Feature Classic Rock

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Feature Classic Rock

Post by Greatkudu »

Hugh certainly doesn't help his perception of his character by some of his mean spirited comments a few years ago about the Stranglers lineup, but I know there's always two sides, it reminds me of the classic Laurel and Hardy short film Tit for Tat, if you have seen it, you will know what I mean? And its comic Genius to. Lt Kudu.
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

StanInBlack wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 13:19
theraven1979 wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 12:49 That's how it initially came out then JJ seemed to spin it into this anti-Hugh thing. Particularly now with the new album promotion.
Indeed. It's funny how it keeps cropping up in every single interview JJ seems to be doing for the new record.
It must be tiresome for JJ and Hugh that in almost every interview they’re asked about getting back together, even after over 30 years of both parties saying it’s not going to happen.
The same anecdotes will also keep arising, because there’s not a lot new to say.
Maybe DM being successful will shift future questions slightly, but I doubt it, as even more interviews will come from 2nd rate journalists and presenters who’s knowledge of the band and their history is limited to a quick Google search prior to the interview.
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Yep - very odd! And obviously one sided and on top of that I think the fans are beginning to realise Hugh's not the root cause here.

Jim
StanInBlack wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 13:19
theraven1979 wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 12:49 That's how it initially came out then JJ seemed to spin it into this anti-Hugh thing. Particularly now with the new album promotion.
Indeed. It's funny how it keeps cropping up in every single interview JJ seems to be doing for the new record.
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Yanders »

Its possible that neither Hugh nor JJ take each others comments that seriously, and just roll their eyes when the other goes off on one.
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

StanInBlack wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 11:31
8088 wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 11:22 Without Hugh they'll never have the songs but 'the sound' is very easy to emulate - and for a lot of people that's enough.
It really isn't though, because no line-up post-MKI has been able to truly emulate it even with the presence of 2 or 3 original members in the band. It literally has to be those four exact people to create that exact sound.
I disagree.

Relentless is far more Stranglers than Mad Hatter.

That song has no place anywhere as far as I can see.
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

jetblacksdad wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 16:04 Relentless is far more Stranglers than Mad Hatter.
Hmmyeah, no. And I say that as someone who would rank "Mad Hatter" towards the bottom end of the MKI table.
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

I’m with jetblacksdad on this one, for me Relentless is a classic Stranglers track, write up there with their best; whereas Mad Hatter is one of the poorest things the Stranglers have written and recorded across their 18 albums.
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by 8088 »

Bear Cage wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 18:39 I’m with jetblacksdad on this one, for me Relentless is a classic Stranglers track, write up there with their best; whereas Mad Hatter is one of the poorest things the Stranglers have written and recorded across their 18 albums.
Ah...that driving, rasping bass, that sinewy twang of the telecaster and those rippling scale runs on Dave's keys - it can only be Mad Hatter...
Yukio!
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Yukio! »

8088 wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 19:35
Bear Cage wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 18:39 I’m with jetblacksdad on this one, for me Relentless is a classic Stranglers track, write up there with their best; whereas Mad Hatter is one of the poorest things the Stranglers have written and recorded across their 18 albums.
Ah...that driving, rasping bass, that sinewy twang of the telecaster and those rippling scale runs on Dave's keys - it can only be Mad Hatter...
:lol: Mad Hatter is without a doubt on of the worst songs any Stranglers lineup released. In One Door should have been on the album, would have been an excellent choice to end AS with.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Yukio! wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 19:51 Mad Hatter is without a doubt on of the worst songs any Stranglers lineup released. In One Door should have been on the album, would have been an excellent choice to end AS with.
I find Mad Hatter quite inoffensive, but ultimately I agree - I think Aural Sculpture could only have been strengthened by the inclusion of some of the fantastic songs they had at the time that didn't make it onto the album. "In One Door", "Head on the Line", possibly "Here and There" - it was a great songwriting period for them.
Yukio!
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Yukio! »

StanInBlack wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 19:56
Yukio! wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 19:51 Mad Hatter is without a doubt on of the worst songs any Stranglers lineup released. In One Door should have been on the album, would have been an excellent choice to end AS with.
I find Mad Hatter quite inoffensive, but ultimately I agree - I think Aural Sculpture could only have been strengthened by the inclusion of some of the fantastic songs they had at the time that didn't make it onto the album. "In One Door", "Head on the Line", possibly "Here and There" - it was a great songwriting period for them.
It’s weak ending to a fantastic album. All those B-sides you mention were great songs and would have been so much more fitting, but I particular like ‘In One Door’, Hugh’s vocals are brilliant on it.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Yukio! wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 20:33 I particular like ‘In One Door’, Hugh’s vocals are brilliant on it.
I agree, I think it has a beautiful melody and the emotion in Hugh's voice comes across so well.