New keyboard player

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: New keyboard player

Post by theraven1979 »

I only saw them once without Jet and it didn't really hit the spot for me I'm afraid. Now without Dave it seems like a different world entirely.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 23:52
Greatkudu wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 22:56
alaninblack wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 22:47

I hope I also get the chance to watch the current line up live, maybe 2023, who knows, but what happens when JJ 'retires" ? I'm sure Baz could find a replacement and get the blessing of JJ and Jet (if he is still kicking) and I'm sure they could perform to a very high standard, but would "we" go and see them, even if they did not use the name "the Stranglers". I think I would out of pure curiosity at least.
God forbid, but JJ in great shape and probably fitter than most people half his age, but I hope when they decide to stop, or anything happens to JJ, that will be it, because we won't want the Dr Feelgood scenario, JJ is last original Strangler standing and is the soul of the band now, he is the RSM. Lt Kudu.
Yes i agree after JJ i'm sure that will be it talk of some saying a continuation after JJ being the baz warne Stranglers would just be a totally nonsense idea or though of that ever happening, i feel that once jj goes that will be it...No JJ No Stranglers.Again like you say he is now this band's heart and soul for sure,for sure he's looking so fit for a man who's nearly 70,my mate was watching a youtube clip from France who once saw the band in the mid eighties couldn't believe seeing JJ dancing about on stage to Tank and how fit he looked at 69 he was amazed and rightly so.
Yes JJ looks fucking amazing, he looks in amazing shape, and hes not afraid to have fun with the JJ White Stallion gig, I have done some odd dancing a few times, the most memorable was in a nightclub in Mombasa in Kenya, after 3 bottles of wine, I became the punk John Travolta and people ran for cover as I owned the tiny dance floor, I went crazy dancing to the Walk of Life by Dire Straits, then I shadow boxed with the cook, then one of my fellow travellers a retired nurse in her 60s did dirty dancing with a working Girl and I don't mean a waitress if you get my drift, I promise all this is true, and possibly the craziest most surreal night of my life, if I ever hear the Walk of life and I've had wine I would replicate it, sorry to go off thread but if JJ did what I did live he would be slagged big time but I love the JJ White Stallion Jig and love the song. Lt Kudu wishing i was in Mombasa. :smt005
ricam
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by ricam »

theraven1979 wrote:I only saw them once without Jet and it didn't really hit the spot for me I'm afraid. Now without Dave it seems like a different world entirely.

Jim
Agree with the jet point.

But..I still loved the gigs post jet and went every year.

On balance it was still better to go than not to go.

I'll still go to the new gigs simply because I rate the new album and want to hear some of the tracks live.

I can't say how much I will enjoy the new gigs until I have been and seen them live.

I'm pretty confident it will still be a great gig/night out.

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk

droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

Greatkudu wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 20:28 Doctors dont want to do out of hours home visits now, as they say they don't get paid enough? Really thought It wasn't all about the money?
Do you know many people who do a day's work, and then are happy to spend their evenings and weekends doing more of that work for free? I don't know many that will, and they're all self-employed or in small businesses, not public sector employees. I know there's a bit more to being a doctor than just calling them "employees", but my point is that they're not fighting to attract customers in the same way that the plumber who works weekends is.
ricam wrote: 17 Dec 2021, 09:59 I can't say how much I will enjoy the new gigs until I have been and seen them live.
That's my basis for going, too. Audience-filmed shaky footage doesn't tell me enough, so I'll see for myself. As for any future line-up changes, I'll probably want to judge that for myself, too, rather than write them off without giving them a chance.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

droopsnoot wrote: 17 Dec 2021, 10:08
Greatkudu wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 20:28 Doctors dont want to do out of hours home visits now, as they say they don't get paid enough? Really thought It wasn't all about the money?
Do you know many people who do a day's work, and then are happy to spend their evenings and weekends doing more of that work for free? I don't know many that will, and they're all self-employed or in small businesses, not public sector employees. I know there's a bit more to being a doctor than just calling them "employees", but my point is that they're not fighting to attract customers in the same way that the plumber who works weekends is.
ricam wrote: 17 Dec 2021, 09:59 I can't say how much I will enjoy the new gigs until I have been and seen them live.
That's my basis for going, too. Audience-filmed shaky footage doesn't tell me enough, so I'll see for myself. As for any future line-up changes, I'll probably want to judge that for myself, too, rather than write them off without giving them a chance.
Sir I'm not going to debate about Doctors, but as a full time carer, I have seen how the out of hours service not happening is detrimental to vulnerable peoples health, so I will end it there, respect to them but the NHS is not working at the moment, it is badly managed and has huge wastage etc. Back on track Toby the hero of the French tour for filling huge shoes of the legend DG. Lt Kudu.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

You don't need shaky footage to know what the current lineup is. It's down to personal choice if you wanna go then great enjoy it but for me (and a few others) this version of The Stranglers has been distilled down over the years to be a weaker variant (sorry!) of it's former self. Stan despite being incredibly direct and to the point (unpalatable to some) does raise a good point it is "JJ and friends"

Jim
droopsnoot wrote: 17 Dec 2021, 10:08 That's my basis for going, too. Audience-filmed shaky footage doesn't tell me enough, so I'll see for myself. As for any future line-up changes, I'll probably want to judge that for myself, too, rather than write them off without giving them a chance.
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

Greatkudu wrote: 17 Dec 2021, 10:19 it is badly managed and has huge wastage etc.
I doubt anyone could argue with that. But as you say, not the place for it and not a discussion I want to get further into.
theraven1979 wrote: 17 Dec 2021, 10:39 You don't need shaky footage to know what the current lineup is.
I wasn't really referring to who is in the band, I can see that, it's more about whether I enjoy the performance. I bought the tickets before the most recent forced line-up change, but I don't feel the need to give up yet. If I don't enjoy it, then maybe I won't go again.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Well personally even with shaky fucktube footage, sorry for the swearing, Iook forward to next year, it's really a personal choice, as long as JJ is there it's still the Stranglers for me and Baz and Jim have earned their right to be called Stranglers. Lt Kudu.
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

theraven1979 wrote: 17 Dec 2021, 09:44 I only saw them once without Jet and it didn't really hit the spot for me I'm afraid. Now without Dave it seems like a different world entirely.

Jim
Hugh is missed
Jet is missed
Dave will be missed (for me even more so)

But:
JJ is still going strong
Baz is great, as is Jim
Toby looks like he’s going to be good

So I will go at least once more, and make my mind up after that (you can’t really tell what a live band are like without being there), but think if The Stranglers are still playing like they have been, I will keep going to see them.
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

theraven1979 wrote: 17 Dec 2021, 10:39 You don't need shaky footage to know what the current lineup is. It's down to personal choice if you wanna go then great enjoy it but for me (and a few others) this version of The Stranglers has been distilled down over the years to be a weaker variant (sorry!) of it's former self. Stan despite being incredibly direct and to the point (unpalatable to some) does raise a good point it is "JJ and friends"

Jim
droopsnoot wrote: 17 Dec 2021, 10:08 That's my basis for going, too. Audience-filmed shaky footage doesn't tell me enough, so I'll see for myself. As for any future line-up changes, I'll probably want to judge that for myself, too, rather than write them off without giving them a chance.
I disagree Jim
The Stranglers now (on record or live) are not as good as MkI at their best (but who is). However they are consistently better than MkI at their worst, so they do not distill or weaken, the add and enrich.
And as Droopsnoot observes, you can’t really judge a live band without actually experiencing a gig
An example from my personal experience would be Magazine, on record the stuff with McGeoch stands out above the rest. I have seen Magazine live (post McGeoch) and I’ve seen John McGeoch live (outside of Magazine), but I didn’t see them when he was with them, so it is impossible for me to properly compare. Therefore for me to dismiss out of hand later line ups live in comparison to an earlier line-up I didn’t see, to then try to insult/mock those who disagreed with me, or refer to the the later line-up as ‘Howard and Friends’ (after all he was the only original member of their final line-up) would be disingenuous at best, especially if it was in the context of Magazine forum where it would also be disrespectful to other forum members, and from a credibility point of view, laughable.
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Taking 3 members away from the original 4 does not dilute The Stranglers?! That's a bit of an insult to Dave, Jet and Hugh tbh.

Jim
Bear Cage wrote: 17 Dec 2021, 12:54
theraven1979 wrote: 17 Dec 2021, 10:39 You don't need shaky footage to know what the current lineup is. It's down to personal choice if you wanna go then great enjoy it but for me (and a few others) this version of The Stranglers has been distilled down over the years to be a weaker variant (sorry!) of it's former self. Stan despite being incredibly direct and to the point (unpalatable to some) does raise a good point it is "JJ and friends"

Jim
I disagree Jim
The Stranglers now (on record or live) are not as good as MkI at their best (but who is). However they are consistently better than MkI at their worst, so they do not distill or weaken, the add and enrich.
And as Droopsnoot observes, you can’t really judge a live band without actually experiencing a gig
An example from my personal experience would be Magazine, on record the stuff with McGeoch stands out above the rest. I have seen Magazine live (post McGeoch) and I’ve seen John McGeoch live (outside of Magazine), but I didn’t see them when he was with them, so it is impossible for me to properly compare. Therefore for me to dismiss out of hand later line ups live in comparison to an earlier line-up I didn’t see, to then try to insult/mock those who disagreed with me, or refer to the the later line-up as ‘Howard and Friends’ (after all he was the only original member of their final line-up) would be disingenuous at best, especially if it was in the context of Magazine forum where it would also be disrespectful to other forum members, and from a credibility point of view, laughable.
Palais81
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Palais81 »

Videos on phones and generally most live recordings do not capture the sound, feeling and importantly the audience emotion of actually being at a gig. This truism becomes more so, the larger the gig (where the instruments sound so different to any recordings.
This is why I love live music and therefore I am not keen on looking at/listening to much live footage even on the gigs I have been to- it usually spoils the memories. 40 years of seeing them live and it continues. Aren't I a lucky?