New keyboard player

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Re: New keyboard player

Post by Bear Cage »

alaninblack wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 03:53
alaninblack wrote: 18 Nov 2021, 11:04 I seem to remember reading about Jet "quitting" the Stranglers at one point and from memory a Japanese Drummer taking his place live ( or something like that ).
Quoting myself, I came across the article in question, when Jet quit, is there any truth in this at all ? I dont think so, as the live album in the quote is the Ally Pally gig

"A new album, Stranglers in the Night, appeared that fall, together with the minor hit "Heaven or Hell"; by year’s end, however, drummer Jet Black, too, had departed. He was replaced by Tikabe Tobe and, in this form, the group recorded yet another live album, Saturday Night Sunday Morning, before Black returned for 1995’s About Time."

https://strenglers.wordpress.com/2019/0 ... 1974-1998/
Article also lists Paul Ellis as replacing Hugh on vocals
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

alaninblack wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 03:53 Quoting myself, I came across the article in question, when Jet quit, is there any truth in this at all ? I dont think so, as the live album in the quote is the Ally Pally gig

"A new album, Stranglers in the Night, appeared that fall, together with the minor hit "Heaven or Hell"; by year’s end, however, drummer Jet Black, too, had departed."

I've seen that somewhere as well, perhaps in a magazine or book. I don't recall it ever being mentioned at the time. Maybe wherever I saw it got it from this site, or maybe the other way around.
alaninblack wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 03:53 "He was replaced by Tikabe Tobe and, in this form, the group recorded yet another live album, Saturday Night Sunday Morning, before Black returned for 1995’s About Time."
No, this bit isn't true. According to the sleeve (I haven't listened to it to check), "Saturday Night Sunday Morning" is the CD of Hugh's last gig at Alexandra Palace, which (unless they did some very creative work on the video) clearly has Jet playing on it.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

droopsnoot wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 10:25
alaninblack wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 03:53 Quoting myself, I came across the article in question, when Jet quit, is there any truth in this at all ? I dont think so, as the live album in the quote is the Ally Pally gig

"A new album, Stranglers in the Night, appeared that fall, together with the minor hit "Heaven or Hell"; by year’s end, however, drummer Jet Black, too, had departed."

I've seen that somewhere as well, perhaps in a magazine or book. I don't recall it ever being mentioned at the time. Maybe wherever I saw it got it from this site, or maybe the other way around.
alaninblack wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 03:53 "He was replaced by Tikabe Tobe and, in this form, the group recorded yet another live album, Saturday Night Sunday Morning, before Black returned for 1995’s About Time."
No, this bit isn't true. According to the sleeve (I haven't listened to it to check), "Saturday Night Sunday Morning" is the CD of Hugh's last gig at Alexandra Palace, which (unless they did some very creative work on the video) clearly has Jet playing on it.
I recognise that quote, I think it's from the Great Rock Discography from back when books were the main references for everything...
Needless to say, the guy just dropped the ball on this one. Tikake Tobe just took over the one tour or whatever as referenced earlier in the thread.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

parasiteinblack wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 20:19

I recognise that quote, I think it's from the Great Rock Discography from back when books were the main references for everything...
Needless to say, the guy just dropped the ball on this one. Tikake Tobe just took over the one tour or whatever as referenced earlier in the thread.
It annoys me when people put wrong info, JJ said the Stranglers have had 8 stand in drummers due to Jets health, Jet was very ill as a child, but he is the great survivor and its great to know JJ is in regular contact. Lt Kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 21:58

It annoys me when people put wrong info, JJ said the Stranglers have had 8 stand in drummers due to Jets health, Jet was very ill as a child, but he is the great survivor and its great to know JJ is in regular contact. Lt Kudu.
Yeah we all hope good health will continue on for Jet the great founder survivor.
Anyway whoever is taking over for Dave as the new player which looks like it will be revealed on stage after Waltzinblack which i once made a joke about happening but now looks like reality,whoever he or she is it will be on a difficult night being the first time live for the band to an audience without Dave and the first night for the new player too which i feel will go down a storm,the player chosen will slot in to fill and complete that fantastic stranglers sound live again with still our thought's of Dave very much on our minds too on this tribute night.
Good Luck to each member the FamilyinBlack are behind you as always.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 28 Nov 2021, 19:58, edited 1 time in total.
Palais81
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Palais81 »

I am not a drummer but have played with a few. Jet's sound is unique. There is so much space in his sound perhaps is subtlety in the snare drum. What great snare rolls, perfection in time providing just the right accompaniment to the songs. Cozy Powell was again a great snare roller but much louder.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Palais81 wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 19:07 I am not a drummer but have played with a few. Jet's sound is unique. There is so much space in his sound perhaps is subtlety in the snare drum. What great snare rolls, perfection in time providing just the right accompaniment to the songs. Cozy Powell was again a great snare roller but much louder.
True,Jet's invaluable experiance having been a jazz drummer in the past sure as hell as help map out his unique quality and skills,yes what a drummer Cozy was i enjoyed listening to his skills back in the day...great drummer!
Still my fav drummer away from the stranglers has to be Glem to me he just my drumming look cool,that's why loved it so much him playing with Hugh that just made his gigs sound better too with Hugh saying he's the loudest drummer i've ever played with.He is the heart of Blondie and they just wouldn't of been the band they are without him for sure,he is Blondie's sound like Dave gave to the Stranglers,just goes to show how important just one members contribution can have on that band's overall sound that will give them success or not.Glem plays in GBBB a Blondie tribute band as well who are brilliant there really are some great tribute bands about in general.
Frederik
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Frederik »

On stage you have a new keyboardist, who has worked with Dave for a long time, tell us about him.

Yes, Toby was his sidekick, a student of Dave. He knows all his scores. It's a bit of a reincarnation. We rehearsed a lot together, He's made for us.

https://www-larepubliquedespyrenees-fr. ... tr_pto=nui
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

toilerinblack wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 18:30
Greatkudu wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 21:58

Good luck to the new player and every member of the band for their first night.
Lafleur
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Lafleur »

Frederik wrote: 28 Nov 2021, 19:52 On stage you have a new keyboardist, who has worked with Dave for a long time, tell us about him.

Yes, Toby was his sidekick, a student of Dave. He knows all his scores. It's a bit of a reincarnation. We rehearsed a lot together, He's made for us.

https://www-larepubliquedespyrenees-fr. ... tr_pto=nui
Thank you. Now we know for sure, it's Tobias Hounsham.
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

Yes it's Toby :grin:
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

Don’t you just hate lazy “journalism” riddled with cliches;

The famous punk-rock group finished the album, with tributes to their keyboardist (whose style resembled that of Ray Manzarek of The Doors)