French Tour Set Opener....

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: French Tour Set Opener....

Post by Greatkudu »

markorbit wrote: 07 Dec 2021, 11:50
Greatkudu wrote: 07 Dec 2021, 09:30
alaninblack wrote: 07 Dec 2021, 06:30 A few more snippets here, Toiler, Midnight Summer Dream, Duchess, European Female and that now all time classic crowd pleaser - The Lines : )

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCosDdQ ... nk9UIuW4Ug

Edit: Listening to Duchess makes me realise how much Dave's backing vocals will be missed, I'm sure he used to handle the top end of the vocal "harmonics" (I'm not a muso, so please tell me otherwise) - hard to really tell from the video and crowd noise though.
Yes Dave did some fantastic backing vocals in so many songs, Duchess possibly the standout one but ATS to and he did the harmony bit at the end of GB, so its really so much that the band lost, but current lineup are trying to do as good as they can. Lt Kudu.
Songs such as Duchess, Hanging Around or Nuclear Device had that great blend of Dave & JJ's voices.
Yes I think If anyone sees the band now, they just have to take in to account what it is now,its best not to watch old clips of Mk1 as you wouldn't go, but I saw a clip of Heroes from a day ago? And Toby totally nailed the Heroes solo, and you could tell how pleased JJ was as he did a little kick after the solo, so still a great live band and I've only seen positive comments from the French audience, the negative ones are from some brits. Lt Kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 07 Dec 2021, 11:59
Greatkudu wrote: 07 Dec 2021, 09:30

Yes Dave did some fantastic backing vocals in so many songs, Duchess possibly the standout one but ATS to and he did the harmony bit at the end of GB, so its really so much that the band lost, but current lineup are trying to do as good as they can. Lt Kudu.
Songs such as Duchess, Hanging Around or Nuclear Device had that great blend of Dave & JJ's voices.
Yes I think If anyone sees the band now, they just have to take in to account what it is now,its best not to watch old clips of Mk1 as you wouldn't go, but I saw a clip of Heroes from a day ago? And Toby totally nailed the Heroes solo, and you could tell how pleased JJ was as he did a little kick after the solo, so still a great live band and I've only seen positive comments from the French audience, the negative ones are from some brits. Lt Kudu.
Yep agreed that to me sums it up about right on the overall state of play,yes to Toby's Heroes who nailed it for sure for me with also Jim's drums too
So overall for me the non originals are doing very well keeping this band going as a bloody good quality paced one.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 07 Dec 2021, 13:04, edited 1 time in total.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 07 Dec 2021, 12:25

Yep agreed that to me sums it up about right on the overall state of play,yes to Toby's Heroes who Solo nailed it for sure for me with alsoJim's drums to the same song too.
So overall for me the non originals are doing very well keeping this band going as a bloody good quality paced one.
Sir yes they are, and saw footage of Duchess again Jim's drums were great,you have to accept its different people, and the French audience seem happy and saw a very good review, Toby has been totally accepted by the band which is nice. And he is a really nice bloke and talented player. I think I see the band having maybe another 2 or 3 years to be honest, I can't see another album or any dynamic for one, just have to enjoy Dark Matters which i still think is really good.Lt Kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 07 Dec 2021, 12:47
toilerinblack wrote: 07 Dec 2021, 12:25

Yep agreed that to me sums it up about right on the overall state of play,yes to Toby's Heroes who Solo nailed it for sure for me with alsoJim's drums to the same song too.
Sir yes they are, and saw footage of Duchess again Jim's drums were great,you have to accept its different people, and the French audience seem happy and saw a very good review, Toby has been totally accepted by the band which is nice. And he is a really nice bloke and talented player. I think I see the band having maybe another 2 or 3 years to be honest, I can't see another album or any dynamic for one, just have to enjoy Dark Matters which i still think is really good.Lt Kudu.
Yes agreed it is how it is or this is whats left i'm afraid after all these years,people can say whatever they like about new comers coming in but they are
enabling this band to still get their material heard and out their which in 2021 is bloody amazing,will it ever be how they once were no never but credit to them all still who are all trying so hard to do their craft so people can still have a good night which isn't easy by a long chalk,what's the alternative there is none ....No Stranglers,just the recordings and vids...not a very nice thought, so i say get behind them still.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 07 Dec 2021, 14:08, edited 2 times in total.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Yeah, Dave did a lot of backing vocals and his voice blended rather nicely with both Hugh's and JJ's. It's yet another vital, essential part of The Stranglers' sound which has been lost.

The Stranglers really were four unique individuals, and it was the blend of those four really unique individuals that created the Stranglers' sound. What the recent line-up has shown is you can replace musicians that are full of character and quirk with professional sessioneers and it'll affect the overall sound to the point where the character and soul is sucked out of it.
strangledinAuch
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by strangledinAuch »

StanInBlack wrote: 07 Dec 2021, 13:24 Yeah, Dave did a lot of backing vocals and his voice blended rather nicely with both Hugh's and JJ's. It's yet another vital, essential part of The Stranglers' sound which has been lost.

The Stranglers really were four unique individuals, and it was the blend of those four really unique individuals that created the Stranglers' sound. What the recent line-up has shown is you can replace musicians that are full of character and quirk with professional sessioneers and it'll affect the overall sound to the point where the character and soul is sucked out of it.
We can't bring Dave & Jet back though Stan
So you either continue with it or just let it go
Things will and can never be the same again

I admit myself,when Hugh left,I gave up on them aswell
It took me over 20 years before I went to see them again
But I'm so glad l did
See You At The Bar
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

strangledinAuch wrote: 07 Dec 2021, 13:34
StanInBlack wrote: 07 Dec 2021, 13:24 Yeah, Dave did a lot of backing vocals and his voice blended rather nicely with both Hugh's and JJ's. It's yet another vital, essential part of The Stranglers' sound which has been lost.

We can't bring Dave & Jet back though Stan

I admit myself,when Hugh left,I gave up on them aswell
It took me over 20 years before I went to see them again
But I'm so glad l did
Well it was the same for me too that's why most on here know so much more than me on post hugh mk's because when Hugh left i gave up too,it did take me along time again too to see them live again,where i just continued on post '90 following Hugh over the decades still whose a lovely man who always had time to have a great chat with me over the years and i will never forget the long chat i had with him in his room straight after a gig in Banbury which was really nice of him where we talked about some of the Hammersmith gigs from back when lol.But yes i agree they were four unique indivduals who blended to give them their rare sound i agree which we all look back on with fondness and will always cherish those recordings.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

strangledinAuch wrote: 07 Dec 2021, 13:34 We can't bring Dave & Jet back though Stan
I realise that, which is why I won't be going to any of the gigs - of course, this is my personal choice. I just feel that the band has run its course and they no longer resemble what they once were - the band whose music I fell in love with in the first place. I didn't even buy Dark Matters - after Giants, I thought I'd try it before I forked out money for it, and upon hearing it decided not to. It feels to me like they've turned into the sort of band that I never thought they would turn into.
strangledinAuch
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by strangledinAuch »

StanInBlack wrote: 07 Dec 2021, 15:13
strangledinAuch wrote: 07 Dec 2021, 13:34 We can't bring Dave & Jet back though Stan
I realise that, which is why I won't be going to any of the gigs - of course, this is my personal choice. I just feel that the band has run its course and they no longer resemble what they once were - the band whose music I fell in love with in the first place. I didn't even buy Dark Matters - after Giants, I thought I'd try it before I forked out money for it, and upon hearing it decided not to. It feels to me like they've turned into the sort of band that I never thought they would turn into.
That's fair enough Stan
See You At The Bar
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 07 Dec 2021, 15:13
Well i kinda half agree here that for me i won't be going to any more of their gigs too which is for obvious reasons of the band today,but no i don't also on the other hand think that for one minute think they have run their course or even round the last bend and the home straight yet if that's what they wish to still do that is.They are all very good at what they do with the bands music still sounding very good and going by the french tours reaction the fans are still really having a good time so why should they stop? but i certainly don't think they've run their course it's just one's own choice if they still wish to continue on seeing them live still or not,but as an act they are still very good i think to continue on in just my one fans opinion.
It's obviously your choice not to purchase DM but i think they haven't changed or turned into a band that's much different really,you couldn't get a more classic Stranglers sounding JJ written song than Water that is your typical strangers song that still sounds a song that could of been written by JJ decades ago.But yes there are very different tracks on DM it's a very mixed newer sounding album true,but as usual each to their own.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

Looking on Amazon about 85% of the 250 plus reviews give Dark Matters a 5 star review so it can't be that bad! There's about 3 people that give it 2 stars!
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

Great short set list for French TV, almost entirely Baz era songs.
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.