Dark Matters - Second Thoughts

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Dark Matters - Second Thoughts

Post by StanInBlack »

toilerinblack wrote: 25 Jan 2022, 20:13 The Stranglers are still selling out gigs over 30 odd years on from Dreamtime
It's the same people going to all of the gigs year after year and dragging their mates and their kids along to bulk up the numbers. Also, they're (by which I mean a band that doesn't resemble The Stranglers at all but which plays in front of a backdrop with "The Stranglers" written on it regardless) playing a show tonight which isn't sold out at all. First gig of the tour after a 2 year wait - not sold out. Makes you think.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

toilerinblack wrote: 25 Jan 2022, 20:13 are still releasing very good material
:lol:

(and that's just me chuckling at the THOUGHT of "No Man's Land")
toilerinblack wrote: 25 Jan 2022, 20:13 why should they stop?
Because it's no longer credible and sullies a good name built on the excellence of their first 9 albums. Never before in the history of The Stranglers' brand has it ever felt more like a cash grab than it does now.
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

StanInBlack wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 00:49
toilerinblack wrote: 25 Jan 2022, 20:13 are still releasing very good material
:lol:

(and that's just me chuckling at the THOUGHT of "No Man's Land")
toilerinblack wrote: 25 Jan 2022, 20:13 why should they stop?
Because it's no longer credible and sullies a good name built on the excellence of their first 9 albums. Never before in the history of The Stranglers' brand has it ever felt more like a cash grab than it does now.
You can wallow in your nostalgia for what you think was (and dream you’d actually experienced) whilst throwing out brickbats at what followed. The rest of us will continue to enjoy what is, what was and what’s to come.
Thankfully The Stranglers continue, have a large following, both live and on record (as the success of Dark Matters demonstrates) and keep adding quality to their canon. It’s not going to last forever, but long may it continue.

(I know I’m repeating myself, but…)
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Bear Cage wrote:
theraven1979 wrote: 25 Jan 2022, 10:09 Everyone has a choice. Do what feels right. Some of the best live gigs I've witnessed were from the early 90s MKII Stranglers.

Jim
theraven1979 wrote: 25 Jan 2022, 09:23 Can only agree. Even JJ would rather the 90s never happened.

Jim

And? I can't change JJ's mind can I?

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

StanInBlack wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 00:43
toilerinblack wrote: 25 Jan 2022, 20:13 The Stranglers are still selling out gigs over 30 odd years on from Dreamtime
It's the same people going to all of the gigs year after year and dragging their mates and their kids along to bulk up the numbers. Also, they're (by which I mean a band that doesn't resemble The Stranglers at all but which plays in front of a backdrop with "The Stranglers" written on it regardless) playing a show tonight which isn't sold out at all. First gig of the tour after a 2 year wait - not sold out. Makes you think.
Could be that some are hesitant or reluctant about enclosed spaces and crowds after all the shit going on for 2 plus years . Everyone has reasons for going or not going . You obviously have a choice , I still haven't made my mind up but considering I haven't thought much about it any way I am probably not going .......nothing to do with current line up , Dark Matters or anything.....it might be I just prefer the memories. Might change my mind but also work comes into things and I have no time off until March ,working nights makes gigs a no goer unless it's nearby on a weekend . Such is life 😁🤔
All quiet ..........
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

Bear Cage wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 01:22 (I know I’m repeating myself, but…)
You might as well, everybody else does.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

droopsnoot wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 10:26
Bear Cage wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 01:22 (I know I’m repeating myself, but…)
You might as well, everybody else does.
I suppose after 40 plus years there's not much left to say 😁.
All quiet ..........
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Jon the Impaler wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 08:54 Could be that some are hesitant or reluctant about enclosed spaces and crowds after all the shit going on for 2 plus years
That's certainly one of the factors, but obviously (from what I've seen) not the only one. Even on the dates which are listed as "sold out", there are people all over the place trying to get rid of their tickets for one reason or another, whether that be for COVID related reasons or other reasons...
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

I listened to “Un Jour Parfait” earlier, haven’t played “Dark Matters” once this year and don’t find it calling me. It’s maybe not a fair comparison but I prefer JJs solo album from 1989 to the most recent Stranglers albums. Someone was saying something about nostalgia and an idealised version of the stranglers earlier in this thread. The song I like the most on DM is the one people hate the most probably, “Down” is probably my favourite on Dark Matters from what I remember. I don’t think there’s anything that stand out, “Dave” was welcomed a lot at the time as a tribute to a much missed legend. JJs other vocals, “Water” and “Stallion”, they are alright, but not as good as anything on Un Jour Parfait by a long stretch to my mind. I was also thinking that Un Jour Parfait came out around the same period as Hugh Cornwell’s “Wolf” and The Stranglers “Ten”, and Un Jour Parfait is a superior album to both in my opinion. I don’t find Dark Matters as creative and with as much depth as Un Jour Parfait, and that’s just on the JJ numbers, I don’t have a hugely positive opinion on the Baz lead tracks, but not here to knock them either…
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

I agree Un jour parfait is a great album and much better than Wolf imo. I also like the track Down a lot now. I didn't like it all when I first saw the video of them playing it live. There was quite a few tracks I didn't like much on Dark Matters at first but they've all grown on me. I hated No man's land on first listen but love it now! The only track I'm not quite sure about is Breathe. It's quite good but possibly my least favourite on the album. I didn't like The Lines at first either but I quite like it now.
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Jake wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 18:21 I listened to “Un Jour Parfait” earlier, haven’t played “Dark Matters” once this year and don’t find it calling me. It’s maybe not a fair comparison but I prefer JJs solo album from 1989 to the most recent Stranglers albums. Someone was saying something about nostalgia and an idealised version of the stranglers earlier in this thread. The song I like the most on DM is the one people hate the most probably, “Down” is probably my favourite on Dark Matters from what I remember. I don’t think there’s anything that stand out, “Dave” was welcomed a lot at the time as a tribute to a much missed legend. JJs other vocals, “Water” and “Stallion”, they are alright, but not as good as anything on Un Jour Parfait by a long stretch to my mind. I was also thinking that Un Jour Parfait came out around the same period as Hugh Cornwell’s “Wolf” and The Stranglers “Ten”, and Un Jour Parfait is a superior album to both in my opinion. I don’t find Dark Matters as creative and with as much depth as Un Jour Parfait, and that’s just on the JJ numbers, I don’t have a hugely positive opinion on the Baz lead tracks, but not here to knock them either…
I liked Fire & Water , superb album . Would have to listen UJP as I have forgotten it now , sure it would be pretty good though . I listened to DM this week for the first time since at least Xmas , it's good imo though Down definitely not to my taste ( bleedin acoustic guitar) . I did say that though there are 6 songs I like , non would make my all time favourite list , but then those songs on that list are superb and it would also include stuff post Hugh, though I guess like the live set 75% plus of the best are M1 lineup.
Must give UJP a listen . Never heard Wolf so can't comment .
All quiet ..........
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

I wouldn't say Un Jour Parfait was better than Wolf, but I still rank it far higher than Dark Matters or pretty much everything released by the Stranglers' brand post-90.