New keyboard player

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Re: New keyboard player

Post by toilerinblack »

Ruby wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 18:02 I've tried hard to appreciate the video clips and pictures but it's not happening for me.Apart from the obvious sadness of not seeing Dave in position there's also the heartbreaking wrench of seeing the remnants of a once great band.It gives me no pleasure saying this but it does look like a tribute act.With both JJ and Dave it wasn't TOO bad but not now.Why have they allowed it to come to this ? There's no dignity for mine.It's all very well Baz saying "tough, this is the Stranglers in 2021" but he can't tell people how to feel.It's like watching your house burn down and I fail to see how it is a tribute in honour of Dave with someone else in his place.Just my take on things but obviously others see it differently and the venues will be full next year.Best wishes to Toby who is clearly talented and seems a lovely bloke but I think I've seen my last gig.No offence intended, just my own thoughts.
I do understand where your coming from as i've said before after Dave there are no longer live gigs for me to go to,but saying that i still fully support them with all they do.I did find it hard watching Dave's equipment being used still but it's fitting i think there's still a bit of Dave there still and it does allow them to get the same exact sound he created because it's his gear.I thought they sounded good and tight again going only by the tiny clip of device,so on a night that must of been very hard for them to do i say well done .... you done Dave proud.
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

toilerinblack wrote: 29 Nov 2021, 20:47 Good Luck Toby on your first night with the greatest band playing the greatest music....Enjoy & Welcome Aboard!
Well said Sir !
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
Palais81
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Palais81 »

Greatkudu wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 11:32 Just saw a clip of Nuclear Device last night, Toby sounds really good, Dave would be proud. Lt Kudu.
Bruce and Sheila en Francais? Or Papa et Nicole?
Frederik
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Frederik »

Frederik wrote: 28 Nov 2021, 19:52 On stage you have a new keyboardist, who has worked with Dave for a long time, tell us about him.

Yes, Toby was his sidekick, a student of Dave. He knows all his scores. It's a bit of a reincarnation. We rehearsed a lot together, He's made for us.

https://www-larepubliquedespyrenees-fr. ... tr_pto=nui
What's the history of Toby being Dave's sidekick? and studying Dave's work?
Was this a contingency for Dave's health, i.e. would it have got to, similar with Jet, Dave playing 1/2 sets, or a few songs in the middle of a gig?
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

This whole idea that Toby was Dave's "sidekick" is about as believable as the whole "Jet mentored Jim" stuff. It's clearly a bit of spin put together by the band and their management to make the change of personnel easier to swallow for the fanbase and in the case of "Jet mentored Jim" it worked to a degree.
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

I took the 'sidekick' to be an error in translation although it then says he worked with Dave for a long time so who knows,
Let's Boogie
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

"Jet mentored Jim" it worked to a degree
I think they meant Ian with that. JJ called him Jet's dauphine I remember.

Jim, I don't suppose he needed much mentoring although him and JB probably discussed how JB played certain patterns or rolls. Just like colleagues/ fellow musicians always do.
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

Frederik wrote: 01 Dec 2021, 00:04
What's the history of Toby being Dave's sidekick?
I think it may be another JJ exaggeration.Listeing to the recent radio interview with Baz he says "we found this lovely bloke" or something like that.Didn't speak of him as someone familiar.You have to get the story straight if the two leads are doing seperate interviews.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Toby also didn't mention it in his Dave tribute video.

Jim
Ruby wrote: 01 Dec 2021, 11:44
What's the history of Toby being Dave's sidekick?
I think it may be another JJ exaggeration.Listeing to the recent radio interview with Baz he says "we found this lovely bloke" or something like that.Didn't speak of him as someone familiar.You have to get the story straight if the two leads are doing seperate interviews.
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

I think you are all reading to much in to JJs comments, he says a lot of random stuff, always has, so don't take it so seriously.Lt Kudu. :smt005
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

Greatkudu wrote: 01 Dec 2021, 12:18 I think you are all reading to much in to JJs comments, he says a lot of random stuff, always has, so don't take it so seriously.
Not fussed myself, I just responded to a question from Frederik.
Mart
Rats Rally

Post by Mart »

Frederik wrote: 28 Nov 2021, 19:52 On stage you have a new keyboardist, who has worked with Dave for a long time, tell us about him.

Yes, Toby was his sidekick, a student of Dave. He knows all his scores. It's a bit of a reincarnation. We rehearsed a lot together, He's made for us.

https://www-larepubliquedespyrenees-fr. ... tr_pto=nui
What's the history of Toby being Dave's sidekick? and studying Dave's work?
Was this a contingency for Dave's health, i.e. would it have got to, similar with Jet, Dave playing 1/2 sets, or a few songs in the middle of a gig?
I think Daves health may have been a contributory factor in the decision to stop full tours, who knows what will happen now
When i rest my weary head after all my words are said