New keyboard player

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Re: New keyboard player

Post by Ruby »

jason wrote: 21 Mar 2023, 21:50 Wasn't Rick Wakeman mentioned as a possibility?
Yes he was.Only on here, though.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

Ruby wrote: 21 Mar 2023, 22:27
jason wrote: 21 Mar 2023, 21:50 Wasn't Rick Wakeman mentioned as a possibility?
Yes he was.Only on here, though.
And Clint Boon on here probably as well!
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

airflamesred wrote: 20 Mar 2023, 08:10
Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 21:04 I’ve read/heard recently that there was some well known keyboard players who were interested in Dave’s job but heard no names mentioned. Anyone know who they were?
Reginald Dixon I heard.
That would have been interesting watching him behind Baz massaging his massive swelling Wurlitzer.
Shame he died in 1985 though, like.
Shush this is serious
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

toilerinblack wrote: 21 Mar 2023, 21:27
Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 21:04 I’ve read/heard recently that there was some well known keyboard players who were interested in Dave’s job but heard no names mentioned. Anyone know who they were?
No but boy did they make the right decision at the end of the day going with a tribute/fan player as it has all worked out very quickly and amazingly well,he's just slotted straight in and got on with it and i for one wouldn't want anyone else than a tribute player like Toby they have.
Yes though I wonder too who the big names names were and I'm sure that many would of liked the chance to join and very successful band with plenty of tour gigs in a year to do as a regular income,but the band did right I think for sure in their choice and the band sound as good as it does because he's in it for me.
Yep the Tobemeister is doing a fine job but still woulda been interesting to know who was after Dave’s job besides him and not the ones rumoured to be on this forum. Sure I read it or heard it somewhere from Stranglers HQ or somewhere. Anyway I don’t think many could fill Dave’s shoes tbh so it might just have been Tobester.
Shush this is serious
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

"the tobemeister"

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

Toby has been doing a great job from day 1, shows how dedicated & professional he is as a musician.

Same with Jim, yes we know there are subtle differences in their playing compared to Jet & Dave, but in essence Stranglers songs are getting played professionally and the overall sound is spot on.

You can never replace the characters of course, and that's what I miss most of all.
Dave was such a loveable bloke and that came through on stage, always smiling and of course the Duchess beer downing ritual. And the odd bum note, occasionally provoking a disapproving look from JJ !
As for Jet, well whenever he took to the stage it always sent shivers down my spine, even towards the end of his career.
What a site it was, watching him install himself behind that drum kit lol.
Happy memories...

Sent from my moto g62 5G using Tapatalk

I Hate You !
Josh
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Josh »

aldinblack wrote: 22 Mar 2023, 10:46 Toby has been doing a great job from day 1, shows how dedicated & professional he is as a musician.

Same with Jim, yes we know there are subtle differences in their playing compared to Jet & Dave, but in essence Stranglers songs are getting played professionally and the overall sound is spot on.

You can never replace the characters of course, and that's what I miss most of all.
Dave was such a loveable bloke and that came through on stage, always smiling and of course the Duchess beer downing ritual. And the odd bum note, occasionally provoking a disapproving look from JJ !
As for Jet, well whenever he took to the stage it always sent shivers down my spine, even towards the end of his career.
What a site it was, watching him install himself behind that drum kit lol.
Happy memories...

Sent from my moto g62 5G using Tapatalk
Hear, hear!
Never say goodbye,
For we'll all be with you someday,
Fond adieus but never say goodbye
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

After now some time in playing keyboards for the band with several tours under his belt I wonder what people think of Toby and how well they think he's done now.
I for one think has totally bypast my expectations of someone having to come in and follow Dave's footsteps after 47 odd years,so credit to him because I don't think many could do that comfortably as if he has been there for years it's quite remarkable and he certainly as enabled them to carry on still with the always high standard that they have had in the past even though there will always ever be one DG.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

toilerinblack wrote: 16 Apr 2023, 10:49 So I thank Toby for his great contributions in helping them to reach that magical 50th formation next year.
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

He's very professional playing Dave's parts perfectly and seems a nice enough chap. What else is there to say?
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

evonx wrote: 16 Apr 2023, 20:47 He's very professional playing Dave's parts perfectly and seems a nice enough chap. What else is there to say?
Yes agreed nothing else to add.Major Kudu.