French Tour Set Opener....

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

strangledinAuch
The Man They Love To Hate

Re: French Tour Set Opener....

Post by strangledinAuch »

jeromeinparis wrote: 09 Dec 2021, 15:02
Bear Cage wrote: 09 Dec 2021, 12:18
Bear Cage wrote: 09 Dec 2021, 12:14 Great short set list for French TV, almost entirely Baz era songs.
Water
Wild
This Song
Norfolk
Sun
Harry (French)
Stallion
Relentless
Hanging
Heroes
Moon
Walk on by
Go buddy go
Tank
were added, it was not planned, but JJ ask the producer if they can play more, cause it was frustrating to play just 11 songs.
There were 2 bands before les étrangleurs, Keren Ann and Jesus & Mary Chain. But the majority of the audience came to see les étrangleurs.
We were closer from the band, and as I also said, JJ is in a really really good shape, incerdible, he seems to be very very happy to play.
Any idea when this is going to be broadcast Jerome?
See You At The Bar
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

strangledinAuch wrote: 09 Dec 2021, 16:22
jeromeinparis wrote: 09 Dec 2021, 15:02
Bear Cage wrote: 09 Dec 2021, 12:18

Water
Wild
This Song
Norfolk
Sun
Harry (French)
Stallion
Relentless
Hanging
Heroes
Moon
Walk on by
Go buddy go
Tank
were added, it was not planned, but JJ ask the producer if they can play more, cause it was frustrating to play just 11 songs.
There were 2 bands before les étrangleurs, Keren Ann and Jesus & Mary Chain. But the majority of the audience came to see les étrangleurs.
We were closer from the band, and as I also said, JJ is in a really really good shape, incerdible, he seems to be very very happy to play.
Any idea when this is going to be broadcast Jerome?
Sound's a great little set.... funny that i said i wonder if they would do Harry at some point after hearing Toby do such a nice piece on the keys on his Dave tribute that he played so nicely.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Well, look at that. 50% MKI and 50% post-Hugh. For once.

Betcha it doesn't stay that way.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

lol ...it's all evens at 7 song's a piece they are obviously very happy with their material post Hugh and especially happy to play alot from DM and why not it's a bloody good album and of course naturally Relentless has to be there too...which it is lol i also think that before DM release it would of probably mostly have been MK1 material on a short set,so i think it backs up their belief in DM along to with the fans positive reaction to the album who have enjoyed hearing those tracks live on the tour so far with the band knowing that too who i think will continue to play a good 3-4 from DM on the UK tour when we do get one,with Stallion now staying as a new live classic favourite with the fans which i think is nice to have a new classic and not always a classic from way back when that we've all heard a million times even though they will always be the very best this band will ever produce in their career and most of us appreciate and recognise that as the case, but i do think it's great hearing a new classic one too live and Stallion's up there in that category i'd say too.
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

StanInBlack wrote: 09 Dec 2021, 18:21 Well, look at that. 50% MKI and 50% post-Hugh. For once.

And I’d hope so too, it's The Stranglers after all (and most of what they play are co-compositions).
When I go to see the Stranglers I want them to play a good mix of their best material, which is their first 7 and last 4 albums plus the odd track from in between, and for them to include something I’ve not seen them play before.
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Bear Cage wrote:
StanInBlack wrote: 09 Dec 2021, 18:21 Well, look at that. 50% MKI and 50% post-Hugh. For once.

And I’d hope so too, it's The Stranglers after all (and most of what they play are co-compositions).
When I go to see the Stranglers I want them to play a good mix of their best material, which is their first 7 and last 4 albums plus the odd track from in between, and for them to include something I’ve not seen them play before.
Agreed. They do rely heavily on the songs Hugh wrote with them when he was in the band. Actually when I say "them" i mean JJ.

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Bear Cage wrote: 09 Dec 2021, 19:37

Well i think that was well said Jim, i agree totally with your outlook of a good gig.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Just heard Harry's french live version.....Well done Toby you done Dave proud again.
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

I watched a version of “Water” on YouTube not sure what gig, but I really didn’t rate the drumming even more live than on record. Ok I’m not a drummer, but good drummers are hard to come by, There is so much more to drumming than just hitting hard and crashing on the symbols, which was what the drummer was doing, sorry but I don’t rate him much at all. Granted he’s not the worst drummer out there by any stretch but totally lacks the subtlety of Jet integral to the stranglers sound imho
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

theraven1979 wrote: 09 Dec 2021, 20:22
Bear Cage wrote:

Agreed. They do rely heavily on the songs Hugh wrote with them when he was in the band. Actually when I say "them" i mean JJ.

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Well on the whole in the past well up to presently i suppose they have played Hugh tracks very heavily in their setlist that's true enough obviously the fact being they are some of their biggest selling song's and most liked song's and hits that the fans still want to hear forever, but i feel post Dave the tide could be changing we shall see as i feel presently they are showing signs of having more self belief in their own material nowday's as more and more of their own material is getting more evenly balanced and played alongside the Hugh ones which previously wouldn't of ever happened at probably any point post '90.
But we shall see as time unfolds with Toby now the new member in the band with also JJ being the sole playing member left of the once Guilford Stranglers Gang lol..... so i feel the set is now distancing itself maybe it being a slow change from the previously heavily played MK1 songs at gigs from the past that they would on the whole play, but a change of direction for sure i feel is happening with the band now.
Been listening to the tour with headphones on finishing the final touches to Jim's appreciation piece....will post when completed.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Person sees a setlist from a gig that isn't actually a proper gig and believes this is the rule rather than the exception. Film at 11.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 11 Dec 2021, 13:12 Person sees a setlist from a gig that isn't actually a proper gig and believes this is the rule rather than the exception. Film at 11.
Well if you mean me no i don't think what i've said is from one non gig set list to come to that assumption no, even though not so long ago even a non gig set list would still probably have consisted of more MK1 tracks of the past than the new ones at a guess.We shall see on future set lists if the trend does continue on in that way of being a more even one with pre and post '90 tracks or not,i just feel they are more than happy and are proud with what they produced with DM and seem happy to play plenty off it and why not it's a great album than they ever did from some of the more previous albums ever got i could name,but again it's only my right or wrong opinion on set list matters.