New keyboard player

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Re: New keyboard player

Post by toilerinblack »

theraven1979 wrote: 06 Dec 2021, 23:33 To be fair to the band and to add some well needed balance here people have been enjoying these gigs. I also think this set of dates are a bit of a warm up to the UK tour.

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
I think you've said it about right Jim people have enjoyed the gigs and that's a praise to the band for doing their job well in the first place i always say if on the whole people have enjoyed their ticket money's worth and had a great night on the whole.I think that when the time comes next year in the uk it will be better even though alot of what they have played couldn't get much better like Go Buddy go and Tank was some of their best versions post Hugh the energy and pace was electric.The set might get changed about i think in the Uk, Toby will really start to settle in even though he's done amazing on his first tour as a new member i think,so in general with time things can only get better not that i've any complaints really in the first place except i wouldn't have done the lines.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 06 Dec 2021, 23:29
Greatkudu wrote: 06 Dec 2021, 23:26 Just saw the Walk on By video, Toby does a good job, of course not as good as Dave but good, I'm sorry to say the weak point is the drumming in this one, very lethargic and no subtley, the drums sound terrible to, Tom's sound like cardboard, again I could play it better I think? Jim get some slightly lighter sticks? Not impressed but I like his drumming on White Stallion. Lt Kudu.
Each to their own your the drummer i'm not lol so did he play the same sticks on White Stallion that did sound ok? his wickhurst sticks isn't it?
Sir im being picky, he just leaves out so many little rolls, the problem is his kit configuration as he only has one mounted Tom and two floor Tom's, so it sounds a bit disjointed when he goes from mounted Tom to floor Tom, my kit is a Jet Black copy ie 13 and 14 mounted Tom's and 16 floor plus the shells are Promuco over 30 years old, the same ones Jet used from about 1980 to 1985,they are Beech Shells and have great resonance. Lt Kudu.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

theraven1979 wrote: 06 Dec 2021, 23:33 To be fair to the band and to add some well needed balance here people have been enjoying these gigs. I also think this set of dates are a bit of a warm up to the UK tour.

Jim

Yes your right, people have been enjoying the gigs, but we expect such high standards, when they fall short we are or some are like me being hyper critical especially the drumming, I know every beat Jet did, but Jim is a different drummer obviously and hits them hard but sometimes at the expense of sublety, but of course Jet came from a Jazz background. Lt Kudu.
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

StanInBlack wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4ZHu7RpOzo

Oh my fucking word, this is awful.

What the fuck is Baz doing during this solo? So much preening and gurning and giving off the vibe that he thinks he's god's gift to music.
Ok so it's clear you just don't like Baz, fair enough there is a certain amount of posturing going on but so what he's enjoying the moment possibly getting a bit carried away / acting out a bit to the crowd. Maybe he just needs to chill out a bit but there are no errors on that solo at all and he could play it in his sleep.
I Hate You !
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

Greatkudu wrote:

Jim

Yes your right, people have been enjoying the gigs, but we expect such high standards, when they fall short we are or some are like me being hyper critical especially the drumming, I know every beat Jet did, but Jim is a different drummer obviously and hits them hard but sometimes at the expense of sublety, but of course Jet came from a Jazz background. Lt Kudu.
I just can't see anyone "falling short" on that vid at all.

What I see are musicians that are different to the original ones, so yeah they don't play it the same. Eg as you say with Jim you might get more power but miss out on some finer detail. You could compare each of their playing with each original member, and of course you'll be missing something, and getting other things instead..

I Hate You !
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

aldinblack wrote: 07 Dec 2021, 00:24 What I see are musicians that are different to the original ones, so yeah they don't play it the same.
...and therefore the end result doesn't resemble The Stranglers. An attempt at a forgery of The Stranglers' sound while not coming close to the real deal.
aldinblack wrote: 07 Dec 2021, 00:06 Ok so it's clear you just don't like Baz
That's... not quite right. There's several issues I have with that rendition of "Walk On By" as it happens...
alaninblack
Rats Rally

Post by alaninblack »

What I do notice with the WOB link is that the poster "Tracevector" is back again in the comments, I'm surprised their alto egos "The Kiss of Venus" and "Asphalt World" haven't also replied / commented. 3 accounts setup on exactly the same day (1st Dec) with similar comments to all the latest uploaded YouTube vids. Go figure. I'm not paranoid .. I'm not seriously.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

alaninblack wrote: 07 Dec 2021, 01:15 What I do notice with the WOB link is that the poster "Tracevector" is back again in the comments, I'm surprised their alto egos "The Kiss of Venus" and "Asphalt World" haven't also replied / commented. 3 accounts setup on exactly the same day (1st Dec) with similar comments to all the latest uploaded YouTube vids. Go figure. I'm not paranoid .. I'm not seriously.
Why do you care so much about what gets posted in Youtube comments sections? I sure as hell don't. Anyone who has ever merely glanced at a Youtube comments section realises that it's pointless even getting hot and bothered about it.
alaninblack
Rats Rally

Post by alaninblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 07 Dec 2021, 01:29
alaninblack wrote: 07 Dec 2021, 01:15 What I do notice with the WOB link is that the poster "Tracevector" is back again in the comments, I'm surprised their alto egos "The Kiss of Venus" and "Asphalt World" haven't also replied / commented. 3 accounts setup on exactly the same day (1st Dec) with similar comments to all the latest uploaded YouTube vids. Go figure. I'm not paranoid .. I'm not seriously.
Why do you care so much about what gets posted in Youtube comments sections? I sure as hell don't. Anyone who has ever merely glanced at a Youtube comments section realises that it's pointless even getting hot and bothered about it.
I don't really, I just noticed the accounts being created the other day to make specific comments and answer each other, then I've noticed more with very similar comments again created on the same day. If I was a betting man, I would say they are all the same person. That's as far is it goes.
alaninblack
Rats Rally

Post by alaninblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 06 Dec 2021, 23:26 Just saw the Walk on By video, Toby does a good job, of course not as good as Dave but good,
Yes, I just compared Toby with this vid, and I believe this is the same equipment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vppipzdyVfQ

You can see how much Dave is enjoying himself, to be fair, so is Toby, side by side Toby does a good job, not exactly the same, but still good.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

alaninblack wrote: 07 Dec 2021, 01:33
StanInBlack wrote: 07 Dec 2021, 01:29 Why do you care so much about what gets posted in Youtube comments sections? I sure as hell don't. Anyone who has ever merely glanced at a Youtube comments section realises that it's pointless even getting hot and bothered about it.
I don't really, I just noticed the accounts being created the other day to make specific comments and answer each other, then I've noticed more with very similar comments again created on the same day. If I was a betting man, I would say they are all the same person. That's as far is it goes.
Hmm, I dunno. It seems to me like you wouldn't have brought it up in the first place if you didn't care about it. I wouldn't read too much into it as a person can have a gmail e-mail address for years and even log into Youtube with it without needing to create a channel, but you obviously need to create a channel in order to make a comment. I should know, because I use gmail and log into Youtube with it and yet because I haven't created a channel with it, I can't make any comments on any videos... and I don't particularly want to either, as I find Youtube comments sections utterly mind numbing. I was reading recently that Youtube had done away with the "dislike" counter on their videos, perhaps they should do away with comments sections as well. As for you, perhaps you should just accept that some people may not like what The Stranglers have become.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

toilerinblack wrote: 06 Dec 2021, 23:40 i wouldn't have done the lines
Well, every day's a learning experience :lol: