Dark Matters - Second Thoughts

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Re: Dark Matters - Second Thoughts

Post by Jake »

ozymandias wrote: 18 Oct 2021, 09:44

The first couple of listens I thought Baz's vocals pretty much ruined every track, but having lived with the LP for a few weeks they've actually bedded in nicely.

Down could really benefit from a better vocal performance - JJ's diction sounds likes he's not quite got used to his new teeth.
Ouch, I quite like his voice, I think he’s going a bit Jacques Brel so am very keen to hear the French version.

I’ve gone through phases, liking the album a lot initially, then finding myself more critical, and now revisiting and quite liking it, liking it a lot in places. I think Baz’s worst vocal by far is “This Song”, it sounds like he’s not really sure of himself, like he’s spitting out words that don’t sound all that sincere, maybe because it’s a cover, and I certainly prefer his voice on songs that he was involved in the writing process for as opposed to songs originally sung by Hugh, so that could have something to do with it.
Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Yanders »

I think one of the reasons that this song didn't get any real air play is because of Baz's vocals.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

Yanders wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 13:16 I think one of the reasons that this song didn't get any real air play is because of Baz's vocals.
Yes maybe singing in an aggressive manner doesn't help get airplay but then again the other songs were ignored as by the main stations.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

jason wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 13:24
Yanders wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 13:16 I think one of the reasons that this song didn't get any real air play is because of Baz's vocals.
Yes maybe singing in an aggressive manner doesn't help get airplay but then again the other songs were ignored as by the main stations.
I think it's less that he's "singing in an aggressive manner" and more the fact that it sounds terrible.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Rubbish...about Baz's vocals on DM and especially the acoustic sessions lovely sounding vocals.So if his vocals are crap how do people rate down?
Last edited by toilerinblack on 20 Oct 2021, 23:09, edited 6 times in total.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

toilerinblack wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 22:57 Rubbish...about Baz's vocals on DM and especially the acoustic sessions lovely sounding vocals.So if his vocals are crap how do people rate Down?
Probably because Baz doesn't sing on it. In any case, I don't rate "Down" at all.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Everybody to their own i think his vocals like i say especially the acoustic sessions have been really good with some great harmonising between the two of them Baz & jj some of their best i've heard.Yes Baz is no Paul on the vocal front for sure but i think he's brought out the best in this band post Hugh overall with the band's sound for sure.I've been really impressed with his whole input to this album,i can't knock him.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 20 Oct 2021, 23:15, edited 2 times in total.
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

Overall Baz does a very good job on vocals on DM.
This Song is probably the worst on the album vocally.

For me Baz is a vocalist that can either sound very good or not very good at all, depending on what he's singing.

I agree that on acoustic songs he normally sounds great.
I Hate You !
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

aldinblack wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 23:14 Overall Baz does a very good job on vocals on DM.
This Song is probably the worst on the album vocally.

For me Baz is a vocalist that can either sound very good or not very good at all, depending on what he's singing.

I agree that on acoustic songs he normally sounds great.
Yes your spot on there he does sound good and not at times and on acoustic song's especially live he's at his best with the stranglers and even more as a solo artist,some of his solo acoustic vocals have been really nice which does suit his style vocals like Paul much better.It's the old stranglers thing with aggression that i think never suited Paul at all especially the mk1 hugh aggression stuff.Saying that nobody could sing Tuckers Grave and alot of WIR & NC like Paul he was out on his own there,so it's swings and roundabouts i think.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I don't think Baz is a bad singer. However, sometimes he over does it. It's almost like trying to make the vocal "punk" or some weird version of what he thinks "The Stranglers" vocal should be.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 23:05 Everybody to their own i think his vocals like i say especially the acoustic sessions have been really good with some great harmonising between the two of them Baz & jj some of their best i've heard.Yes Baz is no Paul on the vocal front for sure but i think he's brought out the best in this band post Hugh overall with the band's sound for sure.I've been really impressed with his whole input to this album,i can't knock him.
OK Ive had some upsetting news, won't go into it, I'm getting a bit fucking bored by some peoples negative view of Mr Warnes vocals, Sir I agree with all you say here, how many times to some people have to slag Baz? I mean give the man a break, he's done a cracking job with this album end of.Lt Kudu.
Last edited by Greatkudu on 21 Oct 2021, 09:31, edited 1 time in total.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

No its because the people who decide what is played on radio are a bunch of Le Tosseurs and I love the Bee Gees, see what I did their.? Lt Kudu. :smt005