Dark Matters - Extra Tracks

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Josh
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Dark Matters - Extra Tracks

Post by Josh »

stuartinblack wrote: 05 Oct 2021, 16:13 Milton Keynes bowl 1991 best live version of toiler for me ever
Agreed.
Never say goodbye,
For we'll all be with you someday,
Fond adieus but never say goodbye
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

Josh wrote: 05 Oct 2021, 16:35
stuartinblack wrote: 05 Oct 2021, 16:13 Milton Keynes bowl 1991 best live version of toiler for me ever
Agreed.
Yep, one of the absolute best live recordings for me. I wish they'd bring out a remastered CD of it.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Agreed.
Oh know what about the version on all Live and night album? Lt Kudu.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

I have ordered the Japanese Dark Matters, for a few reasons, I want the extra tracks and I love the album, and yes there is a stonking version of one of my fave ever Stranglers songs the shit load of crap that is Freedom is Insane, irony, irony irony. Lt Kudu :smt005
stuartinblack
Rats Rally

Post by stuartinblack »

parasiteinblack wrote: 05 Oct 2021, 16:44
Josh wrote: 05 Oct 2021, 16:35 Yes brilliant version but dave on the 1991 gig at Milton Keynes was mind blowing
Agreed.
Yep, one of the absolute best live recordings for me. I wish they'd bring out a remastered CD of it.
Y
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Agreed.
Well i hadn't heard the milton keynes bowl version before because i stopped post Hugh,so i've just listened to it for the first time out of curiosity and sorry as i thought before listening a best toiler without Hugh's vocals cannot be my best.The best bit's for me on this version is JJ's amazing bass agreed it was really rocking,but that's about it for me sorry but each to their own as usual.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 05 Oct 2021, 18:48, edited 5 times in total.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 05 Oct 2021, 17:56
Agreed.
Oh know what about the version on all Live and night album? Lt Kudu.
Now there's a bloody good version of toiler agreed in just my opinion too.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

The Milton Keynes 1991 version of Toiler is actually a really, really great version - as it WOULD be, because the arrangement of that version is based on the version MKI were playing towards the end (as documented on All Live and All of the Night), but the version on All Live has the edge for me because - obviously, first and foremost it's Hugh on guitar and vocals - but also I've never been fond of the way it kicks back in in the outro. Still, given the choice of hearing early MKII do it or MKIV+ do it, then early MKII wins any day of the week. Easily.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 05 Oct 2021, 19:03 The Milton Keynes 1991 version of Toiler is actually a really, really great version - as it WOULD be, because the arrangement of that version is based on the version MKI were playing towards the end (as documented on All Live and All of the Night), but the version on All Live has the edge for me because - obviously, first and foremost it's Hugh on guitar and vocals - but also I've never been fond of the way it kicks back in in the outro. Still, given the choice of hearing early MKII do it or MKIV+ do it, then early MKII wins any day of the week. Easily.
Well like we say each their own stan but i couldn't agree with you of Mk11 being infront of any mk's version of toiler first and formost is because of the vocals and baz is closer to Hugh's than Paul was for me anyway.Baz's guitar parts sound more closer to how Hugh played it which i think is how baz intended it to sound like and that is more like how it was on the record and how hugh did compared to that of when John was in the band with MK11 where he would more improvise the song more along with pauls take on Hugh's vocals as well.Again MK11 i think were great on their own material but on hugh's MK1 songs and especially with the like's of toiler it wasn't like how it was for me,even though many may of prefered that i don't know.So my observation of it all is that MK1V is closer to Mk1's versions than Mk11 were,yes they were full of energy and many may have prefered that side to the band live and still may prefer what MK11 did more than MK1V and that's fine but i don't think they played closer to how MK1 did it, but again it's just my one fan's opinion on it.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

toilerinblack wrote: 05 Oct 2021, 20:09 baz is closer to Hugh's than Paul was for me anyway
Baz's vocal "talents" are nowhere near Hugh's, and definitely nowhere near Paul's. Don't be daft.
kenl
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by kenl »

Without Hugh, surprised to hear that.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 05 Oct 2021, 21:06
toilerinblack wrote: 05 Oct 2021, 20:09 baz is closer to Hugh's than Paul was for me anyway
Baz's vocal "talents" are nowhere near Hugh's, and definitely nowhere near Paul's. Don't be daft.
I never said his talents are anywhere near hugh's at all neither of them can be,what i said is Baz in the band for me play live more like MK1 did and sounded to the Hugh sung songs than Paul did.Is Paul a better singer YES but his vocals in my opinion never suited the stranglers Hugh sung songs.Is Paul the better singer of the three yes but being the better singer doesn't mean you are the most suited for the style band that your in,so there is a big difference between being the best and the best suited.Now i love Pauls vocals on NC fantasic and WIR too he sung songs that nobody else could of done them like.On the DM front i really like the bonus live tracks especially a fantastic freedom version love it i keep playing that it's brilliantly played with JJ's vocals sounding really good too.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 05 Oct 2021, 21:53, edited 16 times in total.