New keyboard player

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Re: New keyboard player

Post by Bear Cage »

toilerinblack wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 21:24 Yep over 40 years ago for me too is it really over 40 years ago lol....Yep
My days have sadly come to an end with the Stranglers on the gig front after decades and decades following but still 40 odd years on i still solidly support them and have really enjoyed DM where Dave i think has gone out on a high for sure.
Agree on DM, and although I expect it to be emotional at my first Stranglers gig without Dave, signs from France are that they’re sounding great (although you can never really tell from videos, you need to be there and experience the performance). So in 2022 I will again see the Stranglers, and if they keep performing to the levels they have been, I will continue doing so.
Last edited by Bear Cage on 16 Dec 2021, 22:07, edited 1 time in total.
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

toilerinblack wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 21:24
Bear Cage wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 21:19
toilerinblack wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 21:13 I think this current line up which have started fantastic out in France with a really good set .
I feel the newer boys in the last ten years which is now 50% of the band are really helping to continue on the sound of the stranglers,i have no complaints on the sound front and i think back in the UK tour time they are going to get such a great reception after such a long time now without playing to their fans....keep supporting the new line up they need positive support and by the looks of things in France especially Toby as Jim's doing fine after nearly ten years now and it's been all very positive for them and i'm guessing they must be very happy with how it's all going and turning out and i bet they can't wait to play again in the UK.
Yep, I first saw The Stranglers over 40 years ago, and the were so fucking good, last time I saw them live was in 2019, and they are still great. Looking forwards to The Stranglers live in 2022, expecting them to still be excellent.
Yep over 40 years ago for me too is it really over 40 years ago lol....Yep
My days have sadly come to an end with the Stranglers on the gig front after decades and decades following them around, but still 40 odd years on i still solidly support them and have really enjoyed DM where Dave i think has gone out on a high for sure.
I haven't even seen the band live without Jet let alone Dave G . Will I see the current version , don't know really .I know it's that or nothing and do I want just memories of what was or see them again as the band's time may be drawing to an end . I really don't know at present , saw them in79 with Hugh and a fair few of that line up , its not like I am "it's not the same blah blah " as I liked all versions I have seen ......barring very late M1 , but that was due to the set rather than the band itself .
All quiet ..........
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Bear Cage wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 21:31
toilerinblack wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 21:24 Yep over 40 years ago for me too is it really over 40 years ago lol....Yep
My days have sadly come to an end with the Stranglers on the gig front after decades and decades following but still 40 odd years on i still solidly support them and have really enjoyed DM where Dave i think has gone out on a high for sure.
Agree on DM, and although I expect it to be emotional at my first Stranglers gig without Dave, signs from France are that they’re sounding great (although you can never really tell from videos, you need to be there and experience the performance). So in 2022 I will again see the Stranglers m, and if they keep performing to the levels they have been, I will continue doing so.
Agreed there and i hope you enjoy the gig to want to still keep on going and beyond.I also agree that to really know just how good you think they are have performed you need to be there for yourself to make a real judgement with all the sound's acoustics around you,there's one a hell of a big difference and i think a fan's review of any gig who was actually there compared to hearing it on the internet is no comparison for sure, the person actually there will give the most accurate account of that gig,even though two fans being at the same gig can give two very different accounts of what's good and what's not, so i feel it's all about one persons individual preferences and dislikes at the end of the day as everybody differs..... that's life.
alaninblack
Rats Rally

Post by alaninblack »

Bear Cage wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 21:31 So in 2022 I will again see the Stranglers, and if they keep performing to the levels they have been, I will continue doing so.
I hope I also get the chance to watch the current line up live, maybe 2023, who knows, but what happens when JJ 'retires" ? I'm sure Baz could find a replacement and get the blessing of JJ and Jet (if he is still kicking) and I'm sure they could perform to a very high standard, but would "we" go and see them, even if they did not use the name "the Stranglers". I think I would out of pure curiosity at least.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 21:13 I think this current line up which have started fantastic out in France with a really good set have been tremendous live again.
I feel the newer boys in the last ten years which is now 50% of the band are really helping to continue on the sound of the stranglers,i have no complaints on the sound front and i think back in the UK tour time they are going to get such a great reception after such a long time now without playing to their fans....keep supporting the new line up they need positive support and by the looks of things in France especially with Toby being the new member as Jim's well settled in after nearly ten years now, it's great that it's been all very positive for them out in France and i'm guessing they must be very happy with how it's all going and turning out and i bet they can't wait to play again in the UK.
Sir yes the band did great on the French tour, even YouTube footage looks impressive and considering its better when your there, so I commend the band and Toby has proved he has big shoes, I'm sure DG is looking down and happy Toby is doing him and the band proud, such a great vibe and energy, and the French audience can't be fooled, they know their music, France the Stranglers stronghold after UK, I think tour will be great next year and they will have the stage production to add to the gigs, not that they need it, as France looked great with the subtle use of lights, bands like Coldplay would have a huge budget but the Stranglers don't and make do with a top notch crew. Lt Kudu.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

alaninblack wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 22:47 but what happens when JJ 'retires" ? I'm sure Baz could find a replacement and get the blessing of JJ...
No No No No No No No.
Fuck No.
It's already a sorry state of affairs as it is, Jesus Christ - no.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

alaninblack wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 22:47
Bear Cage wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 21:31 So in 2022 I will again see the Stranglers, and if they keep performing to the levels they have been, I will continue doing so.
I hope I also get the chance to watch the current line up live, maybe 2023, who knows, but what happens when JJ 'retires" ? I'm sure Baz could find a replacement and get the blessing of JJ and Jet (if he is still kicking) and I'm sure they could perform to a very high standard, but would "we" go and see them, even if they did not use the name "the Stranglers". I think I would out of pure curiosity at least.
God forbid, but JJ in great shape and probably fitter than most people half his age, but I hope when they decide to stop, or anything happens to JJ, that will be it, because we won't want the Dr Feelgood scenario, JJ is last original Strangler standing and is the soul of the band now, he is the RSM. Lt Kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 22:53
toilerinblack wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 21:13 I think this current line up which have started fantastic out in France with a really good set have been tremendous live again.
I feel the newer boys in the last ten years which is now 50% of the band are really helping to continue on the sound of the stranglers,i have no complaints on the sound front and i think back in the UK tour time they are going to get such a great reception after such a long time now without playing to their fans....keep supporting the new line up they need positive support and by the looks of things in France especially with Toby being the new member as Jim's well settled in after nearly ten years now, it's great that it's been all very positive for them out in France and i'm guessing they must be very happy with how it's all going and turning out and i bet they can't wait to play again in the UK.
Sir yes the band did great on the French tour, even YouTube footage looks impressive and considering its better when your there, so I commend the band and Toby has proved he has big shoes, I'm sure DG is looking down and happy Toby is doing him and the band proud, such a great vibe and energy, and the French audience can't be fooled, they know their music, France the Stranglers stronghold after UK, I think tour will be great next year and they will have the stage production to add to the gigs, not that they need it, as France looked great with the subtle use of lights, bands like Coldplay would have a huge budget but the Stranglers don't and make do with a top notch crew. Lt Kudu.
Lets hope with the rules next year that it does go ahead and i hope you can see them again in Reading...Here's hoping.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 22:56
alaninblack wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 22:47
God forbid, but JJ in great shape and probably fitter than most people half his age, but I hope when they decide to stop, or anything happens to JJ, that will be it, because we won't want the Dr Feelgood scenario, JJ is last original Strangler standing and is the soul of the band now, he is the RSM. Lt Kudu.
Yes i agree after JJ i'm sure that will be it talk of some saying a continuation after JJ being the baz warne Stranglers would just be a totally nonsense idea or though of that ever happening, i feel that once jj goes that will be it...No JJ No Stranglers.Again like you say he is now this band's heart and soul for sure,for sure he's looking so fit for a man who's nearly 70,my mate was watching a youtube clip from France who once saw the band in the mid eighties couldn't believe seeing JJ dancing about on stage to Tank and how fit he looked at 69 he was amazed and rightly so.
alaninblack
Rats Rally

Post by alaninblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 22:53 No No No No No No No.
Fuck No.
So that a No from you then Stan ? :)
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

alaninblack wrote: 17 Dec 2021, 00:31
StanInBlack wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 22:53 No No No No No No No.
Fuck No.
So that a No from you then Stan ? :)
It's a no. Of course, they've already proved that absolutely fuck all is sacred by deciding to continue with one original member so this whole idea of "Baz Warne's The Stranglers" will probably become a reality. God forbid, imagine that. To slightly paraphrase Richey Edwards, if you went to one of those shows and shouted a request for "Bear Cage", 50% of the audience would turn 'round.
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

StanInBlack wrote: 17 Dec 2021, 00:50 …if you went to one of those shows …
:smt005 :lol: :smt005 :lol: :smt005
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.