Dark Matters - Second Thoughts

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Dark Matters - Second Thoughts

Post by StanInBlack »

toilerinblack wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 20:41 There's nothing more to add what i think is timeless so i'm out of the conversation then we all think differently and i still stand by songs can sound timeless,maybe my understanding is different to others so that's it really.
So you haven't understood this discussion at all, then - glad we've cleared that one up.
alaninblack
Rats Rally

Post by alaninblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 20:47 So you haven't understood this discussion at all, then - glad we've cleared that one up.
Hugh seem to think that ALL the Stranglers MK1 music is "timeless", go figure

Q: In the 25 years since you left The Stranglers, do you think any differently about that music you made with the group or really the experience as a whole?
A: I always look back fondly on that time, which I feel created a timeless catalogue of songs. I hope the remaining band members feel the same.
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

Perhaps Stan can sit Hugh down and tell him where he's going wrong.
Glad we cleared that up.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

alaninblack wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 21:59 Hugh seem to think that ALL the Stranglers MK1 music is "timeless", go figure
Yeah? Well, he's wrong - all the Stranglers MKI stuff sounds the way it does because of the time period in which it was written and recorded, and they're all historical snapshots of the way the people involved were at that time. I can listen to Aural Sculpture all I like and enjoy it as much as I ever have in 2021, but this has no bearing on the fact that's an album recorded and mixed using the technology of the time for the audience of the time.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I think collectively he's right. If you were to zone in and peel away the onion layers on small parts of the back catalogue then you could argue against it. However, if you compare a band who didn't have the artistic freedom that the stranglers did then yeah compared to them they are timeless

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Off course any album is a catalogue of the technology of the time period, ie the Raven, Dave was using bigger keyboards by then that made the sound fuller, and Feline Jet was using electronic drums that were popular at that period, so of course any album recorded over 30 years ago will sound dated with the recording technique and the equipment of the time, but it doesn't matter really, as a good song will sound good however old, a great example is Heartbreak Hotel by the King, still sounds as good as it ever did, because its a fucking great song and vocal by the King, but at the time the production was quite a head of its time. And I think DMs does sound modern with the production whether you actually like the album or not. Lt Kudu.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

You've pretty much grasped the point of what I was saying. "Heartbreak Hotel", obviously a classic record and historically a major record in the development of rock'n'roll - none of that can be denied. Do people still get enjoyment out of that record now? Absolutely. However, none of this makes "Heartbreak Hotel" timeless. As a recording it's firmly of its time and dated to its time, and that's part of what makes it an important historical document. Listening to it now in 2021, you get the sense of the recording standards of the time from the recording itself and achieve the realisation of how far music has developed since then. But as you say, and like I said earlier, this doesn't matter because part of the appeal of the recording is the fact that it *is* a historical document and redolent of a particular time.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 22:25 Off course any album is a catalogue of the technology of the time period, ie the Raven, Dave was using bigger keyboards by then that made the sound fuller, and Feline Jet was using electronic drums that were popular at that period, so of course any album recorded over 30 years ago will sound dated with the recording technique and the equipment of the time, but it doesn't matter really, as a good song will sound good however old, a great example is Heartbreak Hotel by the King, still sounds as good as it ever did, because its a fucking great song and vocal by the King, but at the time the production was quite a head of its time. And I think DMs does sound modern with the production whether you actually like the album or not. Lt Kudu.
Good old Heartbreak hotel what a classic song from the past from the king i agree and with it's production ahead of time and yes DM sounds modern especially with it's fresh and modern production from Louie's efforts and yet some songs still have that typical classic stranglers sound to them which overall gives fan's i think choice and variety to so many different styled songs something for the most to enjoy i say.
Grayo Matters!
SHAKESPEARO

Post by Grayo Matters! »

Well I'm still listening to it. Every week when I walk my dogs. I walk the dogs 7 times a week. 'nuff saudy. Breathe is still my favourite. Love JJ"s reflective lyrics on Lines and Down. Baz has come into his own on this album. Superb vocal delivery. And his songs are the best imho. Love the album. Peace out x
redinblack62
SHAKESPEARO

Post by redinblack62 »

Grayo Matters! wrote: 13 Jan 2022, 18:15 Well I'm still listening to it. Every week when I walk my dogs. I walk the dogs 7 times a week. 'nuff saudy. Breathe is still my favourite. Love JJ"s reflective lyrics on Lines and Down. Baz has come into his own on this album. Superb vocal delivery. And his songs are the best imho. Love the album. Peace out x
I'm still listening to it as well, and apart from "Water", which I liked live, and "Dave" because its such a wonderful tribute, I'm struggling to find anything that makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck. Theres some good stuff there, and some not so, but maybe its just me...probably is.

But to be fair I am like that with a lot of music now, stuff is lauded as being fantastic so I give it a listen and think "well its not bad........" or "Ive heard this before...."
Thats Really Not Cool
Grayo Matters!
SHAKESPEARO

Post by Grayo Matters! »

Yeah I can see where you're coming from. A long, LONG time ago 😃, my whole life involved around music. When you're approaching 60 it doesn't seem to matter as much anymore.X
redinblack62
SHAKESPEARO

Post by redinblack62 »

Grayo Matters! wrote: 13 Jan 2022, 19:15 Yeah I can see where you're coming from. A long, LONG time ago 😃, my whole life involved around music. When you're approaching 60 it doesn't seem to matter as much anymore.X
I try not to be a cynical old bugger, but fail miserably
Thats Really Not Cool