Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Re: Manics - Ultra Vivid Lament

Post by parasiteinblack »

8088 wrote: 18 Sep 2021, 15:18
parasiteinblack wrote: 18 Sep 2021, 15:06 Have you checked out Futurology? There's some great stuff on there.
Yes, I'm sure there were songs I liked - same as with most of their later albums, it's just they never get fixed in memory - more of a "too much to listen too - too little time" effect than a qualitative judgement.
Yes that's fair enough, I've found that with most of their albums since Lifeblood really, but Futurology managed to stick more than the others.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

I underrated Postcards from a Young Man quite a fair bit when it was first released, probably because Journal for Plague Lovers (and Send Away the Tigers before it - yes, I know, Jim, I know!) had turned out so well, but nowadays I find there's a hell of a lot to like about it - "Some Kind of Nothingness", for example, was a song that I didn't really think much to either way back in 2010 that started to come into its own later. The middle 8 where the arrangement breaks down and the choir starts soaring is one of my favourite moments in their catalogue now.
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 18 Sep 2021, 16:50 I underrated Postcards from a Young Man quite a fair bit when it was first released, probably because Journal for Plague Lovers (and Send Away the Tigers before it - yes, I know, Jim, I know!) had turned out so well, but nowadays I find there's a hell of a lot to like about it - "Some Kind of Nothingness", for example, was a song that I didn't really think much to either way back in 2010 that started to come into its own later. The middle 8 where the arrangement breaks down and the choir starts soaring is one of my favourite moments in their catalogue now.
Yes I like that one too, it's probably the track I listen to most from that album.
I thought "It's Not War" was a bit too by-the-numbers although I seem to remember the single having some decent bsides.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Lifeblood. So under rated. SATT is pure cock rock

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

theraven1979 wrote: 18 Sep 2021, 17:13 SATT is pure cock rock Image
...and there it is! :lol:

What about Generation Terrorists, though? You can pretty much still smell the hairspray coming off that! :lol:
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

StanInBlack wrote:
theraven1979 wrote: 18 Sep 2021, 17:13 SATT is pure cock rock Image
...and there it is! Image

What about Generation Terrorists, though? You can pretty much still smell the hairspray coming off that! Image
Oh yeah agreed!

Jim

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Diapause is ridiculously good. File next to the "how do you write this shit?"

Jim

StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

I still get tracks from JDB's last solo album stuck in my head on occasion, too!
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

There was no fanfare with this album release yet it's gone straight in at number 1 and contains some fine fine songs. Insane

Jim

jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

Well the Manics do get plenty of airplay so that must help and they've got a very commercial sound now. I do really like them through.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

jason wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 18:49 Well the Manics do get plenty of airplay so that must help and they've got a very commercial sound now. I do really like them through.
I've noticed you have this tendency to focus a lot on airplay. I'd argue that the Manics are big enough and their audience is so heavily invested in what they do that it wouldn't actually matter at this stage if their music got airplay or not. Their audience is huge and devoted and they've sold absolutely shit tons of albums in their career to the point where all they pretty much need to do is let their existing audience know the record exists and it'd sell a fuckton.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

StanInBlack wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 18:58
jason wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 18:49 Well the Manics do get plenty of airplay so that must help and they've got a very commercial sound now. I do really like them through.
I've noticed you have this tendency to focus a lot on airplay. I'd argue that the Manics are big enough and their audience is so heavily invested in what they do that it wouldn't actually matter at this stage if their music got airplay or not. Their audience is huge and devoted and they've sold absolutely shit tons of albums in their career to the point where all they pretty much need to do is let their existing audience know the record exists and it'd sell a fuckton.
Yes the Manics have a large fan base and deservedly so but their singles have had a lot of airplay so surely that might attract new fans and raise awareness to their more casual fans that they've got an album coming out. There might be some casual Stranglers fans who don't even know about Dark Matters.