank,Toiler and Heroes the list goes on for me.. so may the good gigs continue on into the UK next year and it's good that on the whole this tour has been well received over there and here too.
Sir i agree with all you say, the band need our support, I will certainly show that in Reading next year, I have been so impressed with the French footage JJ as good as ever, Baz is just Baz, and Jim playing his heart out and Toby impressing big time, so admire him. Lt Kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 13 Dec 2021, 01:40
toilerinblack wrote: 12 Dec 2021, 21:16 Like we have said on numerous occasions before that this is a forum and everybody is entitled to their opinions and views to criticise any member of the current line up,i personally think that this current line up needs all the support from their fans as much as possible following events of the last year or so.
Sir i agree with all you say, the band need our support, I will certainly show that in Reading next year, I have been so impressed with the French footage JJ as good as ever, Baz is just Baz, and Jim playing his heart out and Toby impressing big time, so admire him. Lt Kudu.
Great stuff i agree with all you say and let's hope you get to see them also in Reading next year...here's hoping.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

My last appreciation piece for jim as they venture France will be my last one and i've given it my very best shot being the last one also with a small remberance mention reference about Dave too,should post before the weekend's out i hope those who like poems about the band and it's members will enjoy it called.....S.H.I.P.W.R.E.C.K.E.D onto No Man's Land.
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

toilerinblack wrote: 17 Dec 2021, 00:21 My last appreciation piece for jim as they venture France will be my last one and i've given it my very best shot being the last one also with a small remberance mention reference about Dave too,should post before the weekend's out i hope those who like poems about the band and it's members will enjoy it called.....S.H.I.P.W.R.E.C.K.E.D onto No Man's Land.
Look forward to it
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

putting the finishing touches to it hopefully...saving the best to last.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 17 Dec 2021, 23:33 putting the finishing touches to it hopefully...saving the best to last.
Sir we look forward to your Magnus Opus. No pressure. Lt Kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 18 Dec 2021, 10:11
toilerinblack wrote: 17 Dec 2021, 23:33 putting the finishing touches to it hopefully...saving the best to last.
Sir we look forward to your Magnus Opus. No pressure. Lt Kudu.
Thanks...will post it when it's finished i have been really busy but will post it when completed.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Sorry no Jim poem i was about to release it when some how my work got deleted and i can't retrieve it,so i'm gutted it was about two months worth of work mind you those who don't like poems might be happy i suppose lol
I will do one for Jim maybe in the new year but it was by far my best piece to date but never mind... i'm just gutted.
ricam
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by ricam »

toilerinblack wrote:Sorry no Jim poem i was about to release it when some how my work got deleted and i can't retrieve it,so i'm gutted it was about two months worth of work mind you those who don't like poems might be happy i suppose lol
I will do one for Jim maybe in the new year but it was by far my best piece to date but never mind... i'm just gutted.
If you are using a PC, might be worth looking in the recycle bin?

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk