Dark Matters - Initial Thoughts/Reviews

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Dark Matters - Initial Thoughts/Reviews

Post by theraven1979 »

Thought I'd start a new topic

Jim (yet to hear it)
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: Dark Matters - Initial Thoughts/Reviews

Post by theraven1979 »

Ok .....wish me luck....I'm going in!

Jim
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by 8088 »

Ugh....I'll copy and paste all my comments from last night then:

ELP vibes in Breathe?

Easily best post Hugh LP.

Studio version of Water wins me over - much better.

Still unpacking No Man's Land, Payday, Last Men, Stallion and Breathe...all great on first listen.

Payday would've been better without the contrasting middle eight.

Somehow Last Men On Moon reminds me of New Model Army?

Still got a big grin on my face :grin:

White Stallion...(volume goes up a few notches) "we'll be kissing in the rain" - this would be glorious with a video - 'Merica Star Spangled Banner clips and all....

No Mans's Land is a blast - Black & White isms to the fore :grin:

Payday - Great Hugh style solo in there :grin:

A belter - more than pleased, only 2 tracks I skip - that's great for any LP :grin:

I want a 12" megamix of White Stallion....with bigger drums and Reagan/Clinton/Bush/Obama/Trump/Biden samples :lol:
jeanjacketburnel
Rats Rally

Post by jeanjacketburnel »

Wtf is the postie? I only live 200 yards from the delivery office. I'll give them 10 more minutes then I'll be round banging on their door.
STEVE
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Water
Sounding a million times better than the live version IMO. JJ's bass and Dave's keys sounding immense. Seems to be lacking a melody though can't imagine whistling this for example. Repeated listening required I guess.

This Song
This is more like it. Contender for one of the best post Hugh songs they've recorded IMO.

And if You Should See Dave
This is the song they had to write. I can imagine plucking this song out for repeated listens in the future. JJ, Baz et al should be proud of this. A fitting tribute IMO. The finished song sounds different IMO. The guitar sounds stronger after the "..regret" bit. Or is that just me?

If Something's Gonna Kill Me
I think this is probably the strongest track on the album. Even with the fake trumpet at the end :lol: :smt008 - Classic 80s fadeout though - give in to it!

No Mans Land
Sounds like the Skids. Yeah quite like this. Maybe a touch of Soldiers Diary with Enough Time here. Lyrics are a tad cheesy.

Lines
No comment. Maybe I'll appreciate this in 20 years or something? Had to skip.

Payday
This just washed over me if I'm honest. Some nice bass from JJ.

Down
This got a bit of stick but I actually quite like it despite the Lionel Ritchie melodics. If JJ wrote a follow up to Un Jour Parfait I'd like to see songs like this on it.

The Last Men on The Moon
I like the vocal effect. Sounds a bit like Colin Newman. Some nice keyboard work from Dave.

White Stallion
Let's get a little bit funky! For me this could be one of the strongest on the album. Sounds like a bit of "new" Damned but that's no bad thing. Agree with 8088 you could imagine a George Bush sample over the operatic bit.

Breathe
Obviously a great way to close the album. Has elements of "Life's Too Short" to it.

So in general I think this is a better album than Giants. I think it's more consistent than Norfolk Coast but I think NC just pips it. I'm just glad they didn't release another Giants. I'm also glad they've stepped away from rock n roll standards and started to experiment a bit more musically.

Thanks to JJ, Baz, Jim, Louie and of course Dave :smt056

Jim
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

jeanjacketburnel wrote: 10 Sep 2021, 08:17 Wtf is the postie? I only live 200 yards from the delivery office. I'll give them 10 more minutes then I'll be round banging on their door.
Well just had a message my cd has been hijacked and is in Preston, arrives tomorrow. I have my Blunderbuss at the ready. Lt Kudu. :smt005
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by 8088 »

Water was the shocker for me - genuinely thought I didn't like it...but then those glorious keys come in....

Will be even better listening to the hi-res version.

Dave and Lines still get the skip though - no change there.
iain
Ugly
Ugly

Post by iain »

Once through, i like it.
Well, except White Stallion. That'll take a bit of effort, i think.
rotten thoughts
Russ65
Rats Rally

Post by Russ65 »

If you can’t wait for the postman it’s on Spotify guys
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

Initial thoughts is that it would have been nice if JJ sang a few more, and I actually really like Down. I prefer Baz singing his own numbers as opposed to the classics, of which I am not huge fan of, sorry not meaning to upset anyone, just personal preference, of the Baz songs “This Song” seemed to grab me the most

Sonically this album is impressive, and good to hear an album that gives a lot of space to the instruments, the drum sound is impressive considering it’s the first (and last) album without Jet. I think it’s perhaps better than Giants as a whole, it’s early days but that initial light night listen I’d say 7/10 with the potential that it’s a grower; fave tracks for the record; Water, Dave and Down but I do need a few more listens.
Josh
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Josh »

First impressions are good. Agree with Jake that sonically the album is impressive.
Never say goodbye,
For we'll all be with you someday,
Fond adieus but never say goodbye
MiB81
The Raven
The Raven

Post by MiB81 »

Bought the (vinyl) album back in May, it's due to be delivered by lunchtime today (Hurrah!)
Got an email from TM stores this morning offering digital copy of album, so forked out for
that too. So, my question- does this count as 2 purchases towards a chart placing? :smt102
...I'm making lists of all the people I love,
and all the cunts that should fuck off...