Dark Matters v Giants

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Dark Matters v Giants

Post by StanInBlack »

alaninblack wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 01:00 I'm sure there must be another thread somewhere
There is, which is why I solely stuck to the post-Hugh albums and where Dark Matters falls in the post-Hugh scheme of things.
aldinblack wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 08:19 Breathe sounds a bit Pinky Floydy to me!
It sounds terrible to me, but your mileage may vary. I think comparing it to Pink Floyd is far too kind... Pink Floyd at their peak were "greatest of all time" material. "Breathe" is a bit of a limp non-thing.
Fredib
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Fredib »

StanInBlack wrote: 18 Oct 2021, 13:49 post-Hugh ranked:

Suite XVI
Norfolk Coast
About Time
Written in Red

Stranglers in the Night

Dark Matters
Giants
Coup de Grace
Suite XVI
Giants
Coup de Grace
Dark Matters
About Time
Written In Red
Norfolk Coast (muddy production - simplicity is best )
In The Night (beurk midi instruments Mike Kemp ruined this opus)
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

StanInBlack wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 09:11
alaninblack wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 01:00 I'm sure there must be another thread somewhere
There is, which is why I solely stuck to the post-Hugh albums and where Dark Matters falls in the post-Hugh scheme of things.
It sounds terrible to me, but your mileage may vary. I think comparing it to Pink Floyd is far too kind... Pink Floyd at their peak were "greatest of all time" material. "Breathe" is a bit of a limp non-thing.
I made what I consider a big mistake when Giants came out , I compared, or said , Mercury Rising( urghhh) was more akin to material on Nosferatu .Big mistake really as Nosferatu is a good album with some odd stuff . MR is just dire imo , so I can see how someone might compare something to something else at an early stages......it can happen , I later realised my mistake as the dislike grew , and grew .......and grew .
Breathe ......don't like it much myself , no way I hate it but I am not keen , just because like Lines and Down , slow one's or accoustic type .....I simply don't like that stuff .Down in other languages , not for me , it's the same thing so why bother just in a different language, the only one I ever got that they did like that was Sverige , brilliant .
All quiet ..........
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

Post Hugh albums..........best to Giants , oooops .
Suite
Norfolk
ITN
About Time
Dark Matters
WIR
Coup
Giants

8 albums in 30 years , not a lot really , is it ?
All quiet ..........
Mad Hatter
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Mad Hatter »

Norfolk Coast
Dark Matters
About Time
Suite XVI
In the Night
Coup de Grace
Giants
Written in Red
ricam
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by ricam »

StanInBlack wrote:
I think you could compare it more favourably to the post Waters Pink Floyd.

To me it stands up against anything after 1986 that PF have produced.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

ricam wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 10:52
StanInBlack wrote:
I think you could compare it more favourably to the post Waters Pink Floyd.

To me it stands up against anything after 1986 that PF have produced.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
It's all opinions again, i usually put IMHO on here as its my personal view and opinion, to make a statement saying the greatest music ever about any artist is subjective, I'm not criticising you, but just general observation, I'm not going to the ranking best this and that shabangle, but I loved Giants but i think Dark Matters is a better album and I think it's one of the best Post Hugh, the reason is? I keep finding myself wanting to listen to it, it is so diverse with various styles and sounds cohesive. And Its currently my favourite post Hugh album, but others don't think the same. Lt Kudu. :smt013
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

StanInBlack wrote:
yeah well I never said it was as good as Pink Floyd.
I Hate You !
ozymandias
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by ozymandias »

Jon the Impaler wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 10:36
I made what I consider a big mistake when Giants came out , I compared, or said , Mercury Rising( urghhh) was more akin to material on Nosferatu .Big mistake really as Nosferatu is a good album with some odd stuff . MR is just dire imo , so I can see how someone might compare something to something else at an early stages......it can happen , I later realised my mistake as the dislike grew , and grew .......and grew .
Breathe ......don't like it much myself , no way I hate it but I am not keen , just because like Lines and Down , slow one's or accoustic type .....I simply don't like that stuff .Down in other languages , not for me , it's the same thing so why bother just in a different language, the only one I ever got that they did like that was Sverige , brilliant .
Am I the only person that likes Mercury Rising?
Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Cells&Plasma »

ozymandias wrote:
StanInBlack wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 09:11 There is, which is why I solely stuck to the post-Hugh albums and where Dark Matters falls in the post-Hugh scheme of things.
No...I like it too!! But absolutely hate Giants as a body of Work.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

ozymandias
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by ozymandias »

Cells&Plasma wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 14:22
ozymandias wrote:
No...I like it too!! But absolutely hate Giants as a body of Work.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Phew... but yeah, Giants is patchy at best and gets pretty irregular spins. I've listened to DM far more in a much shorter period.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

ozymandias wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 14:06

Sir no I join you in the club of 3,its a good song, its about Baz when he joined the band, great bassline, nice pattern from Jet and great riff from Dave, shame people don't seem to comment about Miss You from WIR, now that is a terrible song, IMHO the worst ever Stranglers song by far, I cant listen to it, it's shocking a low point in the band. Lt Kudu