Ultimate Setlist

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

marky
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Ultimate Setlist

Post by marky »

Will do my usual then ghost train hitman white club mad hatter then apart from those anything from the stranglers vast career but not from the last album
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

I think probably the best set I have seen the band do would be 1979 Raven your , opened with 5 minutes .......Golden Brown didn't exist then , none of this slow slushy stuff , no jazzy songs , no accoustic type . Great times . There was a time I could feel of the songs in order back then , not any more though . Of the sets I have seen then that would be my best , and first . Of all songs though.......
Grip
Relentless
Hanging around
Straighten out
Duchess
Nuclear device
Thrown away
Sleazy
Time to die
Norfolk
Big thing
Heroes
5 minutes
Shah Shah
Sweden
Tank

Sewer
English towns
Genetix
Go buddy go
Spectre
All quiet ..........
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

Yukio! wrote:
StanInBlack wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 09:15 It would depend who's on stage, of course... and since one member left the band, one member has passed away and one member has retired, for me this is a pointless exercise.
Lighten up ye miserable fucker
I Hate You !
Yukio!
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Yukio! »

marky wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 14:18 Will do my usual then ghost train hitman white club mad hatter then apart from those anything from the stranglers vast career but not from the last album
I actually don’t mind Ghost Train at all. I’ve always enjoyed Hugh’s vocals on it.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Yukio! wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 20:23 I actually don’t mind Ghost Train at all. I’ve always enjoyed Hugh’s vocals on it.
Neither do I. I'd love to see Hugh do it live :grin:
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

Yep Ghost Train is a good number, but not one I’d relish Baz doing, Hugh doing it sounds interesting though.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Jake wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 20:34 Yep Ghost Train is a good number, but not one I’d relish Baz doing, Hugh doing it sounds interesting though.
I think Hugh would be able to re-arrange it into a guitar driven bluesy number, although I'm unsure as to whether he'd be able to deliver that impassioned vocal live in the same way as he does on the record. It's probably one of the reasons why The Stranglers themselves didn't tackle the track live.

Baz has absolutely zero chance of delivering a vocal like that. I sure wouldn't like to hear him try.
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

StanInBlack wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 21:10
Jake wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 20:34 Yep Ghost Train is a good number, but not one I’d relish Baz doing, Hugh doing it sounds interesting though.
I think Hugh would be able to re-arrange it into a guitar driven bluesy number, although I'm unsure as to whether he'd be able to deliver that impassioned vocal live in the same way as he does on the record. It's probably one of the reasons why The Stranglers themselves didn't tackle the track live.

Baz has absolutely zero chance of delivering a vocal like that. I sure wouldn't like to hear him try.

I’ll say this, going to see Hugh live, which again I haven’t for a very long time now, I do like the way he totally reinterprets the stranglers songs. He’s definitely going out of his comfort zone and trying to do something really original. I saw quite a lot of Hugh’s gigs over a five year period, usually going with a different mate each time, and they were invariably left speechless.

I haven’t seen Hugh’s current line up, they look ok on YouTube, but the line up who worked the best for me at any rate was with Chris Bell and Caz Campbell, comparatively much better gigs than stranglers gigs at the time.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Jake wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 21:27 I’ll say this, going to see Hugh live, which again I haven’t for a very long time now, I do like the way he totally reinterprets the stranglers songs. He’s definitely going out of his comfort zone and trying to do something really original. I saw quite a lot of Hugh’s gigs over a five year period, usually going with a different mate each time, and they were invariably left speechless.

I haven’t seen Hugh’s current line up, they look ok on YouTube, but the line up who worked the best for me at any rate was with Chris Bell and Caz Campbell, comparatively much better gigs than stranglers gigs at the time.
I particularly like what he did with "Bear Cage" live, I feel he unlocked potential in that song that the single version only merely hinted at.
alaninblack
Rats Rally

Post by alaninblack »

Palais81 wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 13:40 Hooray! Someone's remembered Nuclear Device. Bruce Sheilah!
I've lived downunder for many years now and im the only one that shouts that during that track at a gig - not sure if they still do in the UK, but it was a bit of fun back in the day.
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

StanInBlack wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 21:30

I particularly like what he did with "Bear Cage" live, I feel he unlocked potential in that song that the single version only merely hinted at.
Sewer was always mind blowing, it’s one you wouldn’t expect to work live, given how integral Dave’s keys are to it.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 20:31
Yukio! wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 20:23 I actually don’t mind Ghost Train at all. I’ve always enjoyed Hugh’s vocals on it.
Neither do I. I'd love to see Hugh do it live :grin:
Me too...What a song and vocals used by Hugh like never before,i don't think Hugh could attempt a track like Ghost Tain live nowday's anyway lol,but yes what a blinding track from the the best stranglers MK band ever.....MK1!
My Ultimate Setlist was based on any of the bands song's by who recorded them at the time so alot of mine are based on hugh vocal's so in a way stan i agree it would matter to who was on stage your right and if this setlist is based on today's line up then most of my setlist would have to change lol