Water a great song IMHO.

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Re: Water a great song IMHO.

Post by Jake »

Sounds good from what I have heard, very interesting subject matter
ricam
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by ricam »

It sounds a very interesting track and I'm looking forward to hearing the full version.
The selection of songs I've listened to are certainly eclectic.
I'm hoping it makes for an interesting album from a band in this stage of its career.
The reviews bode well.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

OMG....just heard bits of the studio version for the first time on rat chat..Jesus it's another blinder!
This album i think could well be the best post Hugh....ROLL ON FRIDAY!
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Sounding better than the live medival folk prog thing. But let's wait and see. Time will tell. Let's just see etc

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by 8088 »

Every time I see this thread I can't not think of Alan Partridge's boating holiday video, "Water way to go!" :lol:
shah
The Raven
The Raven

Post by shah »

I also thought Water sounded like a right plod live from the last tour. Hearing the recorded version it's a different beast. A proggy beast still in search of a good chorus, but I can't wait to hear it loud at home.

Interesting choice of album opener though? Longships, Waltzinblack, Time to Die, Another Camden Thingy...Proggy Beast!
shah shaaah...go go...
shah shaaah...go go...
shah shaaah...
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

StanInBlack wrote: 08 Sep 2021, 20:43 Up there with "Peaches", "(Get a) Grip (On Yourself)" and "No More Heroes", eh?
It's a bit unfair to compare with these songs, they were younger had more energy, but IMHO Water is a quality song that shows the band can still write great songs and have something to say. The subject matter is interesting and the it has other meanings to of the West trying to force their version of Democracy on countries that have never had it, although its mainly about the Arab spring, you could easily link it to Afghanistan as well in a certain way, and look what a cluster fuck that is, but if you want to compare, can you hand in heart say any songs on Monster are as good as the ones you mentioned? Lt Kudu.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Greatkudu wrote: 09 Sep 2021, 09:45 It's a bit unfair to compare with these songs
But it was you that said "Water" was "classic Stranglers", which immediately invites the comparison :lol:
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by 8088 »

The reason I don't rate it thus far (might change with album version) is it sounds like a formulaic 'bitza' track - all the requisite parts are there to form the Stranglers recipe - but that alone is not enough.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

StanInBlack wrote: 09 Sep 2021, 10:45
Greatkudu wrote: 09 Sep 2021, 09:45 It's a bit unfair to compare with these songs
But it was you that said "Water" was "classic Stranglers", which immediately invites the comparison :lol:
Yes Touché I scored an own goal there, I will let you know when I actually hear the recorded version as a whole, a cop out, but I doubt album will be hear tomorrow, I think its classic Stranglers sonically. But as good as the classics, I will let you know with an honest appraisal, as I'm sure others will to. Lt Kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 09 Sep 2021, 11:51
StanInBlack wrote: 09 Sep 2021, 10:45
Yes Touché I scored an own goal there, I will let you know when I actually hear the recorded version as a whole, a cop out, but I doubt album will be hear tomorrow, I think its classic Stranglers sonically. But as good as the classics, I will let you know with an honest appraisal, as I'm sure others will to. Lt Kudu.
It is a classic agreed there but a classic as far as this band goes, stranglers classic sounding songs yes but i think anything post Hugh cannot be compared with the original mk1 for they will always be the untouchables for me anyway.I think this present line up is the best post Hugh for sure and still musically have that stranglers sound, if anyone has furthered themselves away from that musical style is Hugh but then he wanted to do that.I don't think i could compare a DM track with an MK1 track.I love the new intro to water from baz's guitar which sounds like a lovely start to the album this sounds from the bits i can hear by far a better more polished off song to the more live raw gem we heard years back.... where once again Louie has worked his magic in production.I think we are going to hear his high standard on production right across this album, making it hopefully a true CLASSIC as far as this POST Hugh band goes.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

toilerinblack wrote: 09 Sep 2021, 13:48 I think this present line up is the best post Hugh for sure
Conveniently forgetting about MKIII, there. Which at least had Jet and Dave as well as JJ, and a frontman that could sing.