Dark Matters - Extra Tracks

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Dark Matters - Extra Tracks

Post by evonx »

toilerinblack wrote: ↑baz is closer to Hugh's than Paul was for me anyway
Baz's vocal "talents" are nowhere near Hugh's, and definitely nowhere near Paul's. Don't be daft.
Paul a better singer YES but his vocals never suited the stranglers
Listen to the Norfolk Coast cd, and live recordings like 5 Live 01 and the Milton Keynes gig mentioned above and say that again. Bollocks.
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

As for Toiler live, the worst lacklustre version was with Hugh on that final gig, the Saturday Night Sunday Morning cd. One of my all time faves sounds dead there.
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

evonx wrote: ↑05 Oct 2021, 21:39 As for Toiler live, the worst lacklustre version was with Hugh on that final gig, the Saturday Night Sunday Morning cd. One of my all time faves sounds dead there.
Well i was at the ally gig Hugh's final gig which started with JJ in the fog nothing wrong with that version i didn't like the JE bits it wasn't needed but Hugh was i think on top form at that gig,he also sang i think the best Hanging Around iv'e heard live from them ever.We all think different maybe for me it's the vocals not the music that couldn't be replaced and i found his vocals impossible for anybody to sound half as good again.But this band who over the 47 years have been so different in about four different stages it's as simple as that some will like the stages and some won't,but this band now i think have in their own right become really good again who are producing great songs again and credit to them.There will always be difference of opinions i mean most think WIR is crap i think alot of that albums tracks are brilliant and i play them alot,so it's all swings and roundabouts to what people like and dislike at the end of the day.
stuartinblack
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by stuartinblack »

The song is Hughs get that nothing will ever beat the original version just stating for me Dave keyboards on that live version is sublime which makes it for me better than all live version πŸ˜€
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: ↑05 Oct 2021, 23:24
evonx wrote: ↑05 Oct 2021, 21:39 As for Toiler live, the worst lacklustre version was with Hugh on that final gig, the Saturday Night Sunday Morning cd. One of my all time faves sounds dead there.
Well i was at the ally gig Hugh's final gig which started with JJ in the fog nothing wrong with that version i didn't like the JE bits it wasn't needed but Hugh was i think on top form at that gig,he also sang i think the best Hanging Around iv'e heard live from them ever.We all think different maybe for me it's the vocals not the music that couldn't be replaced and i found his vocals impossible for anybody to sound half as good again.But this band who over the 47 years have been so different in about four different stages it's as simple as that some will like the stages and some won't,but this band now i think have in their own right become really good again who are producing great songs again and credit to them.There will always be difference of opinions i mean most think WIR is crap i think alot of that albums tracks are brilliant and i play them alot,so it's all swings and roundabouts to what people like and dislike at the end of the day.
Sir let me defend you, not that you need it, its a forum not a shidokan Tournament, the Toiler at Ally Palley seemed great at the gig, I was their, but seems terrible on the CD recording, and Baz may not be as good a singer as Paul but his vocal tone suits the Stranglers better than Paul, Paul's tone to deep for the songs and he ruined most of them IMHO, and as for Toiler he killed that for me, he shouted the chorus sometimes, totally ruined all the Sublety, and it was so much better when they went back to a four piece. Lt Kudu.
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

Greatkudu wrote: ↑06 Oct 2021, 09:55
Sir let me defend you, not that you need it, its a forum not a shidokan Tournament, the Toiler at Ally Palley seemed great at the gig, I was their, but seems terrible on the CD recording, and Baz may not be as good a singer as Paul but his vocal tone suits the Stranglers better than Paul, Paul's tone to deep for the songs and he ruined most of them IMHO, and as for Toiler he killed that for me, he shouted the chorus sometimes, totally ruined all the Sublety, and it was so much better when they went back to a four piece. Lt Kudu.
Looks like we were all there , I was too and I did find the performance , more so body language maybe , lacklustre.....the songs were played perfectly well but I felt there was no energy there , just a band playing going through the motions . Maybe for Hugh it was different if he had decided he wanted to be elsewhere , it wasn't a bad performance , they were too good to do that , it was just lacklustre .I didn't like the 10 album so when a fair few of those were played , plus the general lack of energy with classic songs it made for me a poor performance. If you listen to the songs without watching , cd for example , it sounds great , but watching is something else , a few people who didn't want to be together .
All quiet ..........
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Jon the Impaler wrote: ↑06 Oct 2021, 10:50
Looks like we were all there , I was too and I did find the performance , more so body language maybe , lacklustre.....the songs were played perfectly well but I felt there was no energy there , just a band playing going through the motions . Maybe for Hugh it was different if he had decided he wanted to be elsewhere , it wasn't a bad performance , they were too good to do that , it was just lacklustre .I didn't like the 10 album so when a fair few of those were played , plus the general lack of energy with classic songs it made for me a poor performance. If you listen to the songs without watching , cd for example , it sounds great , but watching is something else , a few people who didn't want to be together .
The gig at the time was great to be honest, but I remember asking Hugh to sign the CD of the gig in 1993,and he said, crap isn't it? So all this garbage that Hugh said about leaving on a high was nonsense, I'm sure Hugh but all his efforts in to the gig, but you can hear how lacklustre the gig was even by the audio recording, Jet even seems to be going through the motions.Lt Kudu
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Yeah, the Ally Pally gig was far from MKI's finest moment in general!
lostinpaddington
Down In The Sewer

Post by lostinpaddington »

Was there too - The Godfathers were really good!! Toiler was one of the better tracks - thought Strange Little Girl was decent - but defo Hugh was going through the motions that day IMO.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

The whole band were going through the motions - Hugh was only one person on that stage that night, and there were a fucking lot of people on that stage.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Thanks, you understand where i was coming from and what i was trying to say,but i also do think that all the members have contributed to the band very well in their own way through the 47 years that have made this band the band they are today.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: ↑06 Oct 2021, 18:47
Thanks, you understand where i was coming from and what i was trying to say,but i also do think that all the members have contributed to the band very well in their own way through the 47 years that have made this band the band they are today.
Yes and Paul was great live, had great banter to, but his voice was just the wrong tone. But he kept the band going along with JE. Lt Kudu.