Dark Matters - Initial Thoughts/Reviews

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

fuzzguitars
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Re: Dark Matters - Initial Thoughts/Reviews

Post by fuzzguitars »

What is Hugh doing his last effort was poor so what is he trying to achieve? Dark Matters is the real deal I should not have mentioned Hugh he is well out of it. I am glad the new recording from the stranglers is so good.
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

fuzzguitars wrote:What is Hugh doing his last effort was poor so what is he trying to achieve? Dark Matters is the real deal I should not have mentioned Hugh he is well out of it. I am glad the new recording from the stranglers is so good.
Lol
I Hate You !
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

:smt005 :smt005

Comedy gold.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

The thing about Nosferatu and Euroman Cometh is that even though they're solo albums, they BOTH make sense as transitional albums in between what The Stranglers were doing on Black and White and The Raven. They fit snugly into the continuum of what the band were doing.

By the time of Wolf, Hugh's head was in a different space entirely - more smooth, more poppy - but that should have clear even from the records The Stranglers had out in the mid to late '80s.
alaninblack
Rats Rally

Post by alaninblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 21 Sep 2021, 21:01 Hugh's head was in a different space entirely - more smooth, more poppy - but that should have clear even from the records The Stranglers had out in the mid to late '80s.
Well said and spot on. But for me, that is what I did not like then, and still not now.
fuzzguitars
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by fuzzguitars »

StanInBlack wrote: 21 Sep 2021, 20:55 :smt005 :smt005

Comedy gold.
Hi stan I'm glad you found my comment so funny. I could use that term to discribe Hugh's solo "carreer" if you can call it that. Still dont like Monster its a poor effort bought by hardly anyone.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

To me (and others) Monster is quite possibly Hugh's best album since leaving The Stranglers. I don't know the selling figures (clearly you do) but I know it was well received and highly praised at the time. Both "The Stranglers" and Hugh don't sell that many records these days - who cares anyway. The fact that some of us are still applauding about it currently, years after release is always a good sign. I'm very happy with it and it gets played frequently.

Jim
fuzzguitars wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 13:33
StanInBlack wrote: 21 Sep 2021, 20:55 :smt005 :smt005

Comedy gold.
Hi stan I'm glad you found my comment so funny. I could use that term to discribe Hugh's solo "carreer" if you can call it that. Still dont like Monster its a poor effort bought by hardly anyone.
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

fuzzguitars wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 13:33 Hi stan I'm glad you found my comment so funny. I could use that term to discribe Hugh's solo "carreer" if you can call it that. Still dont like Monster its a poor effort bought by hardly anyone.

Oh, you're more than welcome :lol: You can "discribe" Hugh's "solo carreer" any way you like to be quite honest with you, but if it's a badly written argument with about as much depth as a puddle then I'm really gonna struggle to take you even the slightest bit seriously. I'd love to say "good effort", but it wasn't even that :lol:
fuzzguitars
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by fuzzguitars »

StanInBlack wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 13:49
fuzzguitars wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 13:33 Hi stan I'm glad you found my comment so funny. I could use that term to discribe Hugh's solo "carreer" if you can call it that. Still dont like Monster its a poor effort bought by hardly anyone.

Oh, you're more than welcome :lol: You can "discribe" Hugh's "solo carreer" any way you like to be quite honest with you, but if it's a badly written argument with about as much depth as a puddle then I'm really gonna struggle to take you even the slightest bit seriously. I'd love to say "good effort", but it wasn't even that :lol:
Stan you make me feel so welcome, I will leave your little board to you real fans goodbye.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

fuzzguitars wrote: 21 Sep 2021, 19:53 What is Hugh doing his last effort was poor so what is he trying to achieve? Dark Matters is the real deal I should not have mentioned Hugh he is well out of it. I am glad the new recording from the stranglers is so good.
Yes i agree i'm glad that DM is so good and so is Monster in my opinion too,it's up there with Hugh's other best album as a solo artist Guilty,The two are easily head and shoulders above any other solo album he has done in just my opinion, i have them both neck and neck well Guilty just in front as his best,i just hope we get another Monster type album from Hugh next year because i feel he got this one just right,but each to their own on albums.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 24 Sep 2021, 15:51, edited 1 time in total.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

fuzzguitars wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 17:40 Stan you make me feel so welcome, I will leave your little board to you real fans goodbye.
Bye!
theraven1979 wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 13:45 To me (and others) Monster is quite possibly Hugh's best album since leaving The Stranglers.
I love it (obviously) and "Bilko", "Duce Coochie Man" and "The Most Beautiful Girl in Hollywood" rank - to me - as being up there with his finest tracks. Albums-wise Monster is up against some tough competition: Wolf, Guilty, Hi Fi, Beyond Elysian Fields and Totem and Taboo are all ridiculously good records. The Stranglers without him have never attained that level of quality, although Norfolk Coast and Suite XVI were decent efforts.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 21:30
fuzzguitars wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 17:40 Stan you make me feel so welcome, I will leave your little board to you real fans goodbye.
Bye!
theraven1979 wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 13:45 To me (and others) Monster is quite possibly Hugh's best album since leaving The Stranglers.
I love it (obviously) and "Bilko", "Duce Coochie Man" and "The Most Beautiful Girl in Hollywood" rank - to me - as being up there with his finest tracks. Albums-wise Monster is up against some tough competition: Wolf, Guilty, Hi Fi, Beyond Elysian Fields and Totem and Taboo are all ridiculously good records. The Stranglers without him have never attained that level of quality, although Norfolk Coast and Suite XVI were decent efforts.
Yes i agree with you Stan it is up against tough competition because time after time he keeps producing quality i don't know how he keeps doing it still but he does and why a massive whole was left in '90,but the stranglers have been amazing with DM and i'm so glad that Dave's last input was a bloody good one.