This Song - Behind The Scenes

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

The Man They Love To Hate

This Song - Behind The Scenes

Post by 8088 »

Video of the parkour guys being filmed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPJ1qH2JDAk
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Re: This Song - Behind The Scenes

Post by markorbit »

Cool. I really like the video. Possibly the best the band have done. I managed to work out where most of the scenes were except the ones by the garages.
Let's Boogie

Post by 8088 »

markorbit wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 13:02 Cool. I really like the video. Possibly the best the band have done. I managed to work out where most of the scenes were except the ones by the garages.
Yes, great video - almost integral to the song.

Always fun to do that - especially with the old classic videos.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Interesting that they've used an instrumental version for the background music. I say that because Baz's voice is so distracting on the "proper" version that I hadn't really noticed how less than ideal the bass sound on this is.

Post by 8088 »

StanInBlack wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 13:48 Interesting that they've used an instrumental version for the background music. I say that because Baz's voice is so distracting on the "proper" version that I hadn't really noticed how less than ideal the bass sound on this is.
How would you have done it?
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Bass sounds fine to me, don't understand the less than ideal comment. Lt Kudu. :smt005
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 16:16 Bass sounds fine to me, don't understand the less than ideal comment. Lt Kudu. :smt005
Yes the bass sounds good to me too and the vid is one of their best,pretty dam good to be able to say that about a video from this band after 47 years.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 18:10
Greatkudu wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 16:16 Bass sounds fine to me, don't understand the less than ideal comment. Lt Kudu. :smt005
Yes the bass sounds good to me too and the vid is one of their best,pretty dam good to be able to say that about a video from this band after 47 years.
Yes but this song is my least favourite on the album, it's a great song but prefer others.Lt Kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 18:23
toilerinblack wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 18:10
Yes but this song is my least favourite on the album, it's a great song but prefer others.Lt Kudu.
Same here,it is a good cover by them with a good video,but i prefer the songs they wrote,Moon, NML and Stallion are absolute blinders.This album has variety too with Breathe and down too which i'm not a big fan off to be honest but never the less it's a corker of an album.Mind you i was driving yesturday and played the whole of NC in the car and i thought that is one seriously good album,Paul's best by far.DM & NC the stranglers best post Hugh for sure.
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

The Stranglers haven't improved the original version in my opinion.Baz's vocal taints it for me ( bocks/ yoo/gloo)and the unnecessary extra verse.
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

Ruby wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 19:52 The Stranglers haven't improved the original version in my opinion.Baz's vocal taints it for me ( bocks/ yoo/gloo)and the unnecessary extra verse.
Have to say I had a listen, ad yes I prefer the vocals on the original, Baz’s voice lacks the venom it’s trying to project imo, it sounds forced and unnatural
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

8088 wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 14:10
StanInBlack wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 13:48 Interesting that they've used an instrumental version for the background music. I say that because Baz's voice is so distracting on the "proper" version that I hadn't really noticed how less than ideal the bass sound on this is.
How would you have done it?
I would have attempted to dissuade them from recording the song in the first place, as I don't think it's particularly great to begin with. There's a certain type of Stranglers fan that simply hears a loud bass and thinks "wow, JJ's bass is amazing!" without any regard for anything else other than it's loud and you can hear it. Firstly, I think JJ - if anything - is holding back in his performance, I would have preferred more attack. It sounds like JJ is tickling the strings with the volume turned up. I also would have eased off slightly on the treble - comparing the bass sound on this vs. the bass sound on, say, "Tank" is like day and night.