New keyboard player

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: New keyboard player

Post by StanInBlack »

Bear Cage wrote: 19 Nov 2021, 10:47 It is different band, having replaced 25% of the Mk1 line up, however the other 75% were still there, so clearly not totally different.
Even with JJ, Jet and Dave still in the band, I see MKII as a very different band to MKI. The chemistry of the band had noticeably changed.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

StanInBlack wrote: 19 Nov 2021, 10:58
Bear Cage wrote: 19 Nov 2021, 10:47 It is different band, having replaced 25% of the Mk1 line up, however the other 75% were still there, so clearly not totally different.
Even with JJ, Jet and Dave still in the band, I see MKII as a very different band to MKI. The chemistry of the band had noticeably changed.
Well thats something we can all agree on, as Dave said it was the four people that were the Stranglers initially and of course the dynamic and chemistry changed after Hugh left, I don't know how anyone could disagree with that, it's just fact. Lt Kudu.
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by 8088 »

Greatkudu wrote: 19 Nov 2021, 11:27 Well thats something we can all agree on, as Dave said it was the four people that were the Stranglers initially and of course the dynamic and chemistry changed after Hugh left, I don't know how anyone could disagree with that, it's just fact. Lt Kudu.
Exactly. The Stranglers ended when Hugh left - a Stranglers with caveats carried on - I don't have a problem with that and treat them both differently.

The Stranglers without Hugh are Apple without Steve Jobs - the brand name is there but the spirit is very different.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

8088 wrote: 19 Nov 2021, 11:35
Greatkudu wrote: 19 Nov 2021, 11:27 Well thats something we can all agree on, as Dave said it was the four people that were the Stranglers initially and of course the dynamic and chemistry changed after Hugh left, I don't know how anyone could disagree with that, it's just fact. Lt Kudu.
Exactly. The Stranglers ended when Hugh left - a Stranglers with caveats carried on - I don't have a problem with that and treat them both differently.

The Stranglers without Hugh are Apple without Steve Jobs - the brand name is there but the spirit is very different.
Sir of course, and of course now it will be hard for some to accept the band with just JJ as original, but Baz has earned his stripes and so has Jim Mac, I understand peoples views about wishing they would pack it in, and maybe they will in a few years, as I keep on saying they may complete the dates and decide it doesn't feel right without Dave, of course its a business to as Baz has said, I will see what I think of the first gig without Dave and put an honest review on here, I'm know quite a few people on here will be attending the French dates so you have different points of view thank Fuck, but I only support for Bobby G :smt005 sorry Toby, so let's wait and see, I imagine the whole band will be rusty, so this first gig will be rather interesting, and yes I will be a child and wear all black or maybe my blue blazer? Not. Lt ensign Kudu, wearing Purple Helmets T shirt with stains(wear stains) :smt005
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

Apple without Steve Jobs - the brand name is there but the spirit is very different
Still way too expensive 8)
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 19 Nov 2021, 11:27
Well thats something we can all agree on, as Dave said it was the four people that were the Stranglers initially and of course the dynamic and chemistry changed after Hugh left, I don't know how anyone could disagree with that, it's just fact. Lt Kudu.
Fact to those who believe that too.
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

Yes very different, just not totally different.

I also think the Stranglers that produced their first albums was very different to the band responsible for Dreamtime and 10. People change, relationships change, line-ups change, etc,. However, EVERY Stranglers line-up has given me pleasure through playing great concerts and making great albums (even if occasionally one is not so great).
We now have a new Stranglers, which I’m really looking forward to seeing live, whilst also expecting it to be sad and emotional. Excited because it’s a chance to see a band I love again, sad because for the first time in over 40 years of seeing them play, Dave will not be there.
Going onwards I hope they also have a go at some new material, a new line-up, a different sound (because it can never be the same again without Dave), but still The Stranglers.
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

True, because there's...... No Hugh.
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

anyway.... on topic... it's Toby innit? :grin:
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

evonx wrote: 21 Nov 2021, 22:22 anyway.... on topic... it's Toby innit? :grin:
Well, put it this way... I'd be very surprised if it was anyone else :lol:
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

I think we all know that The Stranglers for the tour will be JJ, Baz, Jim and Toby, what we don’t know, and I don’t think the band know yet, is what comes afterwards:
Will they carry on? (Maybe).
If so, will that be with Toby? (probably a question for both sides that will be asked/answered after the tour)
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
alaninblack
Rats Rally

Post by alaninblack »

alaninblack wrote: 18 Nov 2021, 11:04 I seem to remember reading about Jet "quitting" the Stranglers at one point and from memory a Japanese Drummer taking his place live ( or something like that ).
Quoting myself, I came across the article in question, when Jet quit, is there any truth in this at all ? I dont think so, as the live album in the quote is the Ally Pally gig

"A new album, Stranglers in the Night, appeared that fall, together with the minor hit "Heaven or Hell"; by year’s end, however, drummer Jet Black, too, had departed. He was replaced by Tikabe Tobe and, in this form, the group recorded yet another live album, Saturday Night Sunday Morning, before Black returned for 1995’s About Time."

https://strenglers.wordpress.com/2019/0 ... 1974-1998/