French Tour Set Opener....

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: French Tour Set Opener....

Post by theraven1979 »

Agreed. You can pluck the odd duff line out of some songs on 10 but in the whole the song writing is pretty good. In This Place, Never To Look Back, Out Of My Mind, Sweet Smell. All good just suffering from over blown production.

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

StanInBlack wrote: 04 Dec 2021, 13:15
Bear Cage wrote: 04 Dec 2021, 12:50 I think 10 demonstrated that when writing alone neither Hugh or JJ produce that many good songs, or their best work. They both need someone to bounce ideas off, encourage and pick the best ones to develop.
I disagree, I think the pair of them have demonstrated they can come up with the goods when writing alone. Hugh hitting the mark easily more often than JJ of course. 10 just captured a moment where the pair of them were going off the boil at the same time, which is unfortunate.
10 seems to universally be considered the worst Mk l album (and it was one with minimal joint working). Although there are a couple of good tracks and a few ok ones, there’s also some poor ones, hence my comment ‘10 demonstrated that when writing alone neither Hugh or JJ produce THAT MANY good songs, or their best work’.
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Bear Cage wrote: 04 Dec 2021, 18:56 10 seems to universally be considered the worst Mk l album (and it was one with minimal joint working). Although there are a couple of good tracks and a few ok ones, there’s also some poor ones, hence my comment ‘10 demonstrated that when writing alone neither Hugh or JJ produce THAT MANY good songs, or their best work’.
...and I still disagree with you because I was taking into consideration JJ and Hugh's entire careers, not just 10.
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

StanInBlack wrote: 04 Dec 2021, 18:59
Bear Cage wrote: 04 Dec 2021, 18:56 10 seems to universally be considered the worst Mk l album (and it was one with minimal joint working). Although there are a couple of good tracks and a few ok ones, there’s also some poor ones, hence my comment ‘10 demonstrated that when writing alone neither Hugh or JJ produce THAT MANY good songs, or their best work’.
...and I still disagree with you because I was taking into consideration JJ and Hugh's entire careers, not just 10.
As was I
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Bear Cage wrote: 04 Dec 2021, 19:04
As was I
No, what you've done is made a sweeping judgement on both Hugh's and JJ's ability to produce a number of great songs by themselves based solely on their songwriting output during the 10 period when there's evidence throughout both JJ and Hugh's entire careers that is contrary to this. Particularly Hugh's.
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

StanInBlack wrote: 04 Dec 2021, 19:08
Bear Cage wrote: 04 Dec 2021, 19:04

As was I
No, what you've done is made a sweeping judgement on both Hugh's and JJ's ability to produce a number of great songs by themselves based solely on their songwriting output during the 10 period when there's evidence throughout both JJ and Hugh's entire careers that is contrary to this. Particularly Hugh's.
No, I cited 10 as an example; the evidence throughout their careers is the output is generally (but not always) better when they are writing with someone.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Bear Cage wrote: 04 Dec 2021, 19:14 No, I cited 10 as an example; the evidence throughout their careers is the output is generally (but not always) better when they are writing with someone.
...and again, I disagree.
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

StanInBlack wrote: 04 Dec 2021, 19:31
Bear Cage wrote: 04 Dec 2021, 19:14 No, I cited 10 as an example; the evidence throughout their careers is the output is generally (but not always) better when they are writing with someone.
...and again, I disagree.
As I always expect you to, doesn’t make you right though.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

theraven1979 wrote: 04 Dec 2021, 13:18 Agreed. You can pluck the odd duff line out of some songs on 10 but in the whole the song writing is pretty good. In This Place, Never To Look Back, Out Of My Mind, Sweet Smell. All good just suffering from over blown production.

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Yep all good like you say nothing at all wrong in my mind with most of Hugh's songs on 10 for me and the production mmm well i like but can understand people's view on the production front but overall from me anyway and i might well be in the minority but i don't care i still say it's a bloody good album well apart from a few tracks with it's great Tour too with Hugh leaving the band on top form like only he can do.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Just heard an AMAZING GO BUDDY GO from Transbordeur...TOBY's amazing keys!!!!!! Great guitar from baz and drums from Jim and great vocals from JJ the boys can still rock it! Tank Fantastic jim exploding on the drums and great keys again from Toby well impressed.Tank cannot be done any better post Hugh than this version was.... their energy at this point in time of their career is quite remarkable i say.
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

toilerinblack wrote: 05 Dec 2021, 22:31 .Tank cannot be done any better post Hugh than this version was....
Had to check this out after reading your post. Never mind post-Hugh, what about Dave and Jet?
Toby does a good job on the keys but it does miss Jet's touches on the drums.
But got to say, it is a fantastic version and looking forward to finally seeing this lineup.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Hmmyeah, Toby completely botches the solo on "Go Buddy Go" and I've heard versions of "Tank" by MKII that far outclass what I'd call a middling rendition by JJ Burnel & Friends.