This Song - Behind The Scenes

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: This Song - Behind The Scenes

Post by StanInBlack »

Jake wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 11:08 The drums are a bit euuuuuwwww on this, just hit hard, crash, bang, wallop, granted he’s faster than Jet, but lacks the subtlety of Jet.
I agree, and that's a big issue that I generally have with Jim's drumming - he totally lacks Jet's finesse and subtlety and his playing feels quite leaden and lacks swing and groove. The impact that Jet's absence has had on the sound of the band is palpable in a way that I didn't foresee.
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by 8088 »

Jake wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 12:27 I guess almost half a million views on YouTube in a month is not bad, are they watching for the stranglers or the Psycho football guy or a bit of both?
I wouldn't have known Stuart Pearce if I passed him on the street but he absolutely makes the video - and it's to their creative credit that the video doesn't directly relate to the lyrics - I'd go as far as saying it's their best promo video since La Folie.

So maybe the hit count is a combination of all effects - either way a good promotional tool for the album and tour.
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

StanInBlack wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 21:41 Firstly, I think JJ - if anything - is holding back in his performance, I would have preferred more attack. It sounds like JJ is tickling the strings with the volume turned up. I also would have eased off slightly on the treble - comparing the bass sound on this vs. the bass sound on, say, "Tank" is like day and night.
Holding back is just as valid as going full throttle. Depends on the song.

Comparing JJs modern sound with his 70s sound - I think the main difference is he was using overdriven valve amps in the 70s with that particular bass. 'Mercury Rising' gets close IMO.
Let's Boogie
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

markorbit wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 15:07 Holding back is just as valid as going full throttle. Depends on the song.
Of course, which would be a fair comment if we were talking about "Santfe Kuss" or something, but this song warranted a more full throttle approach.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

markorbit wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 15:07 Comparing JJs modern sound with his 70s sound - I think the main difference is he was using overdriven valve amps in the 70s with that particular bass.
Yes. He had a very particular, unique equipment set-up on the first three albums which went part of the way towards delivering what is known as the "trademark JJ" sound, but also Martin Rushent had a particular way of getting that sound on record. When Rushent went and JJ changed equipment, that sound was permanently lost and the band have tried and failed to get that sound back since.
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by 8088 »

StanInBlack wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 15:39
markorbit wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 15:07 Comparing JJs modern sound with his 70s sound - I think the main difference is he was using overdriven valve amps in the 70s with that particular bass.
Yes. He had a very particular, unique equipment set-up on the first three albums which went part of the way towards delivering what is known as the "trademark JJ" sound, but also Martin Rushent had a particular way of getting that sound on record. When Rushent went and JJ changed equipment, that sound was permanently lost and the band have tried and failed to get that sound back since.
Gah! They're just not trying hard enough - JJ can borrow my Westone Thunder IA if he wants :lol:
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

8088 wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 17:59 Gah! They're just not trying hard enough - JJ can borrow my Westone Thunder IA if he wants :lol:
I bought one of those in 1983... !!
Let's Boogie
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

StanInBlack wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 14:00 I agree, and that's a big issue that I generally have with Jim's drumming - he totally lacks Jet's finesse and subtlety and his playing feels quite leaden and lacks swing and groove. The impact that Jet's absence has had on the sound of the band is palpable in a way that I didn't foresee.
Not many drummers interest me, but Jet Black, he was just something else, his approach was quite minimalist, nothing too fussy. I noticed on a YT video when the stranglers stage invaded Blondie in drag, that Jim guy kneeling down to Clement Burke. I think a lot of punk type drummers want to play like him Clem Burke, who certainly has some very memorable beats, but sometimes again suffers from hitting for the sake of it. The two greatest rock drummers as far as I am concerned Jet Black and Budgie.
8088 wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 14:35
I wouldn't have known Stuart Pearce if I passed him on the street but he absolutely makes the video - and it's to their creative credit that the video doesn't directly relate to the lyrics - I'd go as far as saying it's their best promo video since La Folie.

So maybe the hit count is a combination of all effects - either way a good promotional tool for the album and tour.
I mean sure it’s a novel idea, personally I prefer the vids to SLG, European Female, Midnight Summer Dream, No Mercy, Nice in Nice. I wouldn’t have known or particularly cared it was Stuart Pearce either, football is overrated as far as I am concerned

I’ll get me coat
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

StanInBlack wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 14:00 I agree, and that's a big issue that I generally have with Jim's drumming - he totally lacks Jet's finesse and subtlety and his playing feels quite leaden and lacks swing and groove. The impact that Jet's absence has had on the sound of the band is palpable in a way that I didn't foresee.
Not many drummers interest me, but Jet Black, he was just something else, his approach was quite minimalist, nothing too fussy. I noticed on a YT video when the stranglers stage invaded Blondie in drag, that Jim guy kneeling down to Clement Burke. I think a lot of punk type drummers want to play like Clem Burke, who certainly has some very memorable beats, but sometimes again suffers from hitting for the sake of it. The two greatest rock drummers as far as I am concerned are Jet Black and Budgie.
8088 wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 14:35

I mean sure it’s a novel idea, personally I prefer the vids to Strange Little Girl, European Female, Midnight Summer Dream, No Mercy, Nice in Nice. I wouldn’t have known or particularly cared it was Stuart Pearce either, I have no interest in football tbpfh
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

StanInBlack wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 14:00
Jake wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 11:08 The drums are a bit euuuuuwwww on this, just hit hard, crash, bang, wallop, granted he’s faster than Jet, but lacks the subtlety of Jet.
I agree, and that's a big issue that I generally have with Jim's drumming - he totally lacks Jet's finesse and subtlety and his playing feels quite leaden and lacks swing and groove. The impact that Jet's absence has had on the sound of the band is palpable in a way that I didn't foresee.
Jim is a really good drummer, and I can't believe I'm being critical of him, but I was watching the Paris DVD from 2014 the other day and I hate to say this but Jim doesn't look like a natural drummer,then you have the four songs at the end recorded In Manchester with Jet playing on and the difference is very noticeable, Jet played like he was born to be behind the kit but Jim doesn't have the groove or subtlety of Jet, of course Jet far more experienced and has a Jazz background where you learn a light touch,Jet really is one of the greats a master of all aspects of the kit with a rare skill for enhancing the song, sometimes what you don't play is as important as what you do play. But I still think Jim has done a fine job in the new album. Lt Kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 03 Oct 2021, 19:42
Jim is a really good drummer, and I can't believe I'm being critical of him, but I was watching the Paris DVD from 2014 the other day and I hate to say this but Jim doesn't look like a natural drummer,then you have the four songs at the end recorded In Manchester with Jet playing on and the difference is very noticeable, Jet played like he was born to be behind the kit but Jim doesn't have the groove or subtlety of Jet, of course Jet far more experienced and has a Jazz background where you learn a light touch,Jet really is one of the greats a master of all aspects of the kit with a rare skill for enhancing the song, sometimes what you don't play is as important as what you do play. But I still think Jim has done a fine job in the new album. Lt Kudu.
Well that's intresting you are the drummer and i'm not lol.. so i understand your observations and opinion.
For me i think he's done a great and fine job for the last ten years whose fitted in really well and given it his all for sure.I've been listening to his drumming from about 10 years ago in different bands and to me who is a non drummer it does still sound bloody good and that's from back then.But yes i think he has done a fine job like you say on DM whose certainly has stamped his own style of drumming to the tracks with some very different and refreshing beats to what we've been used to and yes nobody can fill Jet's shoes but as he's retired i think they have the right man in for sure whose become a real strangler and more than a filler under the circumstances of Jet's health in just my one fan's opinion.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 03 Oct 2021, 19:54
Greatkudu wrote: 03 Oct 2021, 19:42

Well that's intresting you are the drummer and i'm not lol.. so i understand your observations and opinion.
For me i think he's done a great and fine job for the last ten years whose fitted in really well and given it his all for sure.I've been listening to his drumming from about 10 years ago in different bands and to me who is a non drummer it does still sound bloody good and that's from back then.But yes i think he has done a fine job like you say on DM whose certainly has stamped his own style of drumming to the tracks with some very different and refreshing beats to what we've been used to and yes nobody can fill Jet's shoes but as he's retired i think they have the right man in for sure whose become a real strangler and more than a filler under the circumstances of Jet's health in just my one fan's opinion.
Sir I agree with all you say about Jim, Jet really Is a true Giant of music and drumming, so Jim has to be himself and does a great job live and his drumming style is different to Jet maybe he would love to do more fills and rolls, but the Stranglers music doesn't require that style, but he certainly has interpreted the songs in a different way to Jet of course, but some songs have a similar style to Jet with subtle drumming. We just have to enjoy whatever we have now and Jim is a true Strangler end of. Lt Kudu.