Dark Matters - Daily Express

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Frederik
Ugly
Ugly

Dark Matters - Daily Express

Post by Frederik »

Garry Bushell review
The Stranglers' Dark Matters: King of the keys bows out on a high
https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment ... ng-of-keys
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Re: Dark Matters - Daily Express

Post by Jake »

Not a fan of Gary Bushell, glad he likes it, but hardly an in-depth analysis. For someone who is always boasting about how big their IQ is, this review is seriously lacking, and of course he ignores the influence of the track Water being the Arab spring, if it’s not slagging off foreigners journalists of his ilk obviously don’t get it
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

Same review was in the Mirror, wasn't it? Same group of papers, and I did think the same about the comment on the meaning of "Water".
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

droopsnoot wrote: 11 Sep 2021, 13:09 Same review was in the Mirror, wasn't it? Same group of papers, and I did think the same about the comment on the meaning of "Water".
He seems to be getting the concept of LMOTM mixed up with Water, wouldn’t t be surprised if he didn’t really listen to the album, but fortunately decided to be favourable about it. It’s definitely an album you could discern the feel of if you don’t pay much attention but have on on loud enough in the background

Quite what he means by “best album in decades” I don’t know, it’s been a whole decade since the last stranglers album, and the best part of a decade for the albums before that. It’s anybody’s guess what the last stranglers album he actually liked was, being the champion of Oi! I’m not sure he’s going to rate much after B&W

Even though I don’t rate his politics and journalism at least he ends the review on RIP Dave Greenfield
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Jake wrote: 11 Sep 2021, 21:31
droopsnoot wrote: 11 Sep 2021, 13:09 Same review was in the Mirror, wasn't it? Same group of papers, and I did think the same about the comment on the meaning of "Water".
He seems to be getting the concept of LMOTM mixed up with Water, wouldn’t t be surprised if he didn’t really listen to the album, but fortunately decided to be favourable about it. It’s definitely an album you could discern the feel of if you don’t pay much attention but have on on loud enough in the background

Quite what he means by “best album in decades” I don’t know, it’s been a whole decade since the last stranglers album, and the best part of a decade for the albums before that. It’s anybody’s guess what the last stranglers album he actually liked was, being the champion of Oi! I’m not sure he’s going to rate much after B&W

Even though I don’t rate his politics and journalism at least he ends the review on RIP Dave Greenfield
Gary Bushell always liked the Stranglers, but I'm afraid his endorsement of the Oi thing put me off him, I hated that type of Punk, but he obviously loves the Stranglers. Lt Kudu.
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

Totally agree Greatkudu, Oi! Is very musically and lyrically limiting g and very mind numbing to have to listen to/be around
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

Greatkudu wrote: 11 Sep 2021, 22:33
Jake wrote: 11 Sep 2021, 21:31

Gary Bushell always liked the Stranglers, but I'm afraid his endorsement of the Oi thing put me off him, I hated that type of Punk, but he obviously loves the Stranglers. Lt Kudu.
I quite liked some of those bands , but many aren't oi , they were either around before oi , like Sham , Upstarts , Slaughter or simply weren't oi , just used bands to pad out the album's......Toy Dolls , Test Tubes , hell I even think they had UK subs on one . True oi were the likes of Business , Last Resort , 4 Skins , maybe Rejects .......it was mainly football terrace inspired stuff like Sham ( but they weren't ) . I did like it for the most part though . Guess I just liked punk generally but I also liked the Crass genre who these hated.....oh yes plus The Exploited .
Bushell hated Discharge with a vengeance .
All quiet ..........
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

Jon the Impaler wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 14:46 Bushell hated Discharge with a vengeance .
Didn’t he call Discharge something along the lines of “musical equivalent of sniffing glue”.
One of the few non 77 punk bands I can tolerate, great band when Cal Morris was on vocals , before their metal phases and relegation to being yet another karaoke punk tribute act.
I read somewhere Discharge formed after they went to see the stranglers in Stoke on Trent in the Rattus days. Discharge are considered very influential, just goes to show what Gary Bushell thought of them.
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

Jake wrote: 11 Sep 2021, 21:31 He seems to be getting the concept of LMOTM mixed up with Water
In fairness, when I heard the track live I thought the line was "Water has gone", when in fact it's the opposite.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

droopsnoot wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 19:02
Jake wrote: 11 Sep 2021, 21:31 He seems to be getting the concept of LMOTM mixed up with Water
In fairness, when I heard the track live I thought the line was "Water has gone", when in fact it's the opposite.
Live, that’s different, even if an advance copy doesn’t have the lyrics, a good journalist would do a bit more research surely. I haven’t seen the stranglers live in a decade, but was aware for some time that the opening track of the new album took inspiration from the Arab Spring. Even a casual listen to the lyrics suggests Bushell didn’t really pay much attention.