Dark Matters - Extra Tracks

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Re: Dark Matters - Extra Tracks

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 06 Oct 2021, 20:34
toilerinblack wrote: 06 Oct 2021, 18:47
Greatkudu wrote: 06 Oct 2021, 09:55

Sir let me defend you, not that you need it, its a forum not a shidokan Tournament, the Toiler at Ally Palley seemed great at the gig, I was their, but seems terrible on the CD recording, and Baz may not be as good a singer as Paul but his vocal tone suits the Stranglers better than Paul, Paul's tone to deep for the songs and he ruined most of them IMHO, and as for Toiler he killed that for me, he shouted the chorus sometimes, totally ruined all the Sublety, and it was so much better when they went back to a four piece. Lt Kudu.
Thanks, you understand where i was coming from and what i was trying to say,but i also do think that all the members have contributed to the band very well in their own way through the 47 years that have made this band the band they are today.
Yes and Paul was great live, had great banter to, but his voice was just the wrong tone. But he kept the band going along with JE. Lt Kudu.
Yes Great singer but on the hugh songs the wrong tone like you say many don't seem to get that's exactly where i'm coming from not that he's not a good singer because he was and still is and he for sure with JE kept the band going like you say and in a way it was a shame with Paul because with NC he had hit his peak with some of his best work since joining i thought except a few crackers on WIR and at long last found his way and style that sounded right for the new stranglers for sure.The Ally gig i thought was a great gig with the brass section which i think was a good addition for the times they were in at that point in time in the music industry brass was a good in thing in the mid to late eighties and i liked it and have never understood why many thought the tour and album was crap,i thought Hugh went out on a high and like he said that last gig he gave it is all,his vocals were to my ears in prime shape in '90 i thought even though the band together were on a no way back situation what with JJ's and Hugh's spark well dead in the water for good there was no way back for that line up from then onwards anyway i felt at the time.
lostinpaddington
Down In The Sewer

Post by lostinpaddington »

StanInBlack wrote: 06 Oct 2021, 17:44 The whole band were going through the motions - Hugh was only one person on that stage that night, and there were a fucking lot of people on that stage.
Fair point although not sure Dave was any less enthusiastic than normal. But agree as a collective there was a spark lacking. Only picked Hugh out in the context that he pretty much immediately announced he was leaving.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

The ally gig in my opinion sounded very good,sung very well,added too with a brass section,two guitarists,bass player,keyboard player and bongos too is a hell of a lot of musician's up there on that stage that night that all added to give it a real overall good full sound to me,so what wasn't good about it? the vibe? the energy? maybe that could be sensed and seen between the band to the fans i agree but surely the quality of the music is no.1 at seeing any band live? i thought the songs were of a good quality to a good set as well where Hugh i felt unknowingly at the time did bow out in style and on top of his game,but i do think the gig did sound so much better on the night than the vinyl's production in my view,but as usual each to their own.
Frederik
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Frederik »

cassini wrote: 05 Oct 2021, 00:05 This has been removed from YouTube now.
Sil will be after the culprit :smt075
alaninblack
Rats Rally

Post by alaninblack »

evonx wrote: 05 Oct 2021, 21:39 As for Toiler live, the worst lacklustre version was with Hugh on that final gig, the Saturday Night Sunday Morning cd. One of my all time faves sounds dead there.
That CD should of had the title "Dead On Arrival"
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Frederik wrote: 08 Oct 2021, 21:25
I couldn't imagine why. It's difficult to imagine anyone outside of a painfully small number of fans giving a shit.
Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Cells&Plasma »

StanInBlack wrote:
Frederik wrote: 08 Oct 2021, 21:25
I couldn't imagine why. It's difficult to imagine anyone outside of a painfully small number of fans giving a shit.
How small is small in your World Stan??

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Why were the extra tracks taken down? It sells cds as it was hearing the live version of Freedom that made me order the Japanese DMs, it arrives tomorrow. Lt Kudu.
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

Greatkudu wrote: 10 Oct 2021, 10:05 Why were the extra tracks taken down? It sells cds as it was hearing the live version of Freedom that made me order the Japanese DMs, it arrives tomorrow. Lt Kudu.
Probably something to do with copyright control - they were uploaded unofficially as far as I know. I don't know whether leaving them up would establish some sort of precedent that might make it difficult for them to get other things removed. I'm also not sure that hearing these different versions would persuade people to buy the CDs they came from - wouldn't the majority just listen to them on YT and then not have to buy the album?
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

Where's the best place to get the Japanese bonus tracks?
Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Cells&Plasma »

jason wrote:Where's the best place to get the Japanese bonus tracks?
Tokyo

jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

Cells&Plasma wrote: 10 Oct 2021, 19:13
jason wrote:Where's the best place to get the Japanese bonus tracks?
Tokyo

How much is the flight?!! :lol: