Dark Matters - Second Thoughts

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Dark Matters - Second Thoughts

Post by Bear Cage »

jason wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 17:19
Bear Cage wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 13:50
giants wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 12:35 …I think its a great album to sign off with. There will be no more…
I wouldn’t be sure on that, from the recent interviews it appears one of the fall outs of “no more full tours”, is “a better balance between playing live and recording” so we might get something. I think a lot depends upon how they will feel after the two years or so of touring DM.
JJ always said he had hundreds of ideas so if they aren't touring so much then maybe they will find the time for another album or at least release a few new songs online etc.
Hopefully
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

jason wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 17:19 JJ always said he had hundreds of ideas so if they aren't touring so much then maybe they will find the time for another album or at least release a few new songs online etc.
He always says they change the set every night too, so I wouldn't get too excited. I'd like to hear more, though.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

droopsnoot wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 19:17
jason wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 17:19 JJ always said he had hundreds of ideas so if they aren't touring so much then maybe they will find the time for another album or at least release a few new songs online etc.
He always says they change the set every night too, so I wouldn't get too excited. I'd like to hear more, though.
To be fair they do change set slightly most nights, drop one or two songs and replace, but you would expect any band to drastically change a set on a big tour as it would have to link up with production etc. Lt Kudu.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

droopsnoot wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 19:17
Yes I'm not too optimistic! Hopefully there could a few more tracks though.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

giants wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 12:35 I think its a great album to sign off with.
The Stranglers blew their opportunity to end on a high a long time ago, by which I mean after the Dreamtime album and tour. Having said that, Giants and Dark Matters taken together do seem to signify some sort of creative death and are only acceptable to those that would accept anything with The Stranglers' logo on it. Since those in charge of the brand have already decided that nothing is sacred, I'd expect at least one or two "pretend Stranglers" tracks (which are really JJ Burnel solo tracks with Baz and other hired hands guesting, or JJ Burnel & Friends if you'd like) in the future that, like a lot
of material released under the brand name post-Hugh, adds absolutely nothing at all to the legacy built on the first 10 albums.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

A great quick 1.39 on youtube of 'This Song' ParKour BTs with the stuntmen,what i did think was This song which is being played as an instrumental sounded bloody great like that too,just goes to show just how good the music is to this cover by them is,worth a quick watch if you haven't already.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

StanInBlack wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 20:19
The Stranglers blew their opportunity to end on a high a long time ago, by which I mean after the Dreamtime album and tour. Having said that, Giants and Dark Matters taken together do seem to signify some sort of creative death and are only acceptable to those that would accept anything with The Stranglers' logo on it. Since those in charge of the brand have already decided that nothing is sacred, I'd expect at least one or two "pretend Stranglers" tracks (which are really JJ Burnel solo tracks with Baz and other hired hands guesting, or JJ Burnel & Friends if you'd like) in the future that, like a lot
of material released under the brand name post-Hugh, adds absolutely nothing at all to the legacy built on the first 10 albums.
How to rain on people's parade, dont hold back will you. Lt Kudu. :smt013
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 20:19
For me that's not the case at all,the legacy on the first 10 albums will always be my best too and that's never in question agreed as i'm an MK1 and Hugh fan through and through,but MK's post Hugh can never be compared anyway as they are a continuous on going one band an entity as we have all discussed so many times before.Post Hugh they have built up their own good reputation with some great albums for sure and i think they deserve their respects for producing some good albums along with a high standard of gigs also for the past 30 years post Hugh, they certainly have my respects for what they have done post Hugh.
I have really enjoyed about three and some of four of their albums post Hugh so i'm glad they continued on and have just also released a belter of an album with DM regardless of Hugh, so good on them is my take on it,but as usual each to their own.
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

I listened to the whole thing today for the first time in ages ( well , months ) .My last listen was probably pre Xmas and then I would have skipped Lines , Down and Breathe . Now , having listened to the whole album again........I think I will still skip Lines , Breathe and Down in the future , actually thiug I discovered what it was about Breathe and Down I don't like ......same as Lines ,acoustic guitar , which previously due to not liking the sound much I had ignored , or forgotten .The rest of it is pretty much ok to good though, Dave and If Something are reasonable as is No man's land , the rest I like with the stand outs for me White Stallion , Water and Moon ..........having said that I would rate those at around 8/10 and probably not among my all time favourites , but then considering the band's very best that's not slating them .
All quiet ..........
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

I don't think this band at all should of quit after Dreamtime,there was 10 with more great Hugh sung songs that we wouldn't of heard of along too with it's good tour and i wouldn't of got to have seen Hugh and JJ in the fog to a stunning Toiler at the Pally and even though they were in the wilderness post Hugh i feel for years they did eventually find their way again with a few very good albums,but quitting after Dreamtime certainly i think sells this band's further material short and down the river.Have they been in Hugh's standards post '90 no not for me but saying that i'm glad they did for i still play tracks post Hugh like ...Here,Time to die,Relentless the list is endless and not to mention the whole of NC and now DM which for me is a lot of material combined that i would of never of got to hear by them had they quit way back in the eighties,so i'm glad both camps have continued on for sure past Dreamtime.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

If they'd given up after Dreamtime I would never had seen them! :shock:
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

jason wrote: 24 Jan 2022, 20:06 If they'd given up after Dreamtime I would never had seen them! :shock:
There has been so much great stuff, both live and on record, since Dreamtime, it’d have been a tragedy if they’d stopped, the occasional lows are more than compensated for by the exceptional brilliance of the highs, which include Dark Matters.
Last edited by Bear Cage on 24 Jan 2022, 22:07, edited 1 time in total.
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.