French Tour Set Opener....

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: French Tour Set Opener....

Post by Greatkudu »

StanInBlack wrote: 05 Dec 2021, 23:50 Hmmyeah, Toby completely botches the solo on "Go Buddy Go" and I've heard versions of "Tank" by MKII that far outclass what I'd call a middling rendition by JJ Burnel & Friends.
That's really the problem, you just can't beat the original lineup live at their peak, so anything else is going to be second best, even though I still like the band,but it's hard watching some of the latest videos, it's becoming a bit like the Emperors New Clothes. Lt Kudu.
jonimac
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by jonimac »

StanInBlack wrote: 05 Dec 2021, 23:50 Hmmyeah, Toby completely botches the solo on "Go Buddy Go" and I've heard versions of "Tank" by MKII that far outclass what I'd call a middling rendition by JJ Burnel & Friends.
Stan,

I'm just wondering how many times you saw Mk 1, in order to provide context to your comparisons?

I only ask because at times it reads like you are trolling on website to which you seem to be a mod.
From Glasgow, the centre of Stranglermania (copyright Strangled 1982)
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Does it matter? There's plenty of decent MKI recordings.

I guess with any live band performance there's gonna be the odd clanger. Part of the live experience.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
jonimac

Post by jonimac »

Actually personally I think it does. Otherwise you are comparing video clips and audio tracks. As opposed to the whole gig experience with "JJ Burnel and friends"
From Glasgow, the centre of Stranglermania (copyright Strangled 1982)
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I disagree he's comparing a video against another video. It's a like for like comparison (for what it's worth).

Jim
jonimac wrote: 06 Dec 2021, 10:27 Actually personally I think it does. Otherwise you are comparing video clips and audio tracks. As opposed to the whole gig experience with "JJ Burnel and friends"
strangledinAuch

Post by strangledinAuch »

They opened with Toiler On The Sea in Toulouse last night :smt041
See You At The Bar
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

I'm not surprised that Water has been dropped as set opener.It wasn't suitable from the start.
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

theraven1979 wrote: 06 Dec 2021, 11:11 I disagree he's comparing a video against another video. It's a like for like comparison (for what it's worth).

Jim
jonimac wrote: 06 Dec 2021, 10:27 Actually personally I think it does. Otherwise you are comparing video clips and audio tracks. As opposed to the whole gig experience with "JJ Burnel and friends"
The problem is videos never come even remotely close to capturing a live experience, so you’re only comparing shadows.
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
alaninblack
Rats Rally

Post by alaninblack »

A few more snippets here, Toiler, Midnight Summer Dream, Duchess, European Female and that now all time classic crowd pleaser - The Lines : )

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCosDdQ ... nk9UIuW4Ug

Edit: Listening to Duchess makes me realise how much Dave's backing vocals will be missed, I'm sure he used to handle the top end of the vocal "harmonics" (I'm not a muso, so please tell me otherwise) - hard to really tell from the video and crowd noise though.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Agreed, which is why I put the "for what it's worth" comment in my reply.

Jim
Bear Cage wrote: 07 Dec 2021, 00:54
theraven1979 wrote: 06 Dec 2021, 11:11 I disagree he's comparing a video against another video. It's a like for like comparison (for what it's worth).

Jim
The problem is videos never come even remotely close to capturing a live experience, so you’re only comparing shadows.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

alaninblack wrote: 07 Dec 2021, 06:30 A few more snippets here, Toiler, Midnight Summer Dream, Duchess, European Female and that now all time classic crowd pleaser - The Lines : )

Edit: Listening to Duchess makes me realise how much Dave's backing vocals will be missed, I'm sure he used to handle the top end of the vocal "harmonics" (I'm not a muso, so please tell me otherwise) - hard to really tell from the video and crowd noise though.
Yes Dave did some fantastic backing vocals in so many songs, Duchess possibly the standout one but ATS to and he did the harmony bit at the end of GB, so its really so much that the band lost, but current lineup are trying to do as good as they can. Lt Kudu.
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

Greatkudu wrote: 07 Dec 2021, 09:30
alaninblack wrote: 07 Dec 2021, 06:30 A few more snippets here, Toiler, Midnight Summer Dream, Duchess, European Female and that now all time classic crowd pleaser - The Lines : )

Yes Dave did some fantastic backing vocals in so many songs, Duchess possibly the standout one but ATS to and he did the harmony bit at the end of GB, so its really so much that the band lost, but current lineup are trying to do as good as they can. Lt Kudu.
Songs such as Duchess, Hanging Around or Nuclear Device had that great blend of Dave & JJ's voices.
Let's Boogie