Ultimate Setlist

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Re: Ultimate Setlist

Post by aldinblack »

StanInBlack wrote:
Jake wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 20:34 Yep Ghost Train is a good number, but not one I’d relish Baz doing, Hugh doing it sounds interesting though.
I think Hugh would be able to re-arrange it into a guitar driven bluesy number, although I'm unsure as to whether he'd be able to deliver that impassioned vocal live in the same way as he does on the record. It's probably one of the reasons why The Stranglers themselves didn't tackle the track live.

Baz has absolutely zero chance of delivering a vocal like that. I sure wouldn't like to hear him try.
It's a tremendous vocal by Hugh on the record, has he ever done any other in a similar way? I can't think of one...
I can't imagine anyone at all doing it live though..
I Hate You !
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

aldinblack wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 23:21 It's a tremendous vocal by Hugh on the record, has he ever done any other in a similar way? I can't think of one...
I can't imagine anyone at all doing it live though..
Hugh really was at his peak as a vocalist circa Dreamtime/Wolf, just in terms of the control he had in his voice and what he could do with it. He's still pretty good even now, but back in the late '80s he was on fire in the vocals dept.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Off thread a bit not a bad cover of down in the sewer by a left handed bass player on youtube...Down in the sewer by the inheritors catford studios, see what you think,good bass and some key parts.
Also a great Walzinblack agents of rhythm.....GREAT STUFF! Enjoy!
Plus a weird one watch on youtube a concert recorded by BBC1 west 31 Jan '83 starts with duchess and the second song in they do London lady but comes up on the screen title as London Ladies have a watch the lads on top form.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Been listening to Dave live and peasant it doesn't get better than that track with Hugh on guitar it's in my ultimate setlist,somehow i'd love them to still do this track live for Dave,can't see how though....but what an amazing track one of Baz's favs too i agree...R.I.P Dave.
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by 8088 »

toilerinblack wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 20:58 Been listening to Dave live and peasant it doesn't get better than that track with Hugh on guitar it's in my ultimate setlist,somehow i'd love them to still do this track live for Dave,can't see how though....but what an amazing track one of Baz's favs too i agree...R.I.P Dave.
Technically...they could do it with Jim playing against a click track and trigger samples of Dave's original vocal...be weird though and can't imagine they'd want to.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

8088 wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 21:02
toilerinblack wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 20:58 Been listening to Dave live and peasant it doesn't get better than that track with Hugh on guitar it's in my ultimate setlist,somehow i'd love them to still do this track live for Dave,can't see how though....but what an amazing track one of Baz's favs too i agree...R.I.P Dave.
Technically...they could do it with Jim playing against a click track and trigger samples of Dave's original vocal...be weird though and can't imagine they'd want to.
Yes i think your right they probably wouldn't like you say and i understand that,i was just watching the chemistry between Dave and JJ on stage to this song...electric!
He will be so sadly missed.
Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Cells&Plasma »

toilerinblack wrote:Been listening to Dave live and peasant it doesn't get better than that track with Hugh on guitar it's in my ultimate setlist,somehow i'd love them to still do this track live for Dave,can't see how though....but what an amazing track one of Baz's favs too i agree...R.I.P Dave.
..and why not.... I'm sure Toby could manage a Pheasant..soz I mean Peasant.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Cells&Plasma wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 21:10
toilerinblack wrote:Been listening to Dave live and peasant it doesn't get better than that track with Hugh on guitar it's in my ultimate setlist,somehow i'd love them to still do this track live for Dave,can't see how though....but what an amazing track one of Baz's favs too i agree...R.I.P Dave.
..and why not.... I'm sure Toby could manage a Pheasant..soz I mean Peasant.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
you know what....I'D LOVE IT! for Dave with the fans,now that's what i call a tribute!
I'm Sure Toby's gonna help to fill and will do a fine job he seem's a nice guy and very knowledgeable about Dave for sure and can play very well too,like i say the tour will be hard to do but they will sound fantastic i'm sure.
Palais81
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Palais81 »

toilerinblack wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 23:37 Off thread a bit not a bad cover of down in the sewer by a left handed bass player on youtube...Down in the sewer by the inheritors catford studios, see what you think,good bass and some key parts.
Plus a weird one watch on youtube a concert recorded by BBC1 west 31 Jan '83 starts with duchess and the second song in they do London lady but comes up on the screen title as London Ladies have a watch the lads on top form.
Many thanks Toiler for the 1983 gig. Fantastic footage of the band at their live musical peak. Hugh's voice on Midnight Summer Dream is superb especially the last chorus. What a great version of Genetix as well. Don't remember this on tv at the time but did see them on that tour and they were brilliant at the time partly because the set lists that they chose - and no brass! Thanks again. Made my day.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Palais81 wrote: 03 Nov 2021, 19:34
toilerinblack wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 23:37 Off thread a bit not a bad cover of down in the sewer by a left handed bass player on youtube...Down in the sewer by the inheritors catford studios, see what you think,good bass and some key parts.
Many thanks Toiler for the 1983 gig. Fantastic footage of the band at their live musical peak. Hugh's voice on Midnight Summer Dream is superb especially the last chorus. What a great version of Genetix as well. Don't remember this on tv at the time but did see them on that tour and they were brilliant at the time partly because the set lists that they chose - and no brass! Thanks again. Made my day.
Thanks i'm glad you enjoyed the '83 gig and yes hugh sang incredible vocals on MSD i agree too, MK1 really were something so special i thought it at the time of seeing them live for years all around London but looking back on gigs like the one you have just watched makes me realise JUST how good they were,again glad you enjoyed it.
I'm not sure if you've seen again in '83 on youtube if you haven't....the stranglers live the tube 1983 with kurtis blow intro who raps about the stranglers,the lads belt out three great tracks MSD,Euorpean Female,Who wants the world...you may have already seen it already if not enjoy the lads on top form.