Dark Matters v Giants

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

The Man They Love To Hate

Re: Dark Matters v Giants

Post by 8088 »

theraven1979 wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 14:49 I'm not a precious little petal - plus no one has been abusive. PM me if you think otherwise and I'll sort. Goes for anyone.

Jim
I did PM you about dirty tricks being pulled and they did stop....the abuse, I let it ride because the individual concerned is digging his own hole and he's happy there.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Yep it got actioned

Jim
8088 wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 14:55
theraven1979 wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 14:49 I'm not a precious little petal - plus no one has been abusive. PM me if you think otherwise and I'll sort. Goes for anyone.

Jim
I did PM you about dirty tricks being pulled and they did stop....the abuse, I let it ride because the individual concerned is digging his own hole and he's happy there.
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

8088 wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 14:34
Jon the Impaler wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 14:19 Anyway , luckily here no matter who agrees or disagrees on what it doesn't get nasty , I think everyone accepts others view without getting heated .
Maybe you've been away? This is the single most abusive online space I've ever encountered!
No , it's nothing compared to Square ball , really , nothing . That was downright toxic on there . I haven't seen anything nasty on here but maybe I haven't visited any of those threads .I can only comment on what I have seen and in my time here I don't remember anything like that Leeds site , maybe I have just been lucky 😀
Last edited by Jon the Impaler on 20 Oct 2021, 15:15, edited 1 time in total.
All quiet ..........
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

Maybe you've been away? This is the single most abusive online space I've ever encountered!
Really? I wasn’t aware of that, granted I have got in a couple of discussions that were heated and rather unpleasant, but no one has ever issued threats to others as far as I’ve seen. This place is very mild compared to the average Twitter feed whenever Brexit for example is discussed. I’d also say it’s mild compared to some of the Doctor Who forums I used to visit, which basically closed down due to their toxicity.
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

Jake wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 15:14
Really? I wasn’t aware of that, granted I have got in a couple of discussions that were heated and rather unpleasant, but no one has ever issued threats to others as far as I’ve seen. This place is very mild compared to the average Twitter feed whenever Brexit for example is discussed. I’d also say it’s mild compared to some of the Doctor Who forums I used to visit, which basically closed down due to their toxicity.
It's a shame the Leeds one didn't close , those nasty element chased others out of the site , but then those lot would probably go on the other one I use and proceed to destroy that , so they are welcome to stay where they are . I could never imagine Dr Who fans getting nasty , but then I liked Game of Thrones and the fans got really heated up in last series when they didn't like how story lines were turning out .....FFS it's a TV programme , get a life and just enjoy it .
All quiet ..........
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by 8088 »

Jake wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 15:14
Oh no - I've never been threatened - that would be silly really being the internet. The slander and abuse is real though and could easily qualify for legal proceedings but as I say, such abuse says everything about the abuser - nothing about me.

That made me laugh about Doctor Who :lol: Fiery discussions about the best Sonic Screwdriver?
Bogenbroom
Rats Rally

Post by Bogenbroom »

8088 wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 15:24 That made me laugh about Doctor Who :lol: Fiery discussions about the best Sonic Screwdriver?
Doctor Who forums and social media get incredibly toxic, with depressing regularity. The reasons are similar to what you see here - basically endless variations on ‘it’s not as good as it used to be, and it’s all because of person X’

This place is very mild, mainly cos there isn’t all that much to talk about most of the time!
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

Jake wrote:
aldinblack wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 09:39

I used to listen to Pink Floyd quite a lot back in my youth.
Now my Floyd listening is restricted to 'Animals' and 'Meddle'.

'Breathe' does have a Floyd 1971 vibe about it. Good track.

Yes Animals is one of my favourite Floyd albums too. Every track on that is better than Breathe :-)

I like Meddle, except for the Liverpool football song bit!

Pink Floyd have such a vast expansive catalogue it's no wonder they have influenced so many bands, including our Stranglers and that's fine by me..

Have they influenced the stranglers? I wasn’t really aware of that and would struggle to see where, do enlighten further.

I like bits and pieces of Floyd, the Syd Barret stuff in particular, which is worlds apart from anything that came after.

Meddle - not bad. Dark side of the moon is so overrated, Wish you were here is slightly better, but still very pompous. Animals on the other hand, as you suggest is a great album. It’s quite angry and it’s been said it fits with the punk era, even if the Floyd were the antithesis of Punk.
The Wall is alright, but far too long, I like the album many hate, the Final Cut, but everything post Roger Waters is dull as f imho.

Finally I was going to say some of the Roger Waters solo material, not least his album “Amused to Death” well it’s more my cup of tea than the vast majority of Post Barret Floyd. Which brings me to the only stranglers Floyd connection I can think of, that being JJ having a bit of a spat with Roger Waters who is massively involved in artists boycotting Israel

I’ve said this elsewhere but “Lines” is shockingly similar to the Floyd track “Mother” and one of Waters solo tracks featured on “When the Wind Blows”. Other than that I am less sure where I can hear the Floyd influence in the stranglers, particularly MK1, I can’t think of any examples if you could elaborate.
OK you're right, they've only recently gone a bit Floydy then on DM!

nothing really before that I guess, although both bands had a tendency to do long instrumental breaks within their songs, which is probably one of the main reasons I like them so much..
I Hate You !
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

Jon the Impaler wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 15:19
I could never imagine Dr Who fans getting nasty , but then I liked Game of Thrones and the fans got really heated up in last series when they didn't like how story lines were turning out .....FFS it's a TV programme , get a life and just enjoy it .
Most notably there used to be a forum on the official BBC page, that was shut down when Russel T Davies became show runner, I believe a mixture of homophobia towards him and outrage that Billie Piper had been cast as the companion. Another major Doctor Who forum was shut down around the Matt Smith era, and these places were basically toxic. Doctor Who fans can be renowned for going ape shit if you like a particular era that doesn’t rank as one of the fan favourites. I suppose to a lesser extent some stranglers fans lose their shit over similar preferences.

Now it’s all moved onto social media it’s probably worse, the best case in point being the casting of Jodie Whittaker, who I personally have really liked as The Doctor, but if you express that on social media it almost inevitably leads to a pile on. Then there are several YouTube profiles dedicated to saying how much they hate the current production. The sad thing is, if you’re a fan of Jodie Whittaker, the predominant video’s to come up on YouTube are these really vile diatribes dedicated to how much they hate her, the producer etc. It’s a good job Jodie Whittaker stays off social media, the things people say go beyond constructive criticism and are just downright nasty.

8088 wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 15:24
Oh no - I've never been threatened - that would be silly really being the internet. The slander and abuse is real though and could easily qualify for legal proceedings but as I say, such abuse says everything about the abuser - nothing about me.

That made me laugh about Doctor Who :lol: Fiery discussions about the best Sonic Screwdriver?
I wonder how practical it is for most of us without access to a good legal representation to pursue such things?
As mentioned above regarding “fan” videos on YouTube, there’s a hell of a lot of malicious communication and arguably slander directed towards Jodie Whittaker, show runner Chris Chibnall and the BBC in general, yet they stay up on YouTube.

It’s all very topical what with politicians wetting themselves and making it seem like “anonymous” social media is the biggest problem facing the Country. I would have thought that if an anonymous Twitter account tells an MP they are F-Ing scum or whatever it’s pretty easy to get the IP address of said account. I’m fairly sure there’s been prosecutions resulting In imprisonments of individuals who said nasty things to politicians via an “anonymous” social media account. I wager that most individuals engaged in being abusive towards MPs are not using the highest level of encryption. Thus banning of anonymous social media seems to me ridiculous when there’s already sufficient powers to hold individuals to account.
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

aldinblack wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 16:20

nothing really before that I guess, although both bands had a tendency to do long instrumental breaks within their songs, which is probably one of the main reasons I like them so much..
Yeah, I have never seen the stranglers as having much of a Floyd influence, the heavy reverb bass on “One of these days” sounds vaguely like something JJ might have done with the bass solo on Midnight Summer Dream I suppose, but of course JJ sounded better, and Pink Floyd aren’t even near the same league as The Stranglers, though as I say I do rate some of their music. I bet Hugh likes the Syd Barret era Floyd, some of his solo material sounds vaguely reminiscent of them, but only very vaguely
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

Jake wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 18:02
aldinblack wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 16:20

Yeah, I have never seen the stranglers as having much of a Floyd influence, the heavy reverb bass on “One of these days” sounds vaguely like something JJ might have done with the bass solo on Midnight Summer Dream I suppose, but of course JJ sounded better, and Pink Floyd aren’t even near the same league as The Stranglers, though as I say I do rate some of their music. I bet Hugh likes the Syd Barret era Floyd, some of his solo material sounds vaguely reminiscent of them, but only very vaguely
I love Pink Floyd and can't really see any similarity between the two bands. To say The Stranglers are superior is your prerogative of course but I would have to disagree. Even the Waters-less track 'High Hopes'' is several leagues above anything on DM. 'One of these Days' is a bass classic. That rhythmic delay drives the song and the middle part with additional effects is extraordinary. JJ messing around at the end of MSD with a bit of delay really isn't in the same league. Maybe 'Breathe' is a step in the same direction as PF but that's about it I'd say.
Let's Boogie
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

markorbit wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 18:51
I love Pink Floyd and can't really see any similarity between the two bands. To say The Stranglers are superior is your prerogative of course but I would have to disagree. Even the Waters-less track 'High Hopes'' is several leagues above anything on DM. 'One of these Days' is a bass classic. That rhythmic delay drives the song and the middle part with additional effects is extraordinary. JJ messing around at the end of MSD with a bit of delay really isn't in the same league. Maybe 'Breathe' is a step in the same direction as PF but that's about it I'd say.

Damn I knew I should have said in my opinion. I like Waters as a song writer a lot, not bad bass player, but JJs style is my preference.
Apart from the title, I don’t see “Breathe” being very Floyd, possibly more Doors like. I’ve heard someone else mentioning a similarity to Genesis. My only knowledge of Genesis is that good awful “Invisible Touch” era, I’ve never felt inclined towards listening to any early Genesis irrespective of how good others might have told me it is.