JJ on Rockonteurs Podcast

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: JJ on Rockonteurs Podcast

Post by StanInBlack »

Eh, it sounded more to me like they just wanted to get all of things done that they're contractually obliged to do and then they're gonna see what happens next. Yeah - wait and see, time will tell etc. I'd be happier for them to continue as JJ Burnel & Baz Warne rather than as The Stranglers, obviously, because a Stranglers with only one original member still left ain't The Stranglers anymore. People can howl "Jim is a real Strangler! A REAL STRANGLER!" etc. into the abyss repeatedly as much as they like, there's no way I'll ever be convinced he's anything more than a placeholder behind the kit to keep things running post-Jet. I certainly don't see him as "a real Strangler" (whatever that means) in any case. It'll be the same for whoever they get in to "replace" Dave. I think once they've fulfilled all contractual obligations, that should be it. Now is the time to end it.
kjblack
Rats Rally

Post by kjblack »

Ruby wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 17:46
Bear Cage wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 16:42
theraven1979 wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 16:24 Good interview. Sounds like JJ intends to continue the stranglers
Hopefully
Not for me personally,it really is the end of the road now.Going on without Hugh was pushing it but without Jet and Dave as well it's a non starter, after their tour obligations.
The Stranglers is a brand with a catalogue of music composed and played by eight (so far) musicians.

I used to think they should have ended it after Hugh left, but going to - of all things - a classical music performance of a Mahler symphony, I realised that what I was enjoying was music composed and first performed by people a hundred years or more dead.

I know a rock band is not quite the same thing but the principle is the same - you go to enjoy a performance of an idea initially created by four individuals but an idea which survives beyond the lifespan of its creators.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

kjblack wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 18:29 I know a rock band is not quite the same thing but the principle is the same - you go to enjoy a performance of an idea initially created by four individuals but an idea which survives beyond the lifespan of its creators.
I know what you mean, like with tribute bands for example... oh wait...
kjblack
Rats Rally

Post by kjblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 18:32
kjblack wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 18:29 I know a rock band is not quite the same thing but the principle is the same - you go to enjoy a performance of an idea initially created by four individuals but an idea which survives beyond the lifespan of its creators.
The current line-up is, by some definitions, a tribute band.
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

Very interesting listen, even though he was telling stories most of us into the stranglers already know, JJ is usually very interesting to listen to once he gets going. Particularly liked the discussion around Euroman Cometh, and how it’s taken on a renewed significance because of Brexit.

I personally am not a fan of the band continuing as the stranglers now that Dave is gone either
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

StanInBlack wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 18:16 Eh, it sounded more to me like they just wanted to get all of things done that they're contractually obliged to do and then they're gonna see what happens next. Yeah - wait and see, time will tell etc. I'd be happier for them to continue as JJ Burnel & Baz Warne rather than as The Stranglers, obviously, because a Stranglers with only one original member still left ain't The Stranglers anymore. People can howl "Jim is a real Strangler! A REAL STRANGLER!" etc. into the abyss repeatedly as much as they like, there's no way I'll ever be convinced he's anything more than a placeholder behind the kit to keep things running post-Jet. I certainly don't see him as "a real Strangler" (whatever that means) in any case. It'll be the same for whoever they get in to "replace" Dave. I think once they've fulfilled all contractual obligations, that should be it. Now is the time to end it.
I think the problem is that you don't make that very clear in your posts - I find it quite difficult to figure out whether you're for or against the band continuing or not. You should be more strident in the opinions you share with us all.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

No Jet, no Dave, no major tours, no further albums.I don't see the point.
Last edited by Ruby on 13 Sep 2021, 11:59, edited 1 time in total.
gjinblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by gjinblack »

StanInBlack wrote:Eh, it sounded more to me like they just wanted to get all of things done that they're contractually obliged to do and then they're gonna see what happens next. Yeah - wait and see, time will tell etc. I'd be happier for them to continue as JJ Burnel & Baz Warne. I think once they've fulfilled all contractual obligations, that should be it. Now is the time to end it.
Seconded.
If there's no more Stranglers albums or tours it's over.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

euromanc-ometh
ricam
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by ricam »

StanInBlack wrote:Eh, it sounded more to me like they just wanted to get all of things done that they're contractually obliged to do and then they're gonna see what happens next. Yeah - wait and see, time will tell etc. I'd be happier for them to continue as JJ Burnel & Baz Warne rather than as The Stranglers, obviously, because a Stranglers with only one original member still left ain't The Stranglers anymore. People can howl "Jim is a real Strangler! A REAL STRANGLER!" etc. into the abyss repeatedly as much as they like, there's no way I'll ever be convinced he's anything more than a placeholder behind the kit to keep things running post-Jet. I certainly don't see him as "a real Strangler" (whatever that means) in any case. It'll be the same for whoever they get in to "replace" Dave. I think once they've fulfilled all contractual obligations, that should be it. Now is the time to end it.
And indeed you can also continually howl into the void that the Stranglers (not the Stranglers) are a tribute band with a terrible vocalist, lumpen drummer and a collection of sub standard songs.

You are basically the flip side to that coin.

Whilst some are very enthusiastic about the new material, I would take that good natured enthusiasm against a constantly negative campaign to knock the band any day.

Perhaps that's just me but I doubt it.

I'm also pretty sure you don't get to decide when they should "end it".

I've just realised. You are Hugh aren't you?

Well perhaps in your dreams matey. Image

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

kjblack wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 18:36
StanInBlack wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 18:32
The current line-up is, by some definitions, a tribute band.
With only one original member left true enough it's not much left of the original line up left agreed,but i can't see how the current line up is a tribute band if they are part of a band producing new material by themselves that has nothing to do with the original line up.I suppose doing the old songs live might seem like that what with only one left, but this line ups contribution to a brand new released album with their input on it can't be part of tribute band for me anyway,but i can understand why the many would think like that though,it may seem like they are.
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by 8088 »

Alternatively, you could say with only one original member remaining they're now on a par with Hugh and few begrudge him playing Stranglers material.

Surely, everyone happy with DM would welcome another album more or less the same style/content - which is entirely achievable with any new competent keyboard player in the fold.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

8088 wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 21:17 Alternatively, you could say with only one original member remaining they're now on a par with Hugh and few begrudge him playing Stranglers material.
You could, but the problem with that line of thinking is that Hugh Cornwell is not going out under the name of The Stranglers, because he recognises that what he does ISN'T The Stranglers (even though he's generally more recognisable as the voice of The Stranglers than anyone in the current line-up) - that's the point.