Top Ten Tracks post Hugh '90

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Re: Top Ten Tracks post Hugh '90

Post by toilerinblack »

Valery wrote: 30 Sep 2021, 00:34 This is very difficult. There probably is not much in it beween the top ten and the top ten that did not make the top ten...

Money
The Face
Sinister
Still Life
Here
In The End
Long Black Veil
Tucker's Grave
Mine All Mine
Last Men On The Moon
Great choice.
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

Thanks folks, interesting responses regarding a question I asked within this thread.

There seems to be a consensus that live and studio wise nothing can rival the golden era up to Feline.
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by 8088 »

Jake wrote: 30 Sep 2021, 17:26 Thanks folks, interesting responses regarding a question I asked within this thread.

There seems to be a consensus that live and studio wise nothing can rival the golden era up to Feline.
For me everything up to and including 10 is sacrosanct - my brain cannot even begin to compare anything that came after no matter how good.

Hugh and JJ steering the ship together will always be The Stranglers.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

8088 wrote: 30 Sep 2021, 17:39
Jake wrote: 30 Sep 2021, 17:26 Thanks folks, interesting responses regarding a question I asked within this thread.

For me everything up to and including 10 is sacrosanct - my brain cannot even begin to compare anything that came after no matter how good.

Well that's it in a nutshell for me too really...i like your description of Hugh & JJ steering the ship together will always be the stranglers.I think the band post Hugh especially with a few good albums with NC and DM with a few from WIR too have done well in their own different right but as an MK 1 fan at heart i agree totally with your summing up.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 30 Sep 2021, 19:23, edited 1 time in total.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

I'm surprised to see Wet afternoon in a couple of lists. I thought it sounded promising live but I was really disappointed with the studio version. Maybe I'll give it another go but come on it doesn't even compete with tracks like White Stallion, Water, Freedom is insane and Relentless. :shock:
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by 8088 »

toilerinblack wrote: 30 Sep 2021, 18:50

Well that's it in a nutshell for me too really...i like your description of Hugh & JJ steering the ship together will always be the stranglers.I think the band post Hugh especially with a few good albums with NC and DM with a few from WIR too have done well in their own different right but as an MK 1 fan at heart i agree totally with your summing up.
Yep - post Hugh I judge them as an entirely different thing.

Hugh and JJ on and off stage were like brothers - Hugh the wise older one and JJ the younger one spoiling for trouble...but both acting as one - inseparable. That was part of the magic.
ygwas
Rats Rally

Post by ygwas »

Time to Die
Heaven or Hell
Golden Boy
In Heaven She Walks
Norfolk Coast
Big Thing Coming
Spectre Of Love
Freedom is Insane
Water
This Song
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

8088 wrote: 30 Sep 2021, 19:32
toilerinblack wrote: 30 Sep 2021, 18:50

Yep - post Hugh I judge them as an entirely different thing.

Hugh and JJ on and off stage were like brothers - Hugh the wise older one and JJ the younger one spoiling for trouble...but both acting as one - inseparable. That was part of the magic.
Yep-That's exactly how it was the two were very different songwriters but came together so well,i think it was Hugh who brought out the best in JJ like you say the older wiser one he looked up to.
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

jason wrote: 30 Sep 2021, 18:59 I'm surprised to see Wet afternoon in a couple of lists. I thought it sounded promising live but I was really disappointed with the studio version. Maybe I'll give it another go but come on it doesn't even compete with tracks like White Stallion, Water, Freedom is insane and Relentless. :shock:
It's a great track with everyone doing something a little bit quirky. The production on ITN lets it down but the songs are still great.
You've got the weird samples going on, the strange "wobbly" synth thing in the verses, an insistent JJ bassline and wacky solo, nice jangly guitar from John, a nice little "ba-dum!" every so often from Jet, nice twiddly piano bits from Dave, Paul on top form and then the band having a good old singalong throughout the chorus. Classic track.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

parasiteinblack wrote: 30 Sep 2021, 22:10
jason wrote: 30 Sep 2021, 18:59 I'm surprised to see Wet afternoon in a couple of lists. I thought it sounded promising live but I was really disappointed with the studio version. Maybe I'll give it another go but come on it doesn't even compete with tracks like White Stallion, Water, Freedom is insane and Relentless. :shock:
It's a great track with everyone doing something a little bit quirky. The production on ITN lets it down but the songs are still great.
You've got the weird samples going on, the strange "wobbly" synth thing in the verses, an insistent JJ bassline and wacky solo, nice jangly guitar from John, a nice little "ba-dum!" every so often from Jet, nice twiddly piano bits from Dave, Paul on top form and then the band having a good old singalong throughout the chorus. Classic track.
Ok I'll give it another a go!
Palais81
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Palais81 »

I have very much enjoyed this thread as I have listened to everyone's choices especially songs I have not listened to for some time. So thanks Toiler for posing such a tricky question. Several times my list changed but here it is:
In the End
Norfolk Coast
Big Thing Coming
Into the Fire
I've Been Wild
See Me Coming
Relentless
Water
White Stallion
Breathe

No songs from Giants I am afraid. I do really like the album and all the songs are good but none are brilliant. As you can see I am a sucker for when the band rocks out (only the brilliant In The End gets chosen here). However, I do like their quieter moments also. Perhaps that could be another list.....10 favourite quieter/more plaintive tracks from all Mk's. Only a thought.....
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Palais81 wrote: 01 Oct 2021, 14:19 I have very much enjoyed this thread as I have listened to everyone's choices especially songs I have not listened to for some time. So thanks Toiler for posing such a tricky question. Several times my list changed but here it is:
In the End
Norfolk Coast
Big Thing Coming
Into the Fire
I've Been Wild
See Me Coming
Relentless
Water
White Stallion
Breathe

No songs from Giants I am afraid. I do really like the album and all the songs are good but none are brilliant. As you can see I am a sucker for when the band rocks out (only the brilliant In The End gets chosen here). However, I do like their quieter moments also. Perhaps that could be another list.....10 favourite quieter/more plaintive tracks from all Mk's. Only a thought.....
I can see your good choice of belters one after the other ...nice ten choices.